The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Well, my boy still has a temp of 102. Vet came again for more laser, IV banamine, IV antibiotics and will come again tomorrow. Vet claims these things can take awhile. Ugh! He loos so miserable.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

I am so sorry sounds very stressful hope he bounced back soon.

So the company that made the B1 is the one "checking for contamination"? That seems like a conflict of interest. I would want an outside party to do that, right?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    So the company that made the B1 is the one "checking for contamination"? That seems like a conflict of interest. I would want an outside party to do that, right?
    We are doing an outside party as well.
    Kristen

1 members found this post helpful.

Good

Poor guy. Get well soon.

Ugh, still had a 101 fever this morning. He got his IV banamine at 9:30am and has a 100.8 now at 3pm, which probably means he will have a temp tonight again. He's getting another laser treatment tomorrow and I'm hoping this doesn't abscess so it wont have to be drained. This has to end soon because he looks so miserable.
    Kristen

I get B-12 injections from my doctor's office. The nurse was complaining because she had to use a single dose vial since that was all their supplier could get for them recently. The supplier did not have the multiple dose bottle.
    I was prescribed the B12 to self inject at home and my CVS has had the multi-dose vial back-ordered for at least 2 months.

I wonder if there is a correlation? Is there production or sterility issues so a lack of availability? Getting the B12 recalled from the livestock/pet market might not be high on their list of things the should do. Obviously I am pretty wildly speculating.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Jingles for your horse!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Default Jingles & Ao he turns the 'feeling better' corner soon ~

Jingles & AO he turns that 'feeling better' corner soon ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

You can peek at ASHP's drug shortage list. It's the most comprehensive list you can find. Vitamin B12 injection (cyanocobalamine) is listed with the following information: http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/Cu...in.aspx?id=947

"American Regent had temporarily suspended manufacture of most drug products including cyanocobalamin injection in April, 2011.
    American Regent resumed manufacturing in Shirley, New York in early-May, 2011.
    Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP) has cyanocobalamin injection on shortage due to increased demand for the product. "

The drug companies are not required to state a reason for the shortages but sometimes they will say "due to contamination." In this case it seems to be just supply and demand but who knows if that is the truth or just what the manufacturer is putting forward to ASHP as the reason.

If you go back and look at the overall shortage list you can see it is hundreds of drugs long. This has been a growing problem since about 2008ish.

Any update? Poor pony. It sounds like you are doing as much as you can and caught things extremely early.

Default Jingles continue ~ AO

Jingles & AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Monday Morning update:

Knew Fresa was bad soon as I looked out the window. Standing in the paddock with his head down to the ground and didn't move a muscle when I walked into the barn. He's the first to whinny and run in excitement. Temp is 102 again. Vet coming in the next hour to ultrasound his neck and if pockets are found, will drain them. I'm actually hoping for us to find something on ultrasound. Of course, he will be getting more IV banamine, IV antibiotics and another laser treatment. Thank god I don't go back to work until Thursday. I will update after the vet leaves.
    Kristen

Poor guy. I hope he gets well soon!

Holy cow. Didn't see this until now. What a nightmare. Hope he is better soon. And hope 2014 brings better luck with the horses (for us both!!!!!!!!)
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Oh dear. I'm so sorry. Waiting for an update.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Do you know what antibiotics he is on? I agree with it being suspicious of a pocket/deep abscess. It is hard for even IV antibiotics to penetrate deep into a pocket because they do not get good blood supply and it can become an anaerobic environment. So not 100% but always high suspicion if there is not response to proper antibiotics in ~72 hours because if the infection is just skin - his fever should have dropped by now. Good luck Glad your vet is being attentive and aggressive with treatment.

Vet came and did an ultrasound. Almost the whole neck was an abscess. She cut a huge hole in his neck and drained it. It's about 3-4" deep and HUGE! He's still on IV antibiotics, banamine and we pulled a culture on the puss. I hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Kristen

Wow. Unbelievable. KUP OP. Hope he turns the corner now that it's been lanced.