The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Windpuff - Ice and/or Heat?

After jumping I always cool hose my horses legs, check for any swelling or heat, and so far, I've never encountered swelling or heat.

A few days ago I did a jump session with my horse, did my normal cool down (walk around copious amounts, cool hose, check for heat/swelling) and all was good. Today I came out to the barn and brought my horse in from his paddock and he has two windpuffs on the inside of his fetlock. One is larger than the other (one is barely noticeable and I barely felt it), yet it is still somewhat small; you have to be looking at it at the right angle and I only noticed it when checking his legs before our ride.

If I press on them he doesn't flinch or move his foot and the windpuffs are cold. I exercised him and then cold hosed them and they went down some.

He's never had windpuffs the 4 years I've had him.

How do I manage them? Do I want to cool them (ice boots/cold hose) after exercise and then put something like BOT No Bows on him overnight? Or should I be using standing wraps + poultice to keep his leg cool after ice boots/cold hose?

Thanks!

Sore No More liniment. No wrapping needed.

chicamuxen

back on track wraps will help as well

Thank you two for the responses.

I was looking between the EquiFit Ag T-Foam Standing Wraps vs BOT No Bows to wrap his legs in after hard jump sessions. Not really sure which one to go for. Really depends on whether I want to heat the legs (BOT) or keep them cool with poultice (Equifit T-Foam). That's kind of why I asked the question in the OP

Bump - really? No one has advice?

Windpuffs are cosmetic, so there is no "treatment" necessary. That being said, I had a TB mare that had windpuffs at the fetlocks of both hinds, so at shows I would poultice and wrap her overnight and in the morning, she would have nice tight legs.

If you never want to see them again, you're going to be wrapping your poor horse daily for the rest of their life. It's not necessary for either of you. I would confirm with your vet though that they are in fact windpuffs and not something else which should not be ignored.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I can tell what my horses are doing at night when they've been turned out based on their windpuffs. Quiet night with no motorcycles - no windpuffs the next morning. Exciting night with fireworks, motorcycles, neighbor children or whathaveyou...windpuffs the next day.

I ignore them. They go away. Even if chronic and lasting, that's just a sign of a horse that's been working hard. It's a blemish, not a lameness.

2 members found this post helpful.