The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me! i suck at math!!!

OK I need to buy shavings now as my freebie place has slowed down production for the winter. I saw an ad and called but I feel that the price is very high.
    I can get a 20 yards delivered for $400, or $15.75 a yard plus delivery. However, I have TSC 2 miles away and Agway 11 miles away who both sell sawdust by the bale. TSC is $4.99 a bale for 3.3 cubic yards and Agway is $5.99 for 3.0 cubic feet, which are much nicer than TSC's honestly.

Honestly, I suck at math but it seems as if the baled bags are still cheaper than having it delivered, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    TSC is $4.99 a bale for 3.3 cubic yards and Agway is $5.99 for 3.0 cubic feet, which are much nicer than TSC's honestly.
    ?
    my guess is either bale is measured in cubic feet, the question becomes what rate of compression was used ...if any...

27 cubic feet in a cubic yard

The truck load would be none compressed, just loose

So you have to open one of the compressed bails let it expand then measure its loose volume in order to compare one to one

We found, at least in our case, we use compressed bails as they are easier to store and we can be more specific in what shavings we put in whose stall.

Just to make things more confusing for you, I generally find that the bulk shavings are more absorbent than the bagged shavings so you use less.

I suck at math too
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I think you need to go read the bags at TSC and Agway again. They are probably both in cubic feet, and probably claim an actual measurement and what they fluff up to.

From your numbers, Agway charges $2 a cubic foot, which is $54 a cubic yard.

At $400 your 20 yards is $20 a cubic yard.

But, a 3 cubic foot compressed bale probably fluffs up to double its size, so you are probably comparing $20 a yard delivered bulk to $27 a yard bagged.