The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    You little rebel you! Yeah, I'm from the generation that says work may be a four letter word but it isn't a dirty one. Why do schools/teachers get tasked with the childs care? I understand the idea of helping every kid in need, but is the current system working? It just seems to me that we are creating a society that can't cope on their own.

And you know if you are on public assistance but don't live within walking distance to a real store maybe you should consider moving. I finished reading an article on the ending of the extended benefits for unemployment. Some people might have to move to find work or even take a job with lower pay than they had before. Oh gasp, really *sarcasm*. Growing up on a small family farm I learned if you want to eat you have to work, it's not rocket science.
    I really hope life never throws you a curve ball.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    When passing the test became the reason for education, we got a huge problem.

There, fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    You little rebel you! Yeah, I'm from the generation that says work may be a four letter word but it isn't a dirty one. Why do schools/teachers get tasked with the childs care? I understand the idea of helping every kid in need, but is the current system working? It just seems to me that we are creating a society that can't cope on their own.

And you know if you are on public assistance but don't live within walking distance to a real store maybe you should consider moving. I finished reading an article on the ending of the extended benefits for unemployment. Some people might have to move to find work or even take a job with lower pay than they had before. Oh gasp, really *sarcasm*. Growing up on a small family farm I learned if you want to eat you have to work, it's not rocket science.
    Moving isn't free. There's deposits and rent to pay, trucks to help you move your big stuff, gas, etc. If you (general you) are on public assistance, I doubt you're going to have that kind of cash available.

Also, if you're on public assisted housing, you can't always just live wherever you want. If the rental assisted housing is in place X, there may not be a shop within walking distance.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    There, fixed that for you.
    Not enough coffee...what can I say?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    When passing the test becomes the reason for education, we've got a huge problem.
    Holy crap. Are we agreeing on something, Laura?

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Holy crap. Are we agreeing on something, Laura?
    It appears so. I don't think it's the first time either. Alagirl and I have been on the same page recently too. Is it the end of the world?

Maybe it is a Christmkwanzhannusaturnafestivsolstice miracle!

2 members found this post helpful.

The devils and demons are getting geared up for Sochi...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I was a free and reduced lunch kid.

But I also had a mother who made sure I knew how to eat all the food groups at home. I didn't really notice people throwing away excess food at school either, but maybe it was the group I sat with. I didn't really associate with the people on the "higher rungs".

My mother for a while was the head person in the cafeteria at a SoCal school. Very, very poor area at the time. She worked hard to create desirable food for the kids...often this was all they had to eat. When we moved and she applied for jobs in our new area/state, she mentioned her tips/tricks to make food more appetizing, healthier and so forth and the cafeteria manager laughed at her. Wasn't worth her time or effort. How sad for those kids.

I didn't mind the cafeteria food from my mother as a kid. For some reason, I remember eating leftovers. Don't know how it all worked.

Then again, we also ended up with a kitten from that school too, so who knows how that happened as well.

Back to the original statement. It would have been terrible to been singled out. Kids already have enough stress from other kids without really getting the kiss of death [free/reduced lunch scarlet letter!] when a parent gets laid off or whatever.

3 members found this post helpful.