The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cribbing collar + fly mask?

I have a new horse, an Appaloosa, who needs to wear a fly mask to protect the pink around his eyes and his entire muzzle (when I got him it was so bad it was scabbed up and would bleed).

I have tried 6 different types of fly masks and I can't get him to keep one on. Ears/no ears, tying it to a halter, tying it to the neck of his fly sheet, everything!

Someone suggested putting on a semi-loose cribbing collar or type strap and attaching it there so he can't pull it over his head (when he gets it off the velcro is still attached).

has anyone tried this?

I had a gelding in the past who was a master at removing and losing his fly mask. Then I tried a different style because the fitted type I had for him orginally I couldn't find to purchase. I went with what was available which was the Absorbine brand which is much fuller in the face. I never had a problem after that he was more than happy to leave it on. I guess he didn't care for the fit( of the original kind) and it bothered him so he kept rubbing it until it came off.

Could you just try a neck strap or neck sweat instead of an actual cribbing collar? Although they do make cribbing collars that are just wide leather straps with no nutcracker action. I'm not sure any of the above would help if he can get a flymask off that is attached to the crown piece of the halter! Determined fellow.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

What kinds of masks have you tried so far? I have the best luck with the Crusader long nose mask with NO EARS (makes a big difference), and the Kensington long nose mask also with NO EARS.

Anything with ears, my pink-nosed mare can get it off. No ears, she keeps it on.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    What kinds of masks have you tried so far? I have the best luck with the Crusader long nose mask with NO EARS (makes a big difference), and the Kensington long nose mask also with NO EARS.

Anything with ears, my pink-nosed mare can get it off. No ears, she keeps it on.
    I currently have the Crusader long nose with no ears (like you suggested). He seriously waited until I turned around the start mucking and then somehow got it off. I've also tried the regular length crusader (no ears), the Rider's Internat. (with and without ears), and the Ultra Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Could you just try a neck strap or neck sweat instead of an actual cribbing collar? Although they do make cribbing collars that are just wide leather straps with no nutcracker action. I'm not sure any of the above would help if he can get a flymask off that is attached to the crown piece of the halter! Determined fellow.
    I meant the type of neck strap you linked. My horse that wears a cribbing collar wears one of the old school french ones so I forget that most others are a bit intense.

I would try a regular ol' SuperMask without ears. In my experience the Cashel ones (and the Riders is modeled similarly) come off too easily because the velco is too low on the jaw. The elastic doesn't help. I have a gelding with an eye issue and it is imperative that his face is covered. The SuperMask is about the only one I trust to stay on (the Durvet ones here: http://www.horse.com/item/durvet-dur...-mask/E009853/ is another).
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

The style CrowneDragon linked to are the only ones I've had much luck with. My old mare has to wear a mask April- October (old eye injury) and everything else gets rubbed off.

I have a boarder who is a fly mask houdini as well, what we have done and that is safe is go to Walmart in their sewing/craft section they have elastic straps to strap blankets into rolls sold in pairs, put zip ties on top of mask I use 2 at ear site, run elastic straps through zip ties, have another zip tie made into a 3-4 in loop, put the velcro on the mask through the loop so then you can run the elastic straps through the zip tie under their jaw. There are 3 points of attaching strap to mask. You can make the strap fairly snug since it is elastic. I use this set up for grazing muzzles as well.