The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My niece did not write this, but when I found the piece quite accidentally, I knew it would mean much to her, especially in light of recent stories in the news. She has struggled with acceptance but has thankfully found great support among her family and close friends.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpvIMVdq3k
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm a non-Christian, and I approve this message

Seriously, wonderfully written and written with such tolerance.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I'm a non-Christian, and I approve this message

Seriously, wonderfully written and written with such tolerance.
    Me, too. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm christian and agree with this message. Many people seem to forget that the bible is against ALL sin and only Jesus's love overcomes our fallen (sinful) state. I choose to live in that love and therefore love the rest of fallen man too.

7 members found this post helpful.

That was great, thank you for posting it It should be posted everywhere.

Didn't the current Pope answer, when someone asked him "What do you think of homosexuality", "Who am I to judge them? "(or some such answer)?
    That is one papal statement that I can agree with
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

9 members found this post helpful.

Great post!!

"So whatever you believe about homosexuality, keep it to yourself. Instead, try telling a gay kid that you love him and you don’t want him to die. Try inviting her into your church and into your home and into your life. Anything other than that simply doesn’t matter."

Um, no I won't. Everyone gets to have an opinion. Everyone gets to have an opinion they are able to discuss. Being homosexual is not something special or of a protected group. In Muslim countries you cannot say anything about Allah or Mohammed without fear of being killed/severely attacked. We find this a disgusting behaviour and the gross intolerance of this 'religion of peace". Homosexuals aren't inviolate and their behaviour isn't illegal to disagree with.

The various homosexual groups (GLAAD, Queer Nation etc.) attack churches who dare to have opinions they don't like (but they don't attack Islam where hanging/stoning/murdering is their reaction to homosexuality) or don't worry about Alex Baldwin's rants about them...Pathetic hypocrisy.

We can have an opinion that doesn't see homosexual acts and some of their demands as a good thing. It's legal, they're not the only ones who can have an opinion.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Lovely essay. It really focuses on what's important.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    "So whatever you believe about homosexuality, keep it to yourself. Instead, try telling a gay kid that you love him and you don’t want him to die. Try inviting her into your church and into your home and into your life. Anything other than that simply doesn’t matter."

Um, no I won't. Everyone gets to have an opinion. Everyone gets to have an opinion they are able to discuss. Being homosexual is not something special or of a protected group. In Muslim countries you cannot say anything about Allah or Mohammed without fear of being killed/severely attacked. We find this a disgusting behaviour and the gross intolerance of this 'religion of peace". Homosexuals aren't inviolate and their behaviour isn't illegal to disagree with.

The various homosexual groups (GLAAD, Queer Nation etc.) attack churches who dare to have opinions they don't like (but they don't attack Islam where hanging/stoning/murdering is their reaction to homosexuality) or don't worry about Alex Baldwin's rants about them...Pathetic hypocrisy.

We can have an opinion that doesn't see homosexual acts and some of their demands as a good thing. It's legal, they're not the only ones who can have an opinion.
    I think you may be missing what the OP is about?

I don't think it is about, like you do there, debating homosexuality and what some do or don't, but about understanding that just for being homosexual they should not be treated and persecuted as third class citizens, to the point of suicide.

22 members found this post helpful.

What YOU believe DOES NOT MATTER? what kind of message is that?

I like the message but the delivery lacks tact and could say things with out aliening those who disagree.

Both sides need an over-haul IMHO.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    What YOU believe DOES NOT MATTER? what kind of message is that?

I like the message but the delivery lacks tact and could say things with out aliening those who disagree.

Both sides need an over-haul IMHO.
    Maybe if we put it like this the OP would be easier to understand:

No matter what anyone thinks, homosexuals are just as human as the rest of us, not some kind of caricature of an inferior human.

21 members found this post helpful.

What is your point?
    the straight population has the right to opinionate about the gay one?

I see your point. But your logic is flawed.
    When gay folks point out the irreconcilable discrepancy between the 'Message of Love' and the hateful action of some 'believers' it's a negative thing.
    When straight people keep gays from receiving the same rights as straights it's ok?

Society has always been good at beating on the vulnerable.

But before being gay or anything else, they are people.
    being gay isn't but a small part of them. Just as being straight isn't but one of hundreds of things about me.

Why should what I do with DH in private carry more weight than what a gay person does with his/her partner?

No, I don't think I should be forced to include everybody in my life.
    But I should if the 'Message of Love' is written on my banner.
    As it is, I don't want to associate with churches like that, who rather missionize on the other side of the globe than to hand their neighbor a helping hand, offer a comforting shoulder. And I sleep easy at night, knowing that I won't end up in their heaven.

Point for thought:
    Who would ever think in his right mind that any kid will get up one morning and decide to go down a path of heartache and desperation, hurt and disappointment?! Yeah, I go gay tomorrow, to become a suicidal drug addict....what a bunch of road apples!

BTW Teh Gay isn't catching, or nobody would be straight anymore. You probably rubbed elbows with way more non-straight people than you ever want to know.

The gay people I know have been fine people. I know some straight folks who are real scum bags....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Maybe if we put it like this the OP would be easier to understand:

No matter what anyone thinks, homosexuals are just as human as the rest of us, not some kind of caricature of an inferior human.
    yes, but my point was the tone of the article is very off-putting.

Who is calling them inferior? to me all this assuming and pushing is the issue, not the actual opinions of each side. People just stop listening to the opposing view, that is my issue. Hate on BOTH sides. Not good.

That whooshing sound you hear is the entire point of the essay going right over your head...

40 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    yes, but my point was the tone of the article is very off-putting.

Who is calling them inferior? to me all this assuming and pushing is the issue, not the actual opinions of each side. People just stop listening to the opposing view, that is my issue. Hate on BOTH sides. Not good.
    I think you are missing there is just one side here doing the "hating".
    Not good.

8 members found this post helpful.

I'm a Christian, and I approve this message, as do many of my Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Methodist and UCC friends.

GLAAD and others absolutely do fight in other countries for equality. You just may not see that on Fox, CNN etc.

11 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Being homosexual is not a free pass to do whatever you want without consequences or criticism, nor are people required or obligated to like or love you because you identify as such and that is what Trak is trying to say.... in his own special way....covered in hot sauce.
    SPACE FOR RENT

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Being homosexual is not a free pass to do whatever you want without consequences or criticism, nor are people required or obligated to like or love you because you identify as such and that is what Trak is trying to say.... in his own special way....covered in hot sauce.
    What does that has to do with this?

No one is saying give a pass to someone breaking laws because they are any one race or size or sexual preference?

I thought what the OP was is about giving homosexuals a bit more credit for being the humans they are, not just "that gay", as so many are degraded, to the point of suicide.

Real life example, my daughter's best friend.

He came out in college. In Kentucky. It didn't go well. His parents had previously sent him to pray the gay away camp when he was 15 and he pretended to be straight...up to and including a girlfriend.

He got to college and he couldn't pretend anymore. Those wonderful friends of his, the religious ones? They posted hateful bible verses on his facebook page until he finally blocked them. The ex girl friend spat on him in the hall. Yes, she did, she spit on him. His family disowned him.

Thankfully he had a few really good friends who stood by him. He's just been accepted to medical school and he will be an outstanding doctor.

He could have been a statistic.

This is what the author of the blog is talking about.

I have a few words for you homophobes, but since I don't want to be banned, I'll keep them to myself. Personally I think you're disgusting excuses for human beings.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

39 members found this post helpful.

So sorry to hear of his treatment, Laura. That's horrible.

5 members found this post helpful.