The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Still jingling and hoping for good a outcome. I sure hope your horses know how lucky they are to live with you.
    Thanks, but I don't think they have a clue. I keep threatening them that I'm throwing them all out in a field with sharp objects and will let them fend for themselves if they don't cut out the vet bills.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

2 members found this post helpful.

I just read through this... and all I can say is God love you, Kiwayu!

I'm supposed to give my mare her botulism vaccine today and now I'm scared!

Quote Originally Posted by fatappy View Post
    I just read through this... and all I can say is God love you, Kiwayu!

I'm supposed to give my mare her botulism vaccine today and now I'm scared!
    Don't worry! From what I've been told, I had better chances of winning lotto.
    Kristen

1 members found this post helpful.

Default How is Kiwi's eye ? Jingles & AO continue ~

How is Kiwi's eye ?

Jingles & AO continue !

How is your 4th horse ? Name ?
    He must be jealous of all the attention the other three receive
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    How is Kiwi's eye ?

Jingles & AO continue !

How is your 4th horse ? Name ?
    He must be jealous of all the attention the other three receive
    4th horse is fine, damn QH's are so hardy compared to these ottb's! His name is Focus and he loves on just hay and never seems to have any issues, thank god!

Kiwi's eye is still bothering him. Waiting for the cytology results and then will go from there. Was told to just continue meds until we get the results. Vet thinks kiwi's herpes is all behind this, which is viral and has to run its course with the antiviral meds he's on. Once I get everything back, I'm going to ask the vet about performing the grid again like last year. That seemed to end all my problems!
    Kristen

Default How is EYEBALL ????

How is the eye ????

Extra treats for dear Focus ~

Eye is the same! Vet came today and we are switching meds. Unfortunately, this is all normal. Thanks for thinking of us.
    Kristen

My sister's mare had an ulcer in her eye that would not heal. It turned out she had developed a fungus in the eye on top of a bacterial infection. They had to place a tube in her eye and keep her on heavy antifungals for quite a while. Has your vet checked for fungus in the eye? Just a suggestion that maybe you have already considered. Best of luck!
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Kiwayu- Sending you jingles and prayers that Kiwi's eye issues heal up, and the vet bills stop.
    You deserve the owner of the year award for what you have done for your horses. They are so lucky to have such a persistent/caring owner.

I`ve been following this thread and I must say, I have to congratulate you on your dedication......I am sure that love and dedication was the main medicine/ ingredient that saved your horse. I think they get an immune boost for knowing that someone cares so much.

I have had a little experience with herpes, not in horses but with a cat and a husband. When my husband went to the doctor because he had a serious herpes infection in his eye, the doctor told him that Lysine is great as a preventative for herpes flare-ups. Lysine is an amino acid that is anti-viral. It is simple to buy, inexpensive. I don`t know what the dose would be for a horse but I am sure that would be easy to find out.

The eye doctor said that his father was a pharmacist with an interest in natural healing and found out from feedback from his custormers that Lysine worked better than any anti-viral for herpes that he could fill a prescription for.

Don`t take my word for it, do some research, ask your vet or vets. Google lysine and its effect on the herpes virus. It may help your horse now with this episode and prevent further flare ups if it is an ingredient in his diet in adequate amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by re-runs View Post
    I`ve been following this thread and I must say, I have to congratulate you on your dedication......I am sure that love and dedication was the main medicine/ ingredient that saved your horse. I think they get an immune boost for knowing that someone cares so much.

I have had a little experience with herpes, not in horses but with a cat and a husband. When my husband went to the doctor because he had a serious herpes infection in his eye, the doctor told him that Lysine is great as a preventative for herpes flare-ups. Lysine is an amino acid that is anti-viral. It is simple to buy, inexpensive. I don`t know what the dose would be for a horse but I am sure that would be easy to find out.

The eye doctor said that his father was a pharmacist with an interest in natural healing and found out from feedback from his custormers that Lysine worked better than any anti-viral for herpes that he could fill a prescription for.

Don`t take my word for it, do some research, ask your vet or vets. Google lysine and its effect on the herpes virus. It may help your horse now with this episode and prevent further flare ups if it is an ingredient in his diet in adequate amounts.
    Thanks. Ophthalmologist put kiwayu on losing 12 years ago when this first started. Personally, I think it has done nothing!

Cytology was done and he does not have a fungus. Vet thinks that it's his age, stress and winter conditions which is why they aren't healing. We go through this yearly. The only thing that worked last year was a "grid" cut into his eye ball.
    Kristen

Still jingling.

Default More Jingles & AO for dear KIWI !

Weekend Jingles & AO for dear KIWI ~

Extra treats for Focus ... he never gets vet's attention = lucky guy !

kiwayu, you are an amazing and dedicated person ... as is your wonderful vet. Agree with so many others that Fresa came through the clostridium infection in large part because of your caring and tireless efforts.

Kiwi will, too, though I can only imagine having such an irritated eye(s) every winter. Poor horse == and poor you.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Default How about an update on all four ~!~ Fresa, Kiwi, Focus, and Fig

How about an update on all four of your horses

Hope all are staying out of trouble and continuing to heal ~

Fig's fungus around his eyes isn't any better. Vet wants me to finish meds before we conclude he needs something different.

Fresa great but being 4 and sitting around due to a bad winter, is just getting into trouble!

Kiwi's eye is the same. Waiting for new meds to arrive but the ulcers are definitely still there. Not surprised...

Focus is fine.
    Kristen

Default Jingles for KIWI & FIG ```` TGF Fresa and Focus !

Jingles continue for Kiwi & Fig ~

TGF Fresa and Focus !