The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My son has ADD and gets Allegra instead of Claritin for his allergies as it is 'mildly' sedating. If it sedates him, I can't notice.

He is also on the swim team, he swims 5 nights a week for 1.5 hours... great sport for him. Again I don't notice a difference, but I imagine I would if we stopped.

He gets limited sweets and is a carb loader like me. It's something I need to work on myself, so maybe a menu change family wide is in order, I will check out that LowCarbFriends site.

He also gets an Omega Red Krill oil tab daily per the info below:
    http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/1684.html
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Just wondering, why high protein, and not high fat?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

When I was on a low carb diet I used to make egg muffins for breakfast. I would beat some eggs, add salt/pepper and a little cheese with veggies. You could skip the cheese.
    Some were tomato and spinach. Some were broccoli and onion. I normally had to par cook the onions and broccoli. Some I added bacon or pieces of sausage. I would make a 12 tin muffin tray and eat 2 per morning. A quick zap in the microwave and they were done. Made for an easy breakfast.

I tried a number of recipes from here. Not sure if there is anything for a picky child.
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/

One thing I liked was to saute up ground beef, mix with a can of rotelle and a cube of cream cheese. I would frequently add canned green beans. Since the cream cheese melts to a sauce maybe he won't recognize it as cheese. But this might be too weird for a kid.

DH is pretty picky too. We buy him bags of precooked breakfast sausage from Costco. They microwave quickly. I like them better if I microwave them for 1 minute and then saute them to get them crispy on the outside but DH is fine with them straight from the microwave.

They also have a bulletin board so you may want to ask there too. There are threads on the bulletin board with low carb recipes. I tended to stay in the Atkins one since that was the diet I was on at the time.
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLily View Post
    What about just packing a lunch and sending him to school with it? Surely he won't starve himself? He might learn to expand his palate which would make it much easier.
    hahaha - you've clearly never dealt with (or been) a very picky child... not eating is definitely the preferred option over "gross" foods for some kids

Breakfast ideas: These are really good. My January goal is to eat these more often! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scrambled-Egg-Muffins-2/
    - definitely don't forget to keep plenty of fat in the diet when going low carb

Speaking as a picky eater: finely chopping or grating veggies and adding them to a dish like tacos or meatloaf can be a lifesaver - those are easy to up the nutritional content of a primarily meat dinner.

I haven't been brave enough to try it yet, but I have heard amazing things about cauliflower crust pizzas!

Luna bars are great for snacks - they're just fruit & nuts. A bit high carb if you're dieting, but perfect for a kid on the go avoiding grains & such.

Bring him to the store and tell him that he can pick out any 3 fruits that he wants! Sometimes it's fun to try the funny star-shaped fruit but if you brought it home yourself he wouldn't touch it.

I bought cauliflower for pizza tomorrow. I told dh but of course am not going to tell kiddo. Were not cutting all carbs though, just the ones from rice, bread, breakfast cereals, etc that quickly become the staples of a picky kid's diet.

I'll try the egg muffins, as they sound like they may be a hit! My mom used to make breakfast pizza that's similar but with a very thin layer of canned rolls as the crust, and I loved that stuff. Might try it with the cauliflower. He loves fruit, and I've come up with some ways to sneak veggies into things. I think we will swap tortillas for bread and use a good bit of filling for roll-ups for lunch. He will eat homemade chicken salad. Thanks for all the ideas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I bought cauliflower for pizza tomorrow. I told dh but of course am not going to tell kiddo. Were not cutting all carbs though, just the ones from rice, bread, breakfast cereals, etc that quickly become the staples of a picky kid's diet.

I'll try the egg muffins, as they sound like they may be a hit! My mom used to make breakfast pizza that's similar but with a very thin layer of canned rolls as the crust, and I loved that stuff. Might try it with the cauliflower. He loves fruit, and I've come up with some ways to sneak veggies into things. I think we will swap tortillas for bread and use a good bit of filling for roll-ups for lunch. He will eat homemade chicken salad. Thanks for all the ideas!!
    OP I would really try removing artificial colors and flavors too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Since most of the stuff with artificial colors etc is also full of salt or sugar, most of that is gone from our house anyway. So far its gone well, he's asked for candy etc but hasn't made a fuss when we say no. The cauliflower pizza was a no go though. Dh said it was edible but he certainly wouldn't choose that for dinner.

Pizza is one of those dishes that isn't worth eating without a good crust, in my opinion.

Since you have so many variables to work with - I'd definitely try easing into this because it's likely to be a grand failure if everything that is presented is yucky.

I would stop trying to cut out all carbs, and instead start with sugar and wheat and anything highly processed or things like meat with nitrates (lunch meats, for example). That really will be hard enough on its own, even if you keep carbs in the mix.

I have a couple of gluten free friends and they have found a few specific things that really make the difference for them -- for one it is brown rice tortillas...she can make burritos or "sandwiches" and that helps keep things like bacon and egg breakfasts from getting really boring. For the other it's buckwheat lavash (flatbread) - and though she could make it she found a store that carries a good one and she can make pizzas or sandwiches from it as well.

I know those are technically still "carbs" but they are probably better carbs than most things out there, and might make your life a little easier....

Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Some of the recipes I've seen (and a few I've used) used almond and/or ground flaxseed flour for things like muffins, pancakes, etc.

Surprisingly good and minimal to no carbohydrates. Some of those recipes might work for a packed lunch or snack.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

fwiw when my kids told me they didn't like something, especially if I knew they hadn't really given it a fair try, I just changed the name and maybe the shape or container of the item when I served it again.
    most times they went with the 'cooler' name and ended up liking the food.
    hth!