The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

For those who *are* on FB... the group is called, "Show Your Colors," and it's open to all! Happy posting/buying/selling/trading!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

After the holidays I'll figure out this whole facebook business
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    After the holidays I'll figure out this whole facebook business
    Excellent!
    -PaulaEdwina

Lucassb, I just joined your group and can help moderate if it gets big. Although... you've never accepted my friend request.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Lucassb, I just joined your group and can help moderate if it gets big. Although... you've never accepted my friend request.
    Great! The more the merrier!! And I am sorry about the friend request, I am very bad about those but I will go look for yours right now!
    -PaulaEdwina

Totally joining! I can't believe something like this hasn't been created yet!

Can you post a link, I can't find it

Default Trunks and repaneling

It is expensive and not really that cost effective (unless someone gives you the trunk) to repanel it unless you are only doing the front panel.

If you do all three sides, need to paint the back and the bumpers and also have to replace the top (it was a vinyl top versus a stainless one), you might as well just buy a new trunk.

I've found that the only place to sell trunks and make any money is really within the barn. The chances that someone in the area (so that they could pick up the trunk versus you shipping it off) has the same colors, border trims and bumper colors is slim to none.

At the barns in my area, the trainers keep tabs on those who have left their barn and usually call them if they get a new client interested in purchasing a used trunk.

This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It just depends on how a person left the barn. Sometimes it was amicable and sometimes it wasn't.

I would think that you'd have a much better shot at selling used coolers, scrims, blankets etc in "old" barn colors than trunks. Much easier to ship.

1 members found this post helpful.

The only "show your colors"FB page I can find is about flying American Flags in front of your house. Great idea for custom trunk/blanket source, so I can't wait to see it up/running. Link?
    thanks!
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Here you go! "Show Your Colors"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/437184866383715/
    Lucassb posted the link on the first page. See above.

Groovy, Lucassb.

I will *not* succumb to the dime bag that is this FB page.

Anyway, here's the rant:

Trainers, y'all need to start renting trunks to your clients. Makes so much more sense. Almost everyone I know who sells a trunk within the barn ends up losing their shirt and having that little transaction leaving a bad taste in their mouth. Ergo, the smart money wouldn't want to buy the trunk in the first place.

Update the business model, folks.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Groovy, Lucassb.

Anyway, here's the rant:

Trainers, y'all need to start renting trunks to your clients. Makes so much more sense. Almost everyone I know who sells a trunk within the barn ends up losing their shirt and having that little transaction leaving a bad taste in their mouth. Ergo, the smart money wouldn't want to buy the trunk in the first place.

Or switch to wooden trunks... much classier looking (IMHO, says she who has a Stanley trunk!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Or switch to wooden trunks... much classier looking (IMHO, says she who has a Stanley trunk!).
    Thats what I'm going with the next time around. A classy wooden trunk with a nameplate. They can double as beautiful furniture too!

Quote Originally Posted by Libby416 View Post
    Thats what I'm going with the next time around. A classy wooden trunk with a nameplate. They can double as beautiful furniture too!
    Truth. I'm trying to make my Stanley double as furniture in the apartment while the pony is leased out. It's not what I'd call "beautiful" though.

Because I have TTH Disease (Tack Trunk Hoarder) I don't care whose colors and initials are on the used trunks I collect. I love them all, and stalk the local used tack shop and Craigs List for trunks...but it has to be a deal. I scored a huge Beval wooden trunk this way, and a couple of vinyl ones, as well.
    Ebay lets me live vicariously....currently there is a lime green and yellow Phoenix West trunk for sale on Ebay, in the Chicago area. Far, far away from me.
    But for those in the Chicago area, the price keeps dropping on this trunk. It has a tray and a grooming box, and looks to be in great condition.
    You can get a cover made in "your" colors, with a zipper top, and no one would be the wiser as to the colors/initials on the trunk itself. This is a really great way to get a super quality trunk, at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Groovy, Lucassb.

Anyway, here's the rant:

Ah, but you will, my friend... you will. You love the fun custom stuff too much not to.

I've always loved having a pretty show trunk in the barn colors. Yes, it's a rather expensive indulgence (particularly when one has a trunk or two sitting in the garage, in the "wrong" colors...)

A beautiful wooden trunk solves a lot of the color problem, of course. With a (much less expensive, and very practical) trunk cover in whatever the barn colors might be at any point in time. I really liked my Oakcroft wood trunk with the pretty brass trim, but I looooooove my McGuinn even more, although it's vinyl. The fit and finish on it are simply beautiful.

But hey, I am sure we all have coolers, scrims, and other "colored" stuff we no longer need... get over to the Show Your Colors! page and post 'em!

Link for those who need it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/437184866383715/
    -PaulaEdwina

City of delusion in the state of total denial

We were just having this conversation in the barn aisle today- why a wood tack trunk is a good investment. Two reasons, as far as I'm concerned. One is that a trunk cover is cheaper than a new trunk and the other is that when you are 13 and you want your woodworking father to make you one, you can say that when you are older and have your first house, a good wooden tack trunk is a piece of storage furniture. The equestrian equivalent of a hope chest! The woodworking father to whom I was speaking called me an enabler and his wife was roaring with laughter, but this actually did work on my grandmother, who gave me a trunk for the holidays one year and made sure I was keeping it clean enough that one day it could go into the house.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG