The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Also need some jingles for Tiger Bay

He sustained a small cut last Thurs at his LF fetlock region. This AM there was some swelling, no heat though and no temp. Due to the swelling, I called the vet. He ultrasounded it, and was very concerned that the cut might have compromised the flexor tendon sheath. Ultrasound showed a scant amount of fluid within the tendon shealth as compared to the RF. Right now he is treated it conservatively with SMZ's because it is very mild but there may be an infection of the tendon sheath which is not good to say the least.

If Tiger gets worse he needs to go the clinic where they will tap the tendon sheath, lavage it and treat with antibiotics. Vet did say if they couldn't get it under control he would have to go to Cornell for further treatment which would include going under general anesthesia which I immediately said NO.

Much as I love this horse, he's going to be 22 yrs old in another couple days and has been retired for several yrs. I've had him since he was 7 so he's more than family but I can't rationalize further treatment at Cornell. If he were a younger horse in work, it would another story so PLEASE, send jingles for him. He's a good guy and deserves all those curb chains shaking for him.

Thanks in advance.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default Jingles & AO ~ ((hugs)) ``` Tingles for Tiger !

Jingles & AO for Tiger !!!!

Monitor and when in doubt head to the clinic !

A 'treasure' he is and so you must 'stop' this quickly !!

The clinic can pump him with fluids and antibiotics most efficiently !

((hugs)) for your heart

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Major jingles for T-bay!!

Thanks Zu Zu and JB.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Many jingles for Tbay coming from AZ right now. I'll jingle all the way home to NY.
    Get better Tbay - you are to special to leave us now.

Mary
    from western NY

What about limb perfusion? I would look into it now, probably at Cornell. They did it to my horse after surgery, but they could just do it. Maybe worth looking into? Its sounds worse than it is, but they put on a tourniquet for about 30 min and inject antibiotics. They do this a few days In a row but its not as expensive or invasive as surgery.
    Good luck Tiger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Callista17 View Post
    What about limb perfusion? I would look into it now, probably at Cornell. They did it to my horse after surgery, but they could just do it. Maybe worth looking into? Its sounds worse than it is, but they put on a tourniquet for about 30 min and inject antibiotics. They do this a few days In a row but its not as expensive or invasive as surgery.
    Good luck Tiger!!!
    Thanks for the suggestion. The vets have already suggested that. I think they can do this at GVEC and he doesn't have to go to Cornell.

As of this morning, the swelling is down virtually 100%. The standing bandages sure helped. He's being very good about getting the SMZ's orally and not spitting too much on me! Still no increased temperature.

I'm crossing my fingers he doesn't have to go the clinic. If he does, Black Points is loaning me another horse to keep Tiger's buddy, Kiwi Puzzle, company. Puzzle is already a loan from Black Points. Thanks Mary.
    Sue

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Jingles for Tiger Bay continue on this New Year's Day !

Jingles & AO continue for Tiger Bay on this New Year's Day ~

Jingles!!!!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Thanks again all. Happy New Year to everyone.

So far Tiger is looking good. His temperature is normal and there isn't any swelling from over night (standing wraps on as he's shut in due to single digit temps). Still a bit off but it doesn't seem to stop him from doing a terrific gallop around the indoor.

Your jingles are working. Vet due back out Friday AM and hopefully, if he does another ultrasound, he won't see fluid.

Thanks again for the jingles.
    Sue

The vet was out today and was glad to see Tiger trotting soundly and the swelling and tenderness gone. He wants him to stay on the course of the SMZ's (Monday morning last dose) and to keep the stable wraps on for a few more days, but feels he looks really good. Both he, the horse and I are VERY happy.

So COTHer's. thank you for your jingles. They worked!
    Sue

deleted, double post.
    Last edited by msj; Jan. 3, 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: double post
    Sue

Glad your boy is doing well!

Default Great news about your Tiger Bay ~

Great news about your Tiger Bay

Sending Saturday sunshine !!!

Great that he's gaining ground so fast! I think it takes SMZ's forever to kick in, but they are far better than stabbing these poor beasts with Penicillin.

Absolutely keep up the course. I'd be willing to go extra days, but that's just me.
    Taking it day by day!

Ditto vicarious! He goes till Monday on SMZ's and is doing just peachy! So glad the Vet's decided to try the conservative approach AND that I couldn't get him to the clinic immediately for them to try to tap the little bit of fluid that they saw on the ultrasound.
    Sue