The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage & Jumping clinician

Looking for ideas for a spring clinician. Someone with a dressage focus, but who also does a good job with jumping. Nobody is high level, but they are educated. Assorted quality horses. Not eventers, but some show dressage and some jumpers. Dressage riders are the more serious of the bunch.

Last year had Dale Irwin...really liked him, but would like to explore other options.

Canadian preferred, but someone near a major airport hub fine too (for cheaper airfare)
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Missy Ransehousen www.bluehillfarmpa.com
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Heather Gillette

Carol McArdle is in the Seattle area I think. I haven't been able to attend one of her clinics, but a friend of mine hosts a couple of clinics a year with Carol and they always fill up.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Sandy Alexander is from BC but regularly comes to Alberta, he is just fantastic. Does both dressage and over fences.

I have also ridden with Linda Delvallegarcia-Heywood, really enjoyed her as well. She is more h/j focused, but very capable with the flat work as well.
    Eventing It Up In The Great White North! A girl, a horse, and a helmet cam!!
    http://albertaeventer.blogspot.com/

Caroline Atherholt McClung (Dowd) 4* level rider-Rolex/Badminton/Fair Hill/Short Listed for Pan Ams...

Knows her stuff in dressage and show jumping (and XC too!) People and horses come away with TONS of confidence after their lessons.....

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Heather Gillette
    Totally threadjacking here but how is she to work with? I am looking for a new instructor come springtime for jumping/xc and she is right now at the top of my list.

PM CookiePony. I am pretty sure she has ridden with Heather and really enjoyed it
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

1 members found this post helpful.

She's fantastic. She expects you to get your shit together, but she's funny, great with all levels, very clear in her instruction and has a tried and true method of "do a+b and now... c." She teaches us twice a year in Nashville and is very invested in our success and doesn't just "teach a clinic." She does what we need to produce what we're struggling with and fix it.

Thank you for the ideas! These may be higher end clinicians than we need/can fit in the budget, but worth looking into.

Isn't Sandy Alexander a hunter coach? I sold him a horse a long time ago...I thought he was into hunters...

Both AlbertaEventer and I ride prelim and school with Sandy. I just think of it as quality flat work- for us he bases more on a dressage sense then those who ride hunters. He's very thorough and has certainly improved my ride immensely- and he's good on the psychology side of the ride as well which is my weak spot. He's in the area usually once a month or so if you were to look at "borrowing" him from other clinic hosters.