The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sometimes I get it. I didn't this year as it just wasn't convenient. Was talking to my Mother and my Step Sister is a critical care nurse in S. Carolina. Apparently they've had a number of people come in with the "bad" flu (whatever strain that was) and die. Young people. She made me promise to get the shot so I will this week.

FWIW, I'm not young...am 50 and healthy. Not at high risk.

Yes, and I have been for years. I am in at least two groups considered "high risk" if they catch the flu. I had the flu almost every year as a teen, before the vaccination was available, and it knocked me out for over a week each time, my mother had to take time off from work because I was too sick to get out of bed, and I could easily have landed in the hospital. I have not had the flu once since I started getting the shot, in spite of moving to a higher risk part of the country and commuting on public transit since 2001... and now, for the past 3 years, working in a hospital.

The hospital thing is really important. I work at one of the huge hospitals in Boston, with 16,000 employees and thousands of patients, one of the biggest ERs in the city, outpatient clinics, etc. The likelihood of getting exposed to the flu in this setting, and more importantly if I get it, exposing someone who is as high risk as I am or moreso, is too great for me not to get the shot. Yet I listen to coworkers every year discussing how they're not going to get the shot, they're going to lie about it, it doesn't do any good, etc. It drives me up the wall! Luckily none of us work directly with patients, but we work near the high risk pregnancy clinic, which has a lot of women who would be in dire circumstances if they got the flu, some of whom cannot get a flu shot.

I have had mild soreness in the injection site a few times, and after this year know not to get the shot when I have a cold. The next day I had fever and chills and ended up not going to work.

Keep in mind that each year's shot is different, and based on the somewhat difficult task of predicting which 3 or 4 flu strains are most likely to show up. It's not perfect, but it helps.

/waves hi to Canaqua, who is by far one of the most sensible local horsewomen I know!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

1 members found this post helpful.

My son and I do every year, and this year I asked DH to as well since we were planning on visiting family for the holidays. We're not high risk ourselves, but we have two elderly grandmothers and a few young infants in the family, and I'm not real keen on the idea of killing seniors and babies.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

3 members found this post helpful.

No, I've never had one; neither have my kids or dh.

Yes, I'm in a high risk group. I had flu about 10 years ago, it turned into Pneumonia, then Pleurisy. I was sick for about 2 months.

For those healthcare workers fighting for the right not to take the shot...I hope I'm never in your care.

7 members found this post helpful.

I get one every year since I've been in college. Which is now going on 7 years and my 3rd degree. @_@ Sitting in lecture halls with 100's of my closest friends sicknessed spread like wildfire. The first year plague in vet school pretty much consumed everyone. I only ended up with a very mild sore throat and it ended at that. Flu shots for me please.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Yes. We're waiting to get it late this year, though, because my son keeps getting the flu in March or April, when I guess the coverage of the shot has worn off. Two years ago, it was verified by flu test. This year, they were OUT of flu tests, so it was just diagnosed based on symptoms. Those are his only real illnesses, so it's not like his immune system isn't effective, generally.

2 members found this post helpful.

yeah, why not? it's incredibly safe and who wants to get sick when they can avoid it?

6 members found this post helpful.

I've never had the shot or the flu. I teach school and am 52 yrs. old. I figure I'm not messing with what has worked for me so far. I am a fanatic hand washer, tho.

The company I worked always provided them as does my health care plan so, yes, I do get a flu shot annually.

My Mother used to get them until one yr she became very ill the entire winter and her Dr at the time told her not to get another one. She may have been allergic to one of it's components.

Last night on the evening news they reported that so far 10 states have serious flu problems.

If you can get one and don't have any of the possible problems relating to the shot, like egg allergy or other problems, it's well worth getting it. Your health care company probably will provide it free of charge.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I get one every year, free here in Ontario. I shake a lot of hands every day, and do not want to catch the flu! I've never had any side effects, and can't remember the last time I had the flu.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Not normally. I did get it one year when I knew I would be having surgery in January, so I figured my exposure in the hospital and due to healing would put me more at risk. It was a year where there were two shots, one for H1N1 and one for the regular strains that year. I got both. I don't remember which I got first/second, but one of them made my arm very tingly and almost numb for the rest of the day. Nurse couldn't find a reason. Since then, I haven't gotten another one.

The one year I did get the flu, my entire family did as well and just about all of them had received the flu shot.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgirl View Post
    Not normally. I did get it one year when I knew I would be having surgery in January, so I figured my exposure in the hospital and due to healing would put me more at risk. It was a year where there were two shots, one for H1N1 and one for the regular strains that year. I got both. I don't remember which I got first/second, but one of them made my arm very tingly and almost numb for the rest of the day. Nurse couldn't find a reason. Since then, I haven't gotten another one.

The one year I did get the flu, my entire family did as well and just about all of them had received the flu shot.
    I wonder if they could have hit a small nerve branch when they gave you the vaccine. Nerves run all throughout the muscle and it's certainly possible they could have hit a slightly larger branch. That tingling/numbness is what it felt like when my nerve was being repaired that they'd damaged during a tooth extraction.

My allergist insists I get a flu shot every year and we added the Pneumonia vaccine this year. I've got serious allergies and uncontrolled asthma so it's a big deal if I get sick with those.

Yes, kinda have to for work.

No. I've been a teacher for 10 years, and while the kids come down with the crud that knocks them out for weeks on end (even had one with swine flu a few years ago), I've never gotten a flu shot and never gotten the flu. I do, however, workout regularly, eat fairly well, and get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. That, coupled with the crud I'm exposed to on a daily basis, seems to have created a fairly hardy immune system.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

No, I do not get flu shots.

No, I never had a flu shot, neither did my kids or husband.
    I've only had the flu once in my life and it wasn't "that" bad, really.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    No, I never had a flu shot, neither did my kids or husband.
    I've only had the flu once in my life and it wasn't "that" bad, really.
    The very definition of self centered. Yes, the flu for you may not be bad. Or in all likelihood, the particular strain you had was not particularly virulent.

For people like me, it can be very bad, even life threatening and I'm better off than the young and very old. That is why 1000s of people DIE every year frm flu.

I'm happy for you, really. But the more people who get shots, the less it gets passed around to folks like me.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    The very definition of self centered. Y
    Nice.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!