The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

First let me say that I've never ever voted for that jerk Jack Kingston, who was caught on video up in north GA telling republicans that kids who get "free" lunches need to have to sweep the cafeteria floor to pay for them. Every time I've run into him at a funeral or a partyl or a police officer gathering, I've made d*** sure I never shook hands with him. He's not really interested in the women's vote anyway since he has always had the bigoted white male vote locked up. The ******* lives only a few miles from me. he's "made" me vote for a lot of people I'd normally not vote for. Oh yeah, and he breeds his golden retriever bitch as well, like more dogs are needed for his voters. Not my type of politician. Now he's running for the US Senate, and he and Broun will hopefully knock each other off by outbigoting each other. (My horses luckily live in a county where their US Rep is the nice John Barrow, the ex-husband of the great eye vet Dr. Pentlarge.

Look, kids who don't have the money to wear the "right" clothes or have the "right" possessions already catch hell at school. When I went to school, kids who didn't have the things others had were looked down on. (My mother paid a lot of their student fees as she was class mother.) Poverty is a stigma already, without kids having to do manual labor at school. Grown adults? Sure. Have something like Roosevelt's civilian conservation corps, which an ex-boyfriend of mine said his father was in during the depression up in north GA. The CCC saved that family and allowed my ex-boyfriend to go to medical school. So the parents of kids at school could work AFTER SCHOOL to pay for lunches and activities for their kids.

I had one friend in college who had to serve us lunch and dinner. OK so our college in VA had the chandeliers all over the dining hall, one over each table of 8, with table cloths and servers to bring us our food and milk. And those who didn't have as much money as others worked as servers at lunch and dinner to earn extra money. And my friend's father was head of the dept of sociology at Wake Forest. I can only imagine how demeaning it was for Sandy, and how worse it would be for a very poor person had to work at school and sweep the floors under out feet at lunch.

There should be no hungry kids at school. Period. Let Jack Kingston spend some of those millions he collects from the gun lobby and the far right to buy food for the poor.

6 members found this post helpful.

People who are all for just feeding these kids ought to know that a great deal of this free food is wasted...many of them apparently aren't hungry enough to not be picky and throw most, if not all, of the food away. I've had people who work in school cafeterias tell me they have garbage cans overflowing with this food at the end of the lunch period.

Where does it all end, people? They get school buses, they get free breakfast and lunch and in some schools, dinner, and then we hear that while we're at it, they need school supplies too...and then we hear that the schools need yet MORE money taken in the form of taxes because they don't have X, Y or Z. The PTA people running the annual fundraiser fun fair at our local middle school don't even know what the money is going for, just that it's "for the school". In many places, including here, the lottery was supposed to help pay for schools and make it all better, but it does not. Yet another shell game in the name of "saving the kids and educating them" and then having the money, billions of dollars, go out into the who-knows-what.

I'm pretty sick and fed up with the whole thing. I personally don't think holding them to some degree of accountability, like the article where someone suggested they pay a little something like a dime or so for a meal, is asking too much. When they want junk food bad enough, they'll find a way. I certainly don't see requiring all of the kids to help keep the school clean as a problem either. We had to do it back in my day, there's no reason why the school kids today can't start to take some pride and ownership in where they go to school. Breaking the cycle of entitlement has to start somewhere, and not just with the "poor" kids but the others as well.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    People who are all for just feeding these kids ought to know that a great deal of this free food is wasted...many of them apparently aren't hungry enough to not be picky and throw most, if not all, of the food away. I've had people who work in school cafeterias tell me they have garbage cans overflowing with this food at the end of the lunch period.

Where does it all end, people? They get school buses, they get free breakfast and lunch and in some schools, dinner, and then we hear that while we're at it, they need school supplies too...and then we hear that the schools need yet MORE money taken in the form of taxes because they don't have X, Y or Z. The PTA people running the annual fundraiser fun fair at our local middle school don't even know what the money is going for, just that it's "for the school". In many places, including here, the lottery was supposed to help pay for schools and make it all better, but it does not. Yet another shell game in the name of "saving the kids and educating them" and then having the money, billions of dollars, go out into the who-knows-what.

I'm pretty sick and fed up with the whole thing. I personally don't think holding them to some degree of accountability, like the article where someone suggested they pay a little something like a dime or so for a meal, is asking too much. When they want junk food bad enough, they'll find a way. I certainly don't see requiring all of the kids to help keep the school clean as a problem either. We had to do it back in my day, there's no reason why the school kids today can't start to take some pride and ownership in where they go to school. Breaking the cycle of entitlement has to start somewhere, and not just with the "poor" kids but the others as well.
    Don't throw a million issues into one pot.
    Stick with lunch as you will, don't bring in the million fundraisers. Not sure when you last set foot into a school, but some are in dire need of funds. Some for luxury items, some for essentials...

Alas:
    cafeteria food.
    What is your point about much being thrown away?
    Do you suggest that the poor kids eat the leftovers?

I don't like wasted food, but heaven knows, a lot of cafeterias transform perfectly fine ingredients in something I would not want to slob the hogs with! I cannot blame kids for not wanting to eat that.

No, not all poor folks are hungry.
    But it's not really the school's job to weed those out who are getting fed.
    or those who never had decent food in their lives, making them picky eaters.

Lead them to water, let them decide if they want to drink.
    Like you open the school doors, giving them the opportunity to learn.

I asked DH about this 'working for food' idea....'hmm, no' was his answer as I was sure it would be. Over 40 years have passed and this still is a black mark on his soul...being poor and singled out.
    Singled out for home made clothes, even though they looked like the in stuff everybody wanted.

We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Don't throw a million issues into one pot.
    Stick with lunch as you will, don't bring in the million fundraisers. Not sure when you last set foot into a school, but some are in dire need of funds. Some for luxury items, some for essentials...

Alas:
    cafeteria food.
    What is your point about much being thrown away?
    Do you suggest that the poor kids eat the leftovers?

I don't like wasted food, but heaven knows, a lot of cafeterias transform perfectly fine ingredients in something I would not want to slob the hogs with! I cannot blame kids for not wanting to eat that.

No, not all poor folks are hungry.
    But it's not really the school's job to weed those out who are getting fed.
    or those who never had decent food in their lives, making them picky eaters.

Lead them to water, let them decide if they want to drink.
    Like you open the school doors, giving them the opportunity to learn.

I asked DH about this 'working for food' idea....'hmm, no' was his answer as I was sure it would be. Over 40 years have passed and this still is a black mark on his soul...being poor and singled out.
    Singled out for home made clothes, even though they looked like the in stuff everybody wanted.

No, I am not suggesting they eat leftovers, merely that many of these kids who get the free lunch don't want to eat it or only pick out the parts that they want, so portraying them all as the starving masses is not accurate. There may very well be a few who genuinely need and will eat the food, but do you honestly think the other kids don't know who they are?

Back in the day, we were all required to wear or have on hand a student ID. Pretty typical around Chicago, especially if students were taking public transportation anywhere, which many did. Stickers and/or punches that are not immediately visible on the back work just fine for identifying who is in "the program" without shouting it out in front of everyone.

2 members found this post helpful.

No, I am not suggesting they eat leftovers, merely that many of these kids who get the free lunch don't want to eat it or only pick out the parts that they want, so portraying them all as the starving masses is not accurate. There may very well be a few who genuinely need and will eat the food, but do you honestly think the other kids don't know who they are?

Back in the day, we were all required to wear or have on hand a student ID. Pretty typical around Chicago, especially if students were taking public transportation anywhere, which many did. Stickers and/or punches that are not immediately visible on the back work just fine for identifying who is in "the program" without shouting it out in front of everyone.
    You might as well make them eat from the trash can or stamp 'poor' across their forehead...
    You know that even though the EBT card looks like a credit/debit card...it doesn't, right, you think the dot would make a difference?

or the poor kids have to eat the bad food, but the one's who paid for it can avoid the stomach ache by tossing the food before eating it?
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

They? They is "we".

3 members found this post helpful.

Where does it all end, people? They get school buses, they get free breakfast and lunch and in some schools, dinner, and then we hear that while we're at it, they need school supplies too...and then we hear that the schools need yet MORE money taken in the form of taxes because they don't have X, Y or Z. The PTA people running the annual fundraiser fun fair at our local middle school don't even know what the money is going for, just that it's "for the school".t In many places, including here, the lottery was supposed to help pay for schools and make it all better, but it does no. Yet another shell game in the name of "saving the kids and educating them" and then having the money, billions of dollars, go out into the who-knows-what.

You are sure it's the poor kids and not the rich ones throwing the food away?
    I don't know what state you are in but here in VA the lottery does go for education but that simply means that the state reduces its budgetary contributions by the same amount. The schools don't get any extra money
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My niece who has a school age daughter, and btw is a teacher in a public school, is all in favor of the free lunch. I was shocked to find that her daughter gets these free backpack lunches.
    Interesting topic. My niece has joined one of those weight loss clubs and lost about 50-75 lbs and has kept it off for about 6 years. She has totally changed the way she eats, but alas! the girls not so much. The 20 year old daughter is probably 40 pounds overweight. The teen girl is very involved in dancing but is still overweight. They are very very picky. Good thing, she doesn't keep chips or cookies or pop in the house.
    I skimmed over the articles and I agree you cannot single out the poor kids, but think asking them to take a little pride is not out of the question.
    The problem here is that entitlements need to be changed drastically. As soon as that is said, you become a pariah, cruel, child hating ogre. Why does everyone agree things need to change but scream when someone proposes an actual change. I think you shouldn't be able to buy cookies or chips or coke with food stamps. Maybe people should spend more time in their kitchens and less time at McD's. No one said children should eat the leftovers, but several school systems have gone for a more healthy meal, and the kids won't eat them. I can see where you need to get em when they are young, but what IS the answer? Just keep pouring money into the schools and come up with dismal results?
    And although I am as old as a dinosaur, did I have the only good school cooks in history?
    Another killer of threads

Alagirl, may I use that as my signature line? I don't think truer words have ever been spoken on this forum.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Alagirl, may I use that as my signature line? I don't think truer words have ever been spoken on this forum.
    Yes, of course.
    Although I wish it wasn't true.

Yes, of course.
    Although I wish it wasn't true.
    Thank you. So do I. Especially the first part.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    My niece who has a school age daughter, and btw is a teacher in a public school, is all in favor of the free lunch. I was shocked to find that her daughter gets these free backpack lunches.
    Interesting topic. My niece has joined one of those weight loss clubs and lost about 50-75 lbs and has kept it off for about 6 years. She has totally changed the way she eats, but alas! the girls not so much. The 20 year old daughter is probably 40 pounds overweight. The teen girl is very involved in dancing but is still overweight. They are very very picky. Good thing, she doesn't keep chips or cookies or pop in the house.
    I skimmed over the articles and I agree you cannot single out the poor kids, but think asking them to take a little pride is not out of the question.
    The problem here is that entitlements need to be changed drastically. As soon as that is said, you become a pariah, cruel, child hating ogre. Why does everyone agree things need to change but scream when someone proposes an actual change. I think you shouldn't be able to buy cookies or chips or coke with food stamps. Maybe people should spend more time in their kitchens and less time at McD's. No one said children should eat the leftovers, but several school systems have gone for a more healthy meal, and the kids won't eat them. I can see where you need to get em when they are young, but what IS the answer? Just keep pouring money into the schools and come up with dismal results?
    And although I am as old as a dinosaur, did I have the only good school cooks in history?
    ALL the kids need to learn pride and ownership of their school, not just the poor ones.
    Put all kids to work to keep the school shiney and new. You won't hear a single peep from me.

Some kids just won't eat food they don't know. Probably not even if they were starving. That's one of the facts of life, it's hardly a local problem. I had a dear friend just have an aweful fit over cafeteria food one time. She poured about half a bottle of Maggie seasoning into the soup. The food wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. But she acted like it was inedible. Just part of the deal, the higher socioeconomic rungs tend to be more forgiving about strange foods, eat something they never had before. 'What the farmer doesn't know he won't eat' is one old German proverb!

When to get the kids?
    In preschool. at the latest!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Cafeteria cooks and planners have their hands tied by the USDA. No, the meals aren't always great, but the kids are REQUIRED to take one of each group. Not their fault they throw away food they were forced to take. School lunch quality and requirements are one of my soapboxes. I asked when DD was in school why we carb loaded kids and expected them to stay awake and learn in the afternoons. The answer was that lunch was the last meal many got until school breakfast the next morning. So we had sleepy kids not doing well in the afternoon. How are poor grades going to break the cycle of poverty?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Cafeteria cooks and planners have their hands tied by the USDA. No, the meals aren't always great, but the kids are REQUIRED to take one of each group. Not their fault they throw away food they were forced to take. School lunch quality and requirements are one of my soapboxes. I asked when DD was in school why we carb loaded kids and expected them to stay awake and learn in the afternoons. The answer was that lunch was the last meal many got until school breakfast the next morning. So we had sleepy kids not doing well in the afternoon. How are poor grades going to break the cycle of poverty?
    The USDA attempted to rewrite the guidelines reducing the amount of potatoes served. The potato producing states objected and the revision was dropped.
    Doesn't everyone need hash browns for breakfast and fries for lunch?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    The USDA attempted to rewrite the guidelines reducing the amount of potatoes served. The potato producing states objected and the revision was dropped.
    I never met a potato I didn't love! But to have lunches be 40 percent carbs is ridiculous. I'm on my daughter's kindle now, but when my laptop gets home, I will start in on milk!

1 members found this post helpful.

You are sure it's the poor kids and not the rich ones throwing the food away?
    I don't know what state you are in but here in VA the lottery does go for education but that simply means that the state reduces its budgetary contributions by the same amount. The schools don't get any extra money
    Yep, and it's the same here. People wanted the lottery because a big fuss was made of how wonderful it would be for improving our schools, and instead the shell game of the school and the general fund happened. Also didn't stop our taxes from doubling when they built a new high school, which, on the tax bill, is where the hike in payment happened. It's for the school district, so WTF? Meanwhile, the lottery jackpots keep getting bigger and bigger...which the state takes half of anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Definitely agree on the food stamp issue. Add to that convenience stores where the food is double or triple the price of a regular grocery store. If the funds are needed badly enough to issue food stamps/cards, they should be shopped with responsibly. Hell, most people I know who can afford it won't buy staples at those stores!

Definitely agree on the food stamp issue. Add to that convenience stores where the food is double or triple the price of a regular grocery store. If the funds are needed badly enough to issue food stamps/cards, they should be shopped with responsibly. Hell, most people I know who can afford it won't buy staples at those stores!
    Not everyone has access to grocery stores.
    http://dcentric.wamu.org/2011/05/map...rts/index.html
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

9 members found this post helpful.

Not everybody had transportation to the cheap stores.

Many parts of the US are food deserts: There are no real grocery stores for people without transportation to shop! here in town there was not a one grocery store for a long time after the two local chains closed down! We are talking miles! And this is not even a rural place! Or a big city....or even the poor city.

(but even these purchases at the corner store are beneficial ways to spend this money as they benefit the small business owner who runs the gas station. The profit margin in gas is small for those folks...)

4 members found this post helpful.

Nope, but there are more ways to cook a potato!
    it's starch, yes, but better than white bread.