The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Newer Spreader and paddock pickup

I just found and bought a slightly used larger model Newer Spreader..yay!

My horses are not stalled often, but are in a winter paddock that is about 1.5 acres. Every morning I go around with the wheelbarrow and fork and pick up poo. Is there a way with the spreader to make this easier? I know I can hook it up and drive it around instead of walk around with the barrow, but that is almost as time consuming.

I think this is the only way to do it, but wanted to see if anyone does it differently.

Just wondering but wouldn't it be easier to use a muck bucket cart and a muck bucket rather than the wheelbarrow? Simply because once you've gotten the manure out of the paddock, it would be easier to pick up and dump into the Newer Spreader from a bucket than the wheelbarrow.

Just a thought.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

What's the terrain like in the paddock?

If it is flat and smooth enough, you should be able to pull the Newer Spreader around by hand with the same effort required by the wheelbarrow.

I pull mine around by hand all the time, empty and loaded. If it is a short distance, I bend over and use the handle on the hitch. If it is a longer distance I have to go, I snap a leadrope to the handle and pull it around that way. The leadrope allows me to stay upright and not hunched over.

I once spread a full load of manure in the Newer Spreader by pulling it by hand. DH was using the lawnmower that I usually pulled it with, so I figured, why not? It wasn't too awful hard, but I wouldn't want to do it multiple times a day...

Quote Originally Posted by moving to dc View Post
    What's the terrain like in the paddock?

I pull mine around by hand all the time, empty and loaded. If it is a short distance, I bend over and use the handle on the hitch. If it is a longer distance I have to go, I snap a leadrope to the handle and pull it around that way. The leadrope allows me to stay upright and not hunched over.
    It's not flat, but I wheel around the barrow so think I can do it with the spreader. I love the lead rope idea! I'm gonna do that.

Msj - I wasn't going to take it from the wheelbarrow to the spreader. I was looking for easier ideas to move around the spreader when picking up manure. I thought there might be a step I can reduce, but I don't think there is.

For small volume, we pick into a tub-in-cart, and roll that to the spreader. If we're a few days behind on picking, we just drive the mower/spreader combo into the paddock and pick right into it. The horses have designated 'toilet' areas, so it's fairly easy to park near those and toss the piles in. Depending how long I expect to be, I'll either shut the mower off or leave it idling on the lowest setting.