The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin off from Botox-Blepharoplasty?

Upper eyelid for me...
    If I'd only inherited my Mom's deep Slavic eyes! but no, my Dad's Scotch-Irish droop...plus the wild, sticking-up eyebrows as I get older (lol) (but that is another thread)...

At this point it is 60/40 appearance/function...this past summer I started to be much more aware how sticky eyelids are when sweaty like during a great ride...but I'd be lyin' if I didn't say it was also appearance

I know of 2 people who had this done, one great result, the other really bad. In the spirit of full research, I'd love to hear from anyone who has had upper eyelid surgery, and the good and the bad!

1 members found this post helpful.

One of my bff's has had it, and she looks awesome. Her doctor is in SoCal if you're interested in a referral. Be sure to tell the surgeon about the issues you have in your daily life with this - it can be covered by some insurance in that case. I'm going to do it one day myself (along with neck lift, face lift, tummy tuck, and personality transplant).

haha-no personality transplant-maybe a b** reduction...
    but the functional part is important too
    KY is a bit far from Cali unfortunately

I know three or four women who have had it done. On one I couldn't see any difference (but she was relatively young and I didn't think her eyes looked bad to begin with). On the older women the results looked good. In some cases their eyelid droop was so bad that it was obscuring their vision. I think I am heading in that direction and will eventually have it done.

As with any other cosmetic surgery, interview more than one surgeon, make sure you see plenty of before and after photos, ask lots of questions (especially about what the outcome will be), and don't let anybody perform surgery on you unless you're 100% certain you trust them!

2 members found this post helpful.

My upper eyelids are starting to droop more and if I am tired, I have to make an effort to open them wider, Especially when on the computer or watching television. I know I could not afford the eyelid surgery but I worry it will only get worse.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

yes-obscuring vision is something you don't think about with "cosmetic" surgery but it is real.

Sannois, it might be that insurance will cover it if it is obscuring your vision. Keep that in mind! Check your policy to see what it covers and if it is covered you can fight for it if you are denied.

A former co-worker had great results. Her eyelids were obscuring her vision and it made her look less healthy (she was in her 40s). Definitely find an experienced dr (as in experienced in THIS surgery).
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Hey, Renee Zellweger had great results! (Not sure she actually needed it, I thought she looked just as good before.)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Find out where they will 'hide' the scar. In the eyelid crease or next to the lashes, or wherever they put it now, is virtually invisible. A friend's husband had one, and they put the incisions in the wrinkles above his eyes (no, the friend, and I never heard of that, but her hubby was fine with it). See before and after photos, and find out how many of these procedures the doctor does a year. And if the eyelid sag interferes with your vision, then the health insurance might pay for it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Had it done about 8 years ago, need to do it again next year, unfortunately it doesn't last forever! Gravity is a bitch! However they are still much better than before the surgery even after 8 years.

I was very very happy with the results (was 50 at the time I had it done) and the recovery time was minimal. I healed very quickly, much faster than I had expected. I went to a very reputable plastic surgeon to have it done. Will have him do it again next year!

The scars faded quickly and no one can tell I had surgery on my eyelids other than I could actually see again and didn't look like a droopy eyed drunk all the time!

Just make sure to get a good doctor, ask (older) women you know who look good for referrals without insulting them! lol!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I had mine done, although it was covered by insurance because it was affecting my vision. Left eyelid has been lazy over the last 10 years or so and got progressively worse, so I had it fixed last year. Unfortunately there's some neurological effect that makes the opposite eye "compensate," so my right eyelid started to fall! I had the right one done this past November and I now look awake for the first time in YEARS.

Mine was done by a surgeon who specializes in eyes and the incision was done along my eyelid. It was under local anesthesia -- I highly recommend taking a Valium or other relaxer as it's a bit unnerving to have your eyelid being cut! Left scar is barely perceptible, but the right one is still healing so you can still see a small line.

I can post before/after photos if I can find them.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

FrittSkritt, would love to see photos!