The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Christmas Vet Emergency - Open Coffin Bone Fracture- Booked to be bred for 2014!!!

I hadn't been in this club in quite awhile and really wasn't looking to renew my membership.

The girls were running around a bit at dusk-- nothing too crazy, just frisky in the cold weather. I was in the pasture doing chores only half paying attention to them. Then I look up to see my one mare dangling her hind leg in the air, three legged-lame.

I went up to her to find a huge bleeding crack in her sole and a very, very painful horse. I'm not sure if she stepped on something or just stepped wrong or what.

Vet wants to wait until Thursday to do x-rays if we can, although we'll do them tomorrow if need be. She is really painful tonight and completely off her hay and feed.

Not so Merry Christmas here.
    Last edited by Texarkana; Apr. 20, 2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

So sorry you're in this situation. Jingles that she is doing better tomorrow.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Very sorry.... I hope she is feeling better very soon

Sorry to hear about your horse's injury. I hope she heals up fast.

Thanks everyone. She's still non-weight bearing today.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I can find very little information online about sole cracks, which is frustrating. This is not something I've ever had to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with these? I still have an appointment tomorrow for xrays to see if her coffin bone was affected, but it's kind of driving me nuts not to be able to find much information on this.

Here's a pic of it today while changing the bandage:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...ps046f1b6d.jpg

Sorry it's not the best, it's hard to keep the foot clean and juggle my phone! The crack extends from her bar to her toe, kind of parallel to the frog. It's still a bit oozy today, but not bleeding nearly as much as last night. She's still not bearing weight. Vet has her on 2 grams of bute and TMS for the time being.

Yeah, I'd be afraid she has fractured her coffin bone. Guess the "good news" is that I had a mare fracture her coffin bone and she did recover completely. But, hers was a non-displaced wing fracture with no external evidence of the fracture. Definitely go tomorrow for x-rays. Not much else you can do until then.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Jingling for your girl and hoping for the best outcome.

Saw this, which may or may not be of any help, as you don't have an x-ray yet:

http://www.equipodiatry.com/footwund.htm
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Oh, ouch! Jingles for the both of you!

Jingles for you.... I've never delt with that.. keep us posted.. hope she starts feeling better.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

Good luck and keep us posted. I imagine you have her in a deeply bedded stall so she can lie down if she wants to.(that is one thing I would be doing anyway)
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Jingles... poor girl, my foot hurt just looking at the photo.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Ugh, looks like she stepped on her toe and bent the hoof, poor girl, if that can be done. I too would worry about a coffin bone fracture. Good luck, let us know how the images come out.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I spent most of the day at the vet clinic with my mare. It's confirmed - the coffin bone is fractured as well.

It's frustrating, and the fact that it is an open fracture doesn't help the situation. My vet spoke with several excellent surgeons and none had seen anything similar. Leave it to my horses...

I'm so sorry about your mare! I'm sorry I don't have much to offer, but the one thing that came to mind is... would it be possible to cast the foot and rest her? I have a retiree in my care who, for no reason at all, shattered his coffin bone. Was in work, sound, and then one day not. He totally obliterated it. With rest, he's now very happily sound (though not sound enough for riding anymore). I would wonder if stabilizing the foot, with the cast, would give the hoof time to heal and the coffin bone as well? Assuming you can keep it from getting infected...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Jingles & AO ~ ((hugs))

Jingles & AO ~ for your mare ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

what is your next step here ? treatment plan ?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    I'm so sorry about your mare! I'm sorry I don't have much to offer, but the one thing that came to mind is... would it be possible to cast the foot and rest her? I have a retiree in my care who, for no reason at all, shattered his coffin bone. Was in work, sound, and then one day not. He totally obliterated it. With rest, he's now very happily sound (though not sound enough for riding anymore). I would wonder if stabilizing the foot, with the cast, would give the hoof time to heal and the coffin bone as well? Assuming you can keep it from getting infected...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the input. I'm really sorry to hear about your horse!

We (the vet, the farrier, myself, and couple other vets via phone) DID talk about casting it. The overall consensus was no one wanted to leave a cast on with the open crack for fear of infection.

After much debate on what would be the best course of action, they ended up just applying a standard bar shoe to stabilize it. That way there's easy access to the crack and I can regularly change the dressing.

what is your next step here ? treatment plan ?
    Stall rest... antibiotics... keep the foot obsessively clean... re-assess the shoe/healing in about 6 weeks if there aren't complications before then. The vet is optimistic, probably more optimistic than I am...

2 members found this post helpful.

Ugh, jingles for you and your mare.

We had one of these in the barn about 10 years ago - although the open wound was smaller - not a crack. Horse was on stall rest for 8 weeks in a bar shoe with a hospital plate that could be unscrewed and removed to change packing. They also forged extra large clips onto the shoe at the toe and quarters to stabilize it even more. Horse healed well, and went back to being a 2'6" hunter. Jingles!

6 members found this post helpful.