The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Concerned about clipping and bare skin in minus degree weather

I am considering clipping my horse for the first time as I have to ride her all winter to do her rehab. I am concerned about clipping neck and belly as she lives out 24/7 and in BC, it is always below zero C until about March.

I know I can get her a neck cover but I worry about her "exposed" belly.

What do you do if you need to clip?

Thanks,
    Nancy!

I got my mare a blanket with a belly cover.

Do you need to body clip? I'd just do a bib clip especially this late/ early in the year.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy! View Post
    I am considering clipping my horse for the first time as I have to ride her all winter to do her rehab. I am concerned about clipping neck and belly as she lives out 24/7 and in BC, it is always below zero C until about March.

Thanks,
    Nancy!
    I live in Calgary. Cold weather is a constant during our winters too.
    I've done full hunter clips (only face and legs left hairy) and my horses have never had any ill effects in sub zero temps. That said, I do have a liner with a belly band (supra pagoda quilted) for when it's colder than minus 20 (my horses have always lived outside 24/7)

You can either clip the girth area and leave the rest of the belly, or get a blanket liner with a belly band.

What kind of rehab are doing? Does your horse sweat alot? I have one horse that works hard and sweats alot, he gets a high trace clip. Another doesn't have to work as much and doesn't sweat, he just gets his chest clipped. I would see how the rehab goes and then determine what kind of clip she needs.

I clipped my mare....faded her head and left her ears and the front of her face. I also left her belly and legs.....so a full "body" clip minus those two areas. She lives out 24/7. I do blanket heavily however and she is no wore for the wear. I hate and have no time for a sweaty horse after riding.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I am also spending winter doing rehab here in the mid-Atlantic, where our weather in the last two weeks has ranged from 24 with 18mph winds and rain to 74 and sunny. I chose a partial over full clip.

My horse is currently walking 20 minutes and trotting 15. He is expected to be cleared for canter work next week. He is pony-coated, with a thick layer of downy fluff covered by substantial guard hairs- the difference in loft between his clipped parts and his unclipped parts is about 3/4"!

He has been comfortable in work with a trace clip; he did sweat on the 70+ day but otherwise has not. I took off about 8" on his flanks; his entire chest to the end of the hair whorls between his legs; and a 2" strip on the underside of his neck. I also clipped off a strip on the underside of his face, between his jowls. The only parts of his clip that are exposed to the weather are the 2" between his front legs, the underside of his neck, and the underside of his face. He has been happily turned out in the worst of the weather with a turnout sheet layered under a midweight Rambo Wug.

Unless your horse needs it to stay cool enough for her rehab work, I would not do a full body clip in the temperatures you are referencing unless her rug has a full neck and a belly band- and I would leave half the face and the legs.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I'm in Alberta
    I ride my boy 4-5x a week and he lives outside all the time. I clipped his neck and chest but left his belly alone.
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

I would think you can not do a lot of heavy riding in that temp. Being late in season & never been clipped, sounds a bit risky. You may gain in 1 area but loose in others.

Thanks,
    Nancy!

Cinder is in rehab for a tear in her hind suspensory. We have been doing 15 minute warmup walk, 4 sets of trot for five minutes with a 5 minute walk break between and a 10 minute cool down. She has been fine so far with no sweating but last week got cleared to change out one trot set for a canter for 5 minutes.

Every two weeks, we exchange another trot set for a canter set. She gets slightly sweaty just on her neck and girth area now.

I have no options except to keep riding her outdoors and we are used to the colder temps (most days). I like the looks of the bib clip but will have to buy a blanket with a neck. Good to know some blankets have belly protection.

The blanket I got my mare has a belly band and you can attach a neck cover if needed. I got it from Schneider's.

Quote Originally Posted by HealingHeart View Post
    I would think you can not do a lot of heavy riding in that temp. Being late in season & never been clipped, sounds a bit risky. You may gain in 1 area but loose in others.
    Lol, you must not be Canadian. My whole life (other than now that I'm at home) we have ridden all winter, including cantering and jumping lessons, without any problems. Our cut-off temp for lessons was always -25C (-13F).
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks,
    Nancy!
    When my horse lived out, I clipped the underside of his neck and most of his body, but left his belly alone.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Lol, you must not be Canadian. My whole life (other than now that I'm at home) we have ridden all winter, including cantering and jumping lessons, without any problems. Our cut-off temp for lessons was always -25C (-13F).
    I couldn't imagine!!!! I think it's like 40f out right now. Over cast and I'm curled up in a blanket dreading going back out to the barn!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

OP, if you're riding outside I would just stick to some sort of trace clip. I'm currently in Edmonton with a heated arena so my guy has everything clipped except his head, legs, and the area of his belly that isn't covered by the belly band. He lives out 24/7.
    The barn also has racehorses and a track so they can keep training outside through the winter, even they just have trace clips and often work with a quarter sheet to keep the big muscle groups warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ready To Riot View Post
    I couldn't imagine!!!! I think it's like 40f out right now. Over cast and I'm curled up in a blanket dreading going back out to the barn!!!
    Lol, it's about 20F here now and I wore my light coat out to throw hay. You get used to it. Yes really.

Now that I don't have access to an indoor, I don't ride if it's colder than about 5F, unless it's a nice sunny day. If the sun is shining I might still ride unilt about -5F.
    Jigga:

I'm in Edmonton and my horse lives out 24/7. I've been doing a version of an Irish clip, and clip the girth area. On the bottom of the stomach, I clip with the hair, instead of against the hair, so it gets shortened but still offers some coverage. She gets sweaty in this area so shortening the hair shortens my drying time (I usually use a hair-dryer for about 3 or 4 minutes).
    I have no intention of showing over the winter so I am more concerned with function than form.

OP, I'm in Central BC and in the same boat. I did a bib and chaser clip on my two horses and had no issues with any sweat, and the one has a thick dense coat. I just clipped far enough back to take the hair off the girth area, and left the rest of the belly covered. You also don't have to take off a wide strip on the underside of the neck. I did a narrow strip that got a lot wider around the chest on my mare as she doesn't have a neck cover.

That said, when I moved my gelding (with the chaser clip) to a boarding facility and started riding indoors, I had to take a lot more hair off to avoid sweat.

Start small, you can always take more hair off if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HealingHeart View Post
    This may be the funniest post (from a Canuck pov) ever written
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

3 members found this post helpful.