The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Default Obamacare and Helmets

Just wondering,
    Those who are very "pro-helmet, every time, everyone regardless of age"; do the new regulations in Obamacare for no lifetime cap change your views at all?

Usually on the "helmet threads" one of the main points, stressed above others is the fact that those who choose not to wear a helmet do cost others, as a traumatic brain injury is likely to exceed any insurance caps and therefore, raises costs for everyone.
    That is now a non-issue, due to the changes to insurance negating a lifetime cap.

Does that now change any opinions, and leave you more open to "personal choice"? Why or why not?

Note: I am not referring to minors and those not able to consider all aspects to the helmet choice.

Doesn't change my mind at all, but I've taken care of many patients with TBI. It's very sad. For me, the money argument is one I've made in the past when discussing it, but the real reason is safety and a better chance at a meaningful life and outcome.

However, MANY people I ride with don't wear helmets. I'm the exception rather than the rule. I wish they would, and I might say it every 6 months or so, but I don't make it an argument. I care about my friends and don't want them hurt in any way.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

2 members found this post helpful.

Nope. Who do you think will be paying for milions of dollars in medical costs? The insurance companies don't manufacture money out of thin air. If there are many catastrophic claims in any given year, they'll have to raise premiums on all subscribers to cover them, same as they do now.

29 members found this post helpful.

Just because an individual doesn't have a lifetime limit doesn't mean that catastrophic situations don't affect the risk pool. Therefore the tradeoff the insurance companies agreed to to emphasize preventive care for dropping the limits.

So, to answer your question - no it doesn't change my opinion as we as responsible individuals should be doing all we can to minimize risk in order to keep health care costs low for all of us.

13 members found this post helpful.

I've known several people severely hurt (broken back, fractured skull, etc) who have fallen off ladders at their home while cleaning gutters, taking down Christmas lights, and doing minor repairs.

I'm for wearing helmets while riding horses, but wish people on ladders would wear helmets also.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Usually on the "helmet threads" one of the main points, stressed above others is the fact that those who choose not to wear a helmet do cost others, as a traumatic brain injury is likely to exceed any insurance caps and therefore, raises costs for everyone.
    That is now a non-issue, due to the changes to insurance negating a lifetime cap.
    Where do you think the money to pay these now higher costs comes from?

10 members found this post helpful.

Someone still ended up paying the bill before the lifetime caps were lifted. They filed for bankruptcy and went on Medicaid. We were already paying for the bills that were written off because there was no insurance. No real difference.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

10 members found this post helpful.

Of course it doesn't change my view. I don't want a TBI if I can avoid it, no matter who would be paying for my care. I don't want it for you, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

13 members found this post helpful.

No it doesn't change my view. There are still plenty of costs that would not be covered by insurance. Plus as others have said somebody still pays those bills, the money come from somewhere. No one person or one family will ever contribute enough in premium to offset a multi-million dollar hospital bill for TBI. Yes, I paid for one that was $2.8 million dollars after the PPO discounts. No, she was not wearing a helmet. Yes, I saw the picture of the side of her head with the perfect hoof mark.

Loss of earnings for injured person- disability only covers a portion of salary and may have a benefit period of 2 or 3 years.
    Care giver might have to miss work or turn down overtime to take person to doctor's visits.

Depending on specifics of resulting disability these items may be necessary but not payable by insurance.

Retrofitting a house for handicapped access - ramps
    Handicapped vans
    Custodial home health care where they do/help with activities of daily living such as help with transfers, brush teeth, bathing, feeding. If it isn't medical care such as changing dressings, physical/occupational/speech therapy, it normally is not covered by insurance.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I saw the picture of the side of her head with the perfect hoof mark.
    Yikes!!!

Nope

Just wondering,
    Those who are very "pro-helmet, every time, everyone regardless of age"; do the new regulations in Obamacare for no lifetime cap change your views at all?

Does that now change any opinions, and leave you more open to "personal choice"? Why or why not?

Note: I am not referring to minors and those not able to consider all aspects to the helmet choice.
    No. Why would it?

This just means that the rest of us taxpayers are going to have to pocket the cost of someone's choice of not wearing a helmet. Why on earth would I be in favor of taking on someone else's medical bills?

7 members found this post helpful.

Not to say that the financial end is unimportant, but....

I knew somebody who had a TBI from a riding accident. She was wearing a helmet, and she was an excellent rider. She was in a coma for weeks, and in a rehab facility for some time after that. I visited her a few times, both in the hospital and at the rehab facility. Just seeing the facilities and the care involved made a huge difference in my tendency to wear a helmet. Anything that can be done to reduce the odds of needing that level of care is worth the effort.

She did make a tremendous recovery, but I think it's a fair statement to say that her life was changed forever.

And if anyone has any doubts, watch the recent update video from Courtney King Dye. http://youtu.be/pNfRVNrdyEU

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    No. Why would it?

This just means that the rest of us taxpayers are going to have to pocket the cost of someone's choice of not wearing a helmet. Why on earth would I be in favor of taking on someone else's medical bills?
    But you already were, nothing has changed in that way.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a change of heart, as quite a few on the other helmet threads stressed that the main reason was the bankruptcy of families as their main reason for being concerned about what others do (or do not do, as the case may be).

1 members found this post helpful.

So how is the fact that it seems everyone is more aware now that costs will be shared by all going to effect other risky behaviors?

Interesting.

So how is the fact that it seems everyone is more aware now that costs will be shared by all going to effect other risky behaviors?

Interesting.
    What is your opinion? I'm trying to understand what you're getting at here (I don't read the helmet threads). Could you explain what your concerns are and how obamacare increases or assuages those concerns?
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Just wondering,
    Why would it??

As if somebody would say, oh so what if I get a disabling head injury, I can't be bankrupt by medical bills! If somebody does that he or she is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    What is your opinion? I'm trying to understand what you're getting at here (I don't read the helmet threads). Could you explain what your concerns are and how obamacare increases or assuages those concerns?
    Not getting at anything, I was just wondering if it had changed any minds in any manner.

So many of the responses on the helmet threads were of the vein of "I wouldn't risk bankrupting my family from medical bills", "No one should ever do something so risky that could cause their families to lose everything due to the huge medical bills TBIs cause", etc.

I was just wondering if the removal of that possibility (no lifetime cap, no preexisting condition clauses) had changed any opinions more toward a "I wouldn't, but if they want to risk their life, whatever" response.

I also was wondering if the fact that many more policies will be affected (larger risk pools including more people) by people's risky behavior if that is going to lead to less risk tolerance by all.
    For example, skiing without helmets, skating without pads, boating and water skiing without life jackets, etc.

I was trying to purposely leave out my opinion on the matter, but I am pro helmet (I like my brains just the way they are).

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Why would it??

As if somebody would say, oh so what if I get a disabling head injury, I can't be bankrupt by medical bills! If somebody does that he or she is a moron.
    I was wondering more about the attitude toward others not wearing helmets; if it was going to lead to a more "whatever, at least your family won't be bankrupt by your stupidity" attitude instead of the "everyone should every time" point of view.
    If you look back over the helmet threads medical costs and family bankruptcy was mentioned by many as a reason everyone should be required to; I was just wondering if that would change one way or the other.

I was wondering more about the attitude toward others not wearing helmets; if it was going to lead to a more "whatever, at least your family won't be bankrupt by your stupidity" attitude instead of the "everyone should every time" point of view.
    If you look back over the helmet threads medical costs and family bankruptcy was mentioned by many as a reason everyone should be required to; I was just wondering if that would change one way or the other.
    No, the cap on costs will not change my view. The soon-to-be-old argument of huge medical bills was a good one, however, that point was only a piece of the puzzle. Everyone will still have to put money in the pot for catastrophic injuries.

I think everyone should wear a helmet because it does reduce the risk of life-altering head injuries. Why put yourself and your family through the trauma when there's something you can do to help avoid it?