We set it up today in the tack room out in our barn, with the idea that while we were doing barn chores, we could slip in there to get warm every 10 minutes or so (it's brutally cold here today!).
IT WORKS GREAT! Our tack room is approximately 10 x 12, not insulated, but with finished walls and ceiling and a ceiling fan. Inside temp went from under 20 degrees F to almost 50 degrees in less than 30 minutes. We have decided that the only thing missing was a decent CD player and a couple of thermoses of coffee -- which we plan to bring out next time!
CAVEAT: It's easy to get confused on these, I accidentally ordered the outdoor-only heater, which is confusingly called the same thing. Sent it back and got this indoor-safe one. If you decide to buy one, be SURE you get the indoor-safe model.
The unit has a low-oxygen detector and automatic shut-off, which ought to suffice.
CO detectors are cheap insurance -- but they do generally require electricity, which not everyone has out in their barn or in the tack room.
I have a propane fireplace with low-O2 detector and automatic shut-off in my house ... and I also have a CO detector plugged in nearby, so I hear you on that! However, I personally wouldn't worry in my own barn / tack room because 1.) not using the device for overly long periods of time; 2.) personally, my tack room and barn are both plenty well ventilated! In fact, that is one of the reasons we need some heat!
Last edited by King's Ransom; Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Do you think his could help warm a tack stall at a horse show? Obviously tack stall has walls but no roof. I suppose using it anywhere near hay and shavings is a huge fire risk. Have been trying to figure out how to have a place to warm up at horse shows!
Yes, I would keep it away from combustibles like hay and shavings. Wash stall, tack room, dressing room on trailer -- that is where I think of using it. AND, I personally would only run it while I can see it. It does heat up fast, so you could just run it for a few minutes, warm your hands and your hiney, then turn it off.
Ha ha ha -- okay. Yeah, I was told that about my propane fireplace, too. But after two years, I have not noticed a thing.
I think these issues come up when you use them in a very tight (air-tight) environment -- like a really well-insulated, non-drafty room. This does not usually apply to a tack room or a barn, or a trailer dressing room.
Also, I wasn't suggesting this as a central-heating kind of thing, where you just leave it running all the time. If you're going to use it to warm up a wash stall while you're washing a horse -- well, a little bit of extra moisture isn't going to bother much. If you're using it to warm your hands and hiney for 10 minutes while you're doing barn chores in sub-zero weather, you're probably not going to die of asphyxiation, wet-down the area, or burn things to the ground. Only on very rare occasions do things spontaneously combust while we're standing there using them according to the manufacturer's approved directions.
No, I would not set this thing on high next to a stack of hay and go inside for the night, either.
But, if you'd like a little extra heat where you don't have electricity, this thing works great!
Also note, there is just one itsy bitty tiny flame, heating up two ceramic grids...not a big flame like traditional propane heaters. This is radiant heat from the ceramic grids. Pretty neat.
Last edited by King's Ransom; Dec. 30, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
I think folks, me included, are just saying the obvious...because someday someone not familiar might read this thread and understanding the safety issues with portable space heaters is really important. There are too many accidents out there.
BF just got one of these for Xmas, so did his dad, they look really great!
I have an electric ceramic space heater I love - it blows cool, warm, or hot air, you can set it on a time, it oscillates, no flame, and has a VERY sensitive tip switch so it's virtually fool proof (ceramic is protected by fan and grate so it can't get stuff on it). But yeah, there are only so many extension cords I can plug in at once!!!