The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have you or anyone you have known ever been in a life or death situation?

Yes, I have been watching, "I Shouldn't Be Alive". Thought it might be a good topic and maybe some interesting stories. Cool show and amazing how far people will go to survive when faced with a rotten situation.

My dad has had his last rights read to him more than once. He is still living well though! He crashed into a train and has had several other crazy car accidents as well as barely surviving leukemia before I was born. He also once cut open his leg with a chain saw and had a very serious MRSA infection and was in the hospital for some time. Something is always happening to him!

This probably wasn't really life or death, but it felt like it at the time. I was riding a very young, green, and large horse. The horse reared- Lone Ranger, straight up into the air, style. All I could think was "I'm going to die or be paralyzed. Only options." Luckily, the horse had enough sense to not flip over. Cried for the rest of the ride, but finished. I rode the horse for another week, cried every single time, and then told my trainer that I couldn't- or wouldn't ride the horse. I've been on the horse once since then, and the ride went well, but I'm not volunteering.
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

I have yes.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

My SO was blown up in Afghanistan...twice! He was dead for 8 minutes the second time. He said he woke up 3 days later in a hospital in Germany with no memory of the incident. His only lingering issues are a back scarred from shrapnel and an arthritic hip!

I've never been that close to death but I walked away from a very serious rollover wreck involving my truck and trailer with 2 horses and my dog. We all walked away with nothing more than cuts and bruises.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Not really close to death, I don't think. I could have died, I guess, but I didn't. Had a very bad fall when my mare flipped over and landed on me. I was out for about five minutes, so they say. I think back and realize that had I died, I never would have known it. I hope when my end does come, I go doing something I love. One minute there, next thing, gone.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

4 members found this post helpful.

A good friend of ours was out west on a hunting trip. The guide dropped him off at the stand with a 4 wheeler and said I'll be back at dark. Our friend killed an elk. Then a blizzard came in. The guide didn't return. Due to the wind and snow our friend couldn't start a fire or find shelter. So he gutted the elk and climbed into the cavity for the night. He spent the night and part of the next day inside the elk. The guide came to get him around mid-day and stated that he was expecting to find him frozen to death. During that time he made a "pact" with God that if he got out of that situation he would never hunt again. That was 25-30 years ago. He has never gone hunting again.

11 members found this post helpful.

We have a large, high bridge over a local bay. Years and years ago, one of my neighbors got in an accident on that bridge and ended up with her car hanging halfway over the edge. It was precarious, but they did manage to get first her, and then her car, back from the brink successfully. She was a tough woman. I think I would have palpitations every time I went over that bridge after that, but she made the drive regularly.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

When I was a little kid - less than five - I tried to swallow a nickle. It didn't go down and somehow blocked my airway. I can still see my mom picking me up by my ankles and shaking that coin out. It's like I was watching from the end of the hallway and she/I were at the other. I still find it a bit freaky.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Many years ago I choked on a piece of meat at a friend's house. Frirend's husband was an EMT and a really, really big man. When repeated attempts at the heimlich didn't work, he toldl one of the kids to dial 911 and started slamming my midsection repeatedly across the top of a wingback chair. At the same time I had my hand all the way down my throat frantically trying to get the meat out. Luckily this combination worked, I was really, really panicked.

Another time I found out I am allergic to Sulfa antibiotics the hard way. Luckily I was at work and we were a couple of blocks away from the hospital. First my hearing went, then my eyesight went. Swelled up like a balloon and turned bright red. I had 6 paramedics working on me and they said if it had been 5 minutes more I would have been dead. (Unfortunately for me, that was the only day of my life I didn't wear a bra to work. All 6 of them got a good look.)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I've had many near misses over the years, most at the hands of my ex-husband and his peculiar combination of carelessness and evil practical jokes.
    but the most recent was early October when getting a dose of chemotherapy and I had an allergic reaction to an ingredient in it.
    I wasn't scared at the time but dh thought for sure I was a goner. he says all he could think of was how to tell my daughter and he decided then and there to call her husband and let him tell her.
    typical!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, my daughter. We didn't know that she would make it for over two weeks.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

In the sense of having to make quick decisions to save myself, only once that I can remember. Was out visiting my horse in the field at dusk, when another horse came up on me and basically attacked me. Reared, tried to grab my shoulder in his mouth and repeatedly tried to knock me down with his front legs/knees. It was absolutely terrifying. I was lucky there was another horse nearby - I crawled under his belly (thank you, bob!). Psycho horse kept circling and trying to come after me but managed to keep horse 2 mostly between him and me, and kept pushing him over till I could make a break for the fence. Had to crawl through the fence and trailblaze a bit through the bushes/stream on the other side, but walked away. I'm not sure that's anything like being trapped in an avalanche or in a car wreck vs. a tractor trailer or being kidnapped by terrorists or anything, but it's something that could have gone very, very badly had that other horse not been there.

(psycho horse also repeatedly chased people, attacked the BO in his stall, etc. He left.)

The first time I had a pulmonary embolism was pretty terrifying too - I assume that's what it was anyway, like a complete idiot I didn't go to the hospital because I'd lived through it. I woke up in the middle of the night with the most intense chest pain I could ever imagine. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move. I couldn't have grabbed the phone and called for help. I couldn't have yelled for my roomate. I was completely immobilized with pain, and all I could think was that either this was it, or I'd live. Had more a few moments of wishing I'd updated my life insurance policy at work. Obviously I lived through it. I ended up writing it off as some kind of anxiety/panic attack due to major life changes I'd been going through - dumb dumb dumb dumb.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

January 14th, 2009 - I was in Israel when Lebanon fired missiles over the border a few miles away, and spent some QT in a bomb shelter. No one was harmed, thank goodness, but it was certainly an eye opening experience.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

DH has, several times. He was a commercial fisherman and sea urchin diver. He used to come home and tell me ALL about it and I think I developed a numbness to it. He finally got out of that line of work when my DD had a nightmare about a shark eating him. Didn't help that someone we knew had died of blood loss after a shark took his leg off.

If I've ever been in that situation I just blocked it out. If the car didn't fall off the edge, it doesn't count to me mentally.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I was 6-years-old at Martha's Vinyard playing in the ocean. A wave knocked me over, and then another one swept me out toward the sea. I was caught in a riptide and didn't know what to do. Luckily, a man had seen me get knocked over and came and saved me somehow. All I remember is looking up through the water and panicking as I was being sucked and then the next thing I remember is laying on the beach.

I was held hostage at gun point for 2 days, I did quite a bit of talking, stayed alert, saw my chance, took it and ran. I was expecting to be shot in the back.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow-horse View Post
    I was held hostage at gun point for 2 days, I did quite a bit of talking, stayed alert, saw my chance, took it and ran. I was expecting to be shot in the back.
    Wow. That's horrifying. Can we hear more of the story?

Quote Originally Posted by yellow-horse View Post
    THAT I doubt I'd block. Good for you for making the decision, good that you made it out.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

It was an ex husband who broke into my home and held a gun on me for 2 days in the odd attempt to win me back, I had anticipated him doing something whacky but not quite that dramatic. It was just by luck my daughter was staying at a cousins house that weekend, he kept asking me where she was and I knew as time went on she would be coming home. If I could have figured out a way to kill him, I would have.
    After I escaped, I called the police and the swat team had shown up to my home, he had taken all the drapes down so he could see out the windows and was armed, waiting for the police, a very savvy female officer talked him out of the house.

7 members found this post helpful.