The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me shop at American Eagle...

Even though I'd rather not, given all the drama with their Orc-looking CEO and the fat people comment earlier this year. Both my mother and MIL gifted me gift cards to the store, for some reason, and I really do need new clothes...

I've never shopped there before. I prefer for my jeans to be more durable and less fashionable for barn wear. How do their sizes run? I'm assuming they lean towards being small. I'm typically a small/medium and a size 5/7 in jeans. Their sleep stuff looks comfy...

Help?!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I believe Abercrombie and Fitch is the store with the crappy CEO and fat comments. American Eagle isn't so bad in comparison!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

2 members found this post helpful.

My little bro works there so SO and I tend to get gift cards for both birthdays and Xmas

Everything seems to run true to size, jeans included. If you're into skinny jeans I HIGHLY recommend the jeggings, despite the ridiculous name. They have the perfect amount of stretch and go great with boots. I have a pair of black denim ones and just bought a pair of grey knit-type ones. They're comfortable as all get out - the knit ones straight up feel like pajamas but look like dressy pants. LOVE.

They were having a great sale on the day after Christmas, if it's still on all pants were on pretty good discount.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I believe Abercrombie and Fitch is the store with the crappy CEO and fat comments. American Eagle isn't so bad in comparison!
    Oh! Well I feel better now about shopping there. It all sounds the same to me... but my current events include SmartPak sales and how Reed Kessler is doing, so I'm not surprised I screwed that one up.

Thank you Redmond! I've never been a fan of skinny jeans, but I do have a pair of boots that I think would look cute with something thats not barn jeans.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Some of my favorite jeans and shirts have from from ae. I have a pair upstairs that must be 15 years old. That being said I have always found them to be very hit and miss on quality and fit. Love the store but I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't try on in person.

Aerie is owned by AE and I love their bras. So comfy! I think you can use AE giftcards there.

Quote Originally Posted by Manahmanah View Post
    Some of my favorite jeans and shirts have from from ae. I have a pair upstairs that must be 15 years old. That being said I have always found them to be very hit and miss on quality and fit. Love the store but I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't try on in person.
    That's what I'm waffling about. I think I'm going to just stick to tops and order a size up... I just can't fathom loading the two littles up and getting them to sit quietly while I try stuff on, which is why I'm doing most of my shopping online. That and I'd rather cry in the privacy of my own bedroom... I HATE trying stuff on.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I'm a size 4 in AE jeans and am usually a 28 in breeches, if that helps you out at all.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeauty View Post
    Arie is owned by AE and I love their bras. So comfy! I think you can use AE giftcards there.
    You can! They are having a semi-annual sale too!

I'm short and skinny, and AE jeans are about the only ones that I KNOW will fit me right off the rack! Different styles have different types of denim (stretchiness, durability, etc) and most styles are available in a higher waist so you're not showing off your underwear every time you bend over.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I really like their jeans - I used a gift card from christmas to buy 2 pairs of jeans for $40 using a coupon they had combined with a sale. One was the kick boot model, the other a boyfriend jean. I chose them specifically for the barn and wearing to work - I can bend over without showing the world what color underwear I've got on! They also do short and long sizes.

I find a lot of their tops are to fashion-y for me, but aerie (their sister) makes some good sports bras for riding. You can use the gift card there as well to buy PJs, sweats, etc.

AE and Aerie sweatpants are just about indestructible in my experience. I have pairs that have got to be about 5 years old and they still look great. I also highly recommend the jeans. I've only thrown them out because the knees end up faded/worn out, which is my fault. I wear a 28 or 30 in breeches and get a size 6 in their jeans.

Most of my bras are from Aerie and they hold up very nicely. Then again, I don't have much to "hold up" so they have a pretty easy job.

I like their jeans for everyday wear, but I wouldn't call them durable barn jeans. IME, fabric that is thin enough for fashionable fit isn't thick enough to stand up for years of hard work.

Their sweaters & sweatshirts are my favorite b/c I have a long torso and those fit perfectly. I also like Aerie products - they're not top of the line but they're fun & great quality for the price.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everybody!

I ended up with a few different tops, 2 sweatshirts, a pair of boots, and took advantage of the sale for some cute panties. Their clearance prices are awesome! I couldn't convince myself to buy jeans without trying them on first, I'm about as picky as they come.

Trying to convince DH to let me splurge on some sleep shirts as well!

As far as the title of your thread goes, I can help. Give me your money, and I will shop for you and buy you everything. That's the answer. Buy it all. Enjoy!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

1 members found this post helpful.