The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help, my dishwasher is disgusting...

My dishwasher had recently started getting nasty after it runs a full cycle. As in, I will wipe it clean, load it, run it, and when it's done, it's gross again. It looks sorry of like rusty particles or food or calcified stuff or... I'm really not sure what it is, just grainy grossness. I always rinse things well before I load them. What could be causing this? Or more importantly, how the heck can I make it stop? I'm getting really tired of my dishes coming out dirtier than they were when they went in. Is there some type of cleaner or vinegar or ANYTHING that's safe to run through a cycle?
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Check your diswasher's temp to make sure it is at least 140 degrees.

Check for rust on the racks and other metal parts that is coming off on your dishes.

Check the filter screen to make sure it isn't clogged. Same with the spray thingy that rotates around.

Try a different diswashing detergent that works better with your particular water. If you don't know if you water is hard of soft, you can test it with some strips available at a pool or pet store.

I've heard that with modern detergents/ machines that rinsing off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher actually reduces the ability of the machine to clean them- something about the food particles activating the cleansers? this may be nonsense, however.

You can get a dishwasher cleaner, but I wonder if there's actually something wrong with the dishwasher. I ran into that, the top rack water sprayer was blocked.

I gather this is a new thing?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Do you have hard water? Perhaps the little bits of calcification are from that?

I used one of those dishwasher cleaner agents on my old dishwasher and it was so disgusting, I went out and bought a new dishwasher. Who knew all that grossness was trapped in your dishwasher? My new dishwasher has a removeable filter basket that you can take out and rinse.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You can get a dishwasher cleaner, but I wonder if there's actually something wrong with the dishwasher. I ran into that, the top rack water sprayer was blocked.

I gather this is a new thing?
    Yes, we've been in this house since May, never had a problem until a month or so ago. I've tried cleaning it thoroughly a few times but it didn't really help. The sprayer at the top doesn't really look like I can easily check it or empty it if is clogged. The little arm sprayer that's hanging from under the top rack also looks like the water coming out is rusty or something, it's leaving stains. Sigh. Might be time to call someone out.

Run the dishwasher, empty, with only a packet of sugar-free lemonade powder. The citrus in it will help cut out the gunk. A dishwasher repair guy told me to do this (says it works the same as expensive cleaners you can buy for the same purpose) and it works!
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    Do you have hard water? Perhaps the little bits of calcification are from that?

I used one of those dishwasher cleaner agents on my old dishwasher and it was so disgusting, I went out and bought a new dishwasher. Who knew all that grossness was trapped in your dishwasher? My new dishwasher has a removeable filter basket that you can take out and rinse.

NJR
    Maybe that's worth a shot. I think that we do have hard water. ..I don't know for sure but vi know my town in general has pretty bad water.

The previous owners of my house ran candle sconces through the dishwasher which left soot and wax blobs on the sides of the dishwasher. We tried all kinds of things to get it off. What finally worked was temporarily turning the house water to 160 and we used Tang instead of detergent.

It does sound like there is an actual problem with your dishwasher. Our washer started to do that. DH discovered that there is a ball valve that spins so that it alternates between having the opening so the top spinner sprays and the bottom spinner sprays. It got stuck partially between the two settings so neither spinner was spinning well- hence nothing got cleaned. He popped out the ball valve, cleaned it and put it back in. If it get stuck again we will replace it as it is only a $6 part. But it has been working again for over a year.
    We got this SS dishwasher for free off of CL. The previous owner was told by a plumber he needed a new pump. We got it home and it worked fine for 9 months until the valve problem. We think that was the actual problem and the trip down the stairs, down the sidewalk and in the truck temporarily freed up the valve. We never replaced the pump.

If you or hubby are handy at all you can normally look up the parts diagram on line by model number and figure out where the ball valves are. It might be worth it to replace them if you can do the work yourself. The valves for our model are really cheap.

Sometime just googling the model and a brief description of the problem will reveal that other home owners are had the same problem and what the fix is. There are frequently even youtube videos that show how to fix the issue.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.