The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice on old Merhow zigzag butt bar attachment

I love my old Merhows. I recently traded up from a 1993 Verylight to a 1998 Equistar, both 2H straight loads. Anyway, LOVE the trailers for their airiness, they pull well, my horses travel well. But the butt bar attachment on the newer trailer makes me crazy! It's this zigzag channel that was probably a brilliant idea on the drawing board but not so much in practice. All my boys are good travelers and have been patient while I fumble with it, but a few months ago I had to trailer a nervous TB mare and it really struck home that it was not a good arrangement, as it jammed when I was trying to unload her.

So... anyone had to deal with this setup? Any advice? I'm thinking of replacing the entire butt bar, but it looks like I would have to have one manufactured.

TIA for any input!

I had a 1996 Merhow Turfman and now a 2013 Merhow Verylight. I am trying to remember which buttbar attachment you had. Mine had a hook attachment, you just slipped the hook over a series of metal loops. It was incredibly easy and no fumbling trying to fit stuff in holes or twist stuff around.

Here is the Merhow website, http://www.merhow.com/ I would call them and tell them you want to swap it out. They probably have some ideas on what you can do. I found them really easy to work with. They also have a list of dealers on there and if you can probably bring it to one of them and see if they can just change the ends on it instead of replacing the entire buttbar system.

They also did work with a local trailer repair place that I liked. So, that is an option if there is no dealers close to you.

Thanks for the response! My old Merhow had the same butt bar arrangement as your 1996 and I loved it, but the 1998 has a nipple end attachment that slides into a zigzag track. I actually had a very nice PM from a trailer dealer who suggested the receiving end might have been bent and was causing my jamming issues, so as soon as this crazy No. IL weather simmers down, I'll have DH pull it out and take a look.

Thanks again!

If it is not bent, a bit of grease in the track / nipple might help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    If it is not bent, a bit of grease in the track / nipple might help a lot.
    Yep, that was going to be Plan B. Plan C will be to saw off the nipple and retrofit the butt bar for a hook and receiver. I'm hoping for Plan A or B, though!

Thanks again for all your input!

A friend of mine had a trailer that had the zigzag attachments for the chest bars. She had a mischevious horse yearling that would grab the chest bar and zigzag it out. I remember getting out at each red light to put it back in place. It was quite the game.

Therefore if yours has it for the chest bars too you might want to retrofit those in case you ever get a horse that is a bit oral.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    A friend of mine had a trailer that had the zigzag attachments for the chest bars. She had a mischevious horse yearling that would grab the chest bar and zigzag it out. I remember getting out at each red light to put it back in place. It was quite the game.

Therefore if yours has it for the chest bars too you might want to retrofit those in case you ever get a horse that is a bit oral.
    Wow, luckily I have just the butt bars! I'm thinking one of my rascals might have figured the chest bar out, too!