The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default low-carb "diet" for a picky kid, any experiences?

DSS may has trouble focusing, and to try to help him before we can get in for testing, we are going to try the low-carb diet recommended by some experts for ADHD kids. The whole family will be doing this of course. However, the kiddo is a very picky and very poor eater in general. He will eat the typical kid foods, pizza, hamburgers, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, sugary cereal, that kind of thing. We will have to start making him breakfast and lunch for school instead of allowing him to eat those meals from the cafeteria. This is going to be hard for him.

Any suggestions to make the process easier? Ideas on quick, high-protein, low-carb breakfasts? We both work and have a baby to get ready too. Ideas for lunch and snack that don't make him look like the "uncool kid"? The schools here actually tell the kids to bring money for candy every day for snack time.

Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I have a selective eater who won't eat regular pizza, but loves cauliflower crust pizza. Breakfast is often chicken tacos, or baked chicken fingers and home fries. You need to think outside the box of normal breakfast food. Yogurt parfait are a favorite when we have slumber parties. Wrap Turkey slices around cheese sticks for lunch. DD likes to take salsa, shredded cheese and plain tortilla chips in her lunch.

Good luck with the home made lunch....
    Try Bento though, the Japanese art of making boxed lunches 'cool'
    http://justbento.com
    http://lunchinabox.net/
    http://ss-biggie.livejournal.com/
    Since the 2nd link is broken

Pick 'good carbs'
    Like vegetables. Potatoes are 'starch' but not like empty grains.

Involve the kid more in cooking. it makes a difference. Maybe try planting a little garden. It also is different eating vegetables you grew yourself.
    make hamburgers that are not on the bun but on the plate.
    Last edited by Alagirl; Dec. 28, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Forgot toention he's in third grade, if that matters. His mom always worked late, so yes not used to home-cooked meals, much less healthy ones.

Potatoes, rice, pasta, and bread beyond what's needed for a sandwich aren't allowed.

What's the Benito thing? Is that a way to make the food look cooler and more appealing?

Luckily his aunts work in the cafeteria so they can ensure he doesn't sneak "not allowed" food. The fruit and healthy snacks part instead of candy may be the hardest for him. Luckily he enjoys some kinds of nuts and most fruits, but as most people do, he prefers candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    What's the Benito thing? Is that a way to make the food look cooler and more appealing?
    check the links
    it's a pretty fun way to fix lunches (for everybody actually) in cool containers, looks nice and it's real food.
    And I think it would help for him to stand out in a cool way, not being that kid with the homemade food...you know, the brown paper sack
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bent...w=1416&bih=758

it takes a little to get organized with that and plan ahead a little.

Also, don't cut out all the fun foods. Have that one piece of candy for desert.
    I have shown some kids how fun and sweet crunchy sugar peas are. I think they are as good as candy. Just keep things where he won't get crazy wild cravings.

Plus you can 'cheat' a little: Use something like Nutella, on whole grain bread, slap some bananas or other fruit on their...it's delicious and pretty healthy.

I think the problem is that most 'bread' in the US is this horrible white bread.
    If it had more other grains in their, it would not be as bad and more filling. We hardly ever have sandwich bread anymore, but even the higher end breads are pretty much 'white'
    I grew up on mix bred, rye and wheat....white was a rare thing for us.

Also, substitute brown for white rice. In most cases it does not matter and even DH has not complained when that was what's on the plate.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Even brown rice is a no-no from what I've read with this kind of diet. Its supposed to be almost entirely fruits, veggies, and protein. Any idea where I can fine some recipes?

Even brown rice is a no-no from what I've read with this kind of diet. Its supposed to be almost entirely fruits, veggies, and protein. Any idea where I can fine some recipes?
    In the links.

I cannot believe candy is available for purchase at a school. What is wrong with people.

2 members found this post helpful.

As long as he is eating real food, you probably don't need to worry about the exact macronutrient ratio (i.e. keeping carbs down to x% of total calories). Eliminate grain, sugar, and processed foods, and you should be good to go. Just make sure you are not trying to keep it low fat.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always called this "whole" eating versus low carb.

Breakfast Ideas:
    Sausage or bacon with eggs
    Scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa
    Hardboiled eggs with string cheese
    Fruit Smoothies using coconut milk

Lunch
    Lettuce roll ups (lunch meat, cheese, mustard wrapped up in romaine lettuce leaves)
    You can also fill with chicken salad, tuna, taco meat, etc.
    Salads with grilled chicken
    Salads with taco meat, tuna, chicken salad, etc.

Dinner
    Meat and veggies
    You can replace mashed potatoes by using cauliflower in a food processor. It truly makes an excellent replacement. The same can be used to make pizza crusts.
    Sweet potatoes make excellent lower carb potato substitutes. You could do baked chicken fingers and sweet potatoes fries.
    You can also do "fried" chicken by dipping chicken in beaten eggs and dipping in parmesan.

Def not trying g to keep it low-fat, just cutting out the grains, sugars, sodas, juices, etc that so many people fill up on. From what I've read, the diet is aimed at being low-carb and high-protein. Also supposed to avoid preservatives and I think red and yellow dyes.

I'm going to have to look up this cauliflower thing. I've always hated it, maybe there is hope!

And yes his school really does encourage candy. The whole menu is also planned by the parish school board and is full of garbage. Diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and heart disease are more common than not. I work with someone who has a 4 yr old who is probably in the morbidly obese range now, and all he can talk about is how she's such a healthy eater. The lifestyle is nuts.

My 3rd grade dd has anxiety disorder and the low carb/high protein diet helps out immensely. Of course she is also extremely picky (goes with the territory). So it takes a lot of work to keep her fed. Her diet is mostly fruits, vegetables, cheeses, yogurt, peanut butter, preserves instead of jelly (Costco has the best ones), etc. Her lunches usually have those Chobani greek yogurt tubes (very high protein), mozzarella cheese sticks, cucumber slices, clementines, dried fruit with sunflower kernels and 5 or 6 chocolate chips. They can have small amounts of sugar as long as they are getting lots of protein.

I am currently trying out the wheat free thing and I feel a ton better already. If I stay feeling this much better I will wean her off wheat and see what happens. If you read Wheat Belly you may decide to try it as a way to help DSS.

I've not read wheat belly but heard a lot about it. That's going to be a much harder sell for DH. He's on board with the low-carb as something to try, but no wheat either would go over like a lead balloon right now.

I wish he ate cheese or peanut butter. He dislikes peanut butter, and his dad doesn't like cheese except on pizza so thus he says he doesn't either. Probably years of listening to his dad say its nasty.

Will he eat boiled eggs? Are the yogurt tubes a possibility?

Cold pork ribs, chicken or turkey drum sticks, these go well in lunches.

Too bad about the cheese, darn it! Have you tried different kinds of cheeses, or some less common fruits? Maybe something will appeal. (Oh, god, that was a terrible pun. My apologies).

Tofu can be flavourful when fried up with seasoning/sauce.

Is school nut free, has he tried straight nuts instead of peanut butter? Hopefully dad can get on board and be encouraging! Good luck! A lot of the autism related diets are a bit tough, too.

I've not read wheat belly but heard a lot about it. That's going to be a much harder sell for DH. He's on board with the low-carb as something to try, but no wheat either would go over like a lead balloon right now.

I wish he ate cheese or peanut butter. He dislikes peanut butter, and his dad doesn't like cheese except on pizza so thus he says he doesn't either. Probably years of listening to his dad say its nasty.
    Yes it would be way too much all at once!!! I will do it bit by bit, starting with cereal. There are a lot of good cereals with no wheat, and oatmeal too.

What about just packing a lunch and sending him to school with it? Surely he won't starve himself? He might learn to expand his palate which would make it much easier.

Oh he will go a whole day without eating if he doesn't like what's offered. He won't even try anything called "cheese", so no go there. I don't think the school is nut free, thankfully.

He likes most meats, and most fruits. The veggies are the hard part. That and my lack of creativity in the kitchen!

The thing to be careful with when utilizing diet plans with picky kids is not eating enough can cause other problems. Especially if after testing you go the medication route since most of them are appetite suppressants. I was a picky eater to begin with and Ritalin killed my appetite which triggered migraines.

As a less picky adult I can eat enough to stave off a headache if I'm on Adderall but as a kid it was frustrating because no one understood why I couldn't just make myself eat.

Good luck with everything! I'm 22 now and when I was younger there was never really any suggestion of a diet plan as a treatment. I don't think it would have worked for me either way (did I mention I really was EXTREMELY picky?) but there are so many more options now, even only 10 years later.

I would try the old Feingold diet before I would go low carb with a child. Cut out the sugar and the highly processed foods, including white flour, in addition to artificial food colorings, etc.

http://www.feingold.org/overview.php

The Feingold diet has been around since at least the early 80's....so there have been plans out there. Of course, this was pre meds...it's so much easier to just prescribe meds. The diet doesn't advocate cutting out sugar, but I did. I used raw honey (rarely and in small amounts) for cooking.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Dec. 29, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant