The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Do you get a flu shot?

I was just curious to know how many people on the forums get a flu shot every year? I realize that there are many people in certain occupations who are required to get a flu shot. I have not gotten a flu shot in the past couple of years. I guess I just kinda forgot about it However, I just read a story earlier that H1N1 is going around and now I am reconsidering getting the shot. What do you all think and who gets a flu shot every year?

My company offers them for free so I get one. We've already had several flu/H1N1 deaths in our areas.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I get it every year, but was also required to get it for clinicals this year.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I don't get the shot and I have never caught the flu. Around flu season I choose to be extra careful that I get more fruits and vegetables and take an immune support supplement. It works for me even if I am in the same house as someone with the flu (which I have been on more than one occasion). I'm not an avid hand washer either

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    My company offers them for free so I get one. We've already had several flu/H1N1 deaths in our areas.
    My sister & her boyfriend live around Cypress & Wharton; they have had the flu for weeks now, first him,then her,then him. Back & forth between them. Scared all of us enough to where my husband & I will be getting our flu shots this week, pronto, I had a flu shot in the 80's, my husband never.
    Sis is getting hers on Monday . This year flu is really devastating.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

No. I had flu as a kid but I choose not to get this vaccine.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

Yes, but its more or less a requirement at my work. You have to sign all kinds of forms if you dont want to do it, and they badger you. Also I have a young child in the household, and what with all the germs Im exposed too... (supervisors all use the same grimy desk and computer) I figured its just as well. Last year,and several other times I have gotten mild flu like symptoms afterward ( I know they say its impossible, but..) This year I felt fine and carried on.

I do as I am in a higher risk group based on other health issues.

I don't get flu shots. I live pretty far out and dont go out amongst a lot of people hardly at all, so i dont bother. Can't remember last time I had the flu either. I do think people who live in towns and cities, or people working in areas with lots of people, such as schools, should get them.

New York State requires that all health care providers and hospital staff get a flu shot OR wear a mask for the entire flu season. So I got a shot this year, There is a court case that will be heard in Albany about this.

Nope. I've gotten the shot twice before, and each time I've been quite sick for a week after. Discussed with my primary care, and she agreed that I should skip the shot and just keep tamiflu on hand. Weighing a certain week of sickness versus the chance of getting the flu comes out in favor of not getting the shot.

From a public health perspective, I agree it would be better if I got it, but I hope the fact that I work from home and don't encounter that many people on a daily basis controls that risk to some extent.

As for the impossibility of getting flu symptoms after the shot - it's apparent NOT impossible. My allergist explained to me that though the shot includes a killed virus (meaning that you can't get the flu from it) the point of the shot is to provoke an immune system reaction. In some people, especially those with auto-immune conditions or allergies, the reaction can be strong enough to be an issue.

I do, every year, and so does everyone else in the household. I had a flu back in 1998, when I was working full-time, doing an MBA at night and had a young child. I caught it right during exams at school and our busy budget season at work, so I couldn't even really be sick...I was soooo miserable trying to work when very ill. I never wanted to go through that again!

We got the H1N1 flu when it came around in 2009, before they had a vaccine for it. I got moderately sick (at age 47, like a regular flu. Little guy (7 at the time) ran an extremely high fever and was pretty sick, but he recovered quite quickly. My PCP and the pediatrician discouraged us from coming to the doctor, as they were trying to contain the spread, as there was no vaccine and no one had immunity. We were told to treat at home, call them as needed and go to the ER if certain things occurred (they did not!).

The then 20 year old, away at college, got VERY sick and the college quarantined him (along with a few others) in a house...nurses came in to check on them and they shoved food under the doors so staff wouldn't get it. It took him a couple of months to be 100% again.

DH is the only one who didn't get it, as he was away in CA on business...I called him and told him not to come home quite yet, until little guy and I had no fevers and were likely not as contagious any more.

The pattern with H1N1 was for it to be most dangerous for the young adult age group (the ones with the most robust immune systems)...we certainly found that to be the case. So, if H1N1 is circulating again, you healthy young people should be sure to get the vaccine!

3 members found this post helpful.

My husband has to get one due to health reasons but I had never gotten one until a couple of years ago.

We went through the drive thru to pick up some meds and our pharmacist saw us and came to the window. He said "Y'all are on State Merit, come in and get your flu shot, no cost, insurance pays." So we did.

My husband made me go this year as he had gotten his but I had not so one day after supper he went to pick up some meds and told me to get in the car as I was getting a shot.

I do teach school so I should do it anyway but sometimes you just get busy.

I've gotten it for the past 4 years, it was free at my university. I haven't gotten one this year, but I probably will at some point.

Sometimes. Doesn't seem to matter one way or the other as I have gotten quite ill some years with classic flu symptoms and stayed healthy other years with no correlation with getting the shot or not. Shot itself usually doesn't bother me except about 3 years ago it really made me miserable.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I didn't get one so far this year. My primary doctor's practice offers them "for free" (I think insurance actually pays) on a walk-in basis in the Fall, but I've been too busy to go, and I think they've stopped for the year. I may just have to suffer through a phone call to the doctor's office to see how I can still get one.

Company provides one free, but I do not get the shot. When I did, I had flu-like symptoms for several days. This year, I have heard from people who did get the shot, and also got the flu, including a very close friend who ended up in the ER. The shot provides immunity from three (I think it's three; you may want to check if you're into fact-checking) strains of flu virus. Since the vaccine has to be made in advance, someone had to select which strains will be in the vaccine. The idea is to vaccinate for the most likely strains, in such a way as to give maximum protection to the population. Some unlucky people caught a strain of flu for which they had not been vaccinated.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

No - I take medication that has depressed my immune system, so it's not a good idea for me to get vaccines right now.

From a herd health perspective, I really appreciate all of you who have gotten the shot

Yes, I get one every year. This year I think I caught the flu anyway, but I was only down and out for about 3 days, so I think the shot helped.