The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DH and I bought a new mattress in January 2012. I had no idea mattresses were the new used cars. Everywhere we went, we enountered hard-selling floor reps, quick to try to negotiate us into a purchase.

We ended up buying from Mattress Firm but from their final sale stock. Mattresses that have been returned or rejected for any reason can't be resold above a certain price. We got a brand new mattress, floor priced around $5k, for $1k.
    Jer 29: 11-13

1 members found this post helpful.

A few years ago when we were looking for a new mattress set we had somebody recommend getting a plush top and then buy a separate foam topper. You can then replace the foam topper every couple of years if necessary and not incur the big expense of a new mattress.
    It extends the life of the mattress. Body heat tends to kill the foam. This way you kill the topper not the mattress.

If you decide you really don't like having such a soft mattress you aren't stuck, just take off the topper and now you are back to a plush top.

With pets and kids there is a greater chance of an accident that might kill a mattress. (Chewing, peeing, spilling drinks). The topper can sometimes take the brunt of things.

Plus you can then cut up the dead topper and replace the foam in your pet beds. If you are really handy you can sew your own covers for the pieces and make new custom dog/cat beds.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

I sleep on an air mattress with a built-in air pump- $100. You can adjust the firmness to your liking just by playing with the air pump, and with a cheap foam cover on it it's fabulously comfortable. Plus totally non-allergenic, easily cleaned, and very easy to move about if you feel the need to redecorate. I don't really get the need to buy $$$ mattresses.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I sleep on an air mattress with a built-in air pump- $100. You can adjust the firmness to your liking just by playing with the air pump, and with a cheap foam cover on it it's fabulously comfortable. Plus totally non-allergenic, easily cleaned, and very easy to move about if you feel the need to redecorate. I don't really get the need to buy $$$ mattresses.
    How do they stand up to pets? I'm about ready to go this route.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

well, it's covered with the topper, sheets, plus a couple of quilts, and so far it's lasted three years even with dogs (including one who does the scratch scratch thing before lying down) using it frequently. No cats, so who knows about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    well, it's covered with the topper, sheets, plus a couple of quilts, and so far it's lasted three years even with dogs (including one who does the scratch scratch thing before lying down) using it frequently. No cats, so who knows about that.
    I'm going to give it a try. Thanks! Do you have the mattress on a platform or on a foundation?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    That is awesome to hear: we are looking at one from Overstock! Could you mention the brand?

As far as foam mattresses being heat sinks; the newer ones have a gel mixed in that people say makes amazing difference in not heat trapping like the older ones.
    This is the one we got her- but in the Full size.
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...ml?searchidx=4

It took about 5 days for it to fully plump up from the vacuum pack and to not smell funny. We've had it for just over a year and I always am amazed how comfortable it is when reading books in it.

It is a little more- but we wanted one specifically with less chemicals.

Also- Waterproof mattress covers are a great way to project your investment. We now have them on all of our beds!

I bought a Beautyrest Simmons Jillian-and it's the best money I ever spent. I had another brand, it wasn't cheap, and it was awful after three years and a few months use. You spend up to 8 hours per day in it, so it needs to be something that makes your rest peaceful.

I agree about the mattress covers, I use the fitted vinyl ones, and they keep dust mites at bay, protect from dropped lemonade, and keep the mattress clean.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

A lot of the cost is marketing!!

Bob's Discount Furniture has a generic version of something or other that sounds quite nice.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

ALWAYS negotiate. Mine was around $2000. I got them down to $700.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

When it's an independent store, you can get a great deal. Make sure the company that delivers also takes away your old mattress. They can be a problem to get rid of. My mattress price included a break on sales tax, because I live in the county, not city, and many places don't calculate that right, and it also included free delivery, and taking the old one away. Plus, they put the bed together for me.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I just bought myself a brand new bed and mattress. I was sleeping on a twin sized memory foam bed with my cat and 6 month old Great Dane. I didn't have much room on it, obviously.

I got a great deal on a queen sized bed and Sealy memory foam mattress. I believe the mattress was $400 (it was on sale) with the box. It's not super, but it is very comfortable. My twin bed memory foam mattress was more comfortable, but my mom bought it for me, so I couldn't spend as much on mine.

All together the queen bed, mattress and mattress protector was about $900. Not too bad!
    Last edited by NBChoice; Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Two things you never scrimp on: good shoes and a good mattress. We got a Tempurpedic Cali King 3 years ago and I love it. There were 5 of us in there the last couple nights and nobody was in a valley, nobody was launched when DH rolled over

Why are they so expensive? Probably because they have to pay all the staff that work in the 27 mattress stores all located within a stones throw of each other. Are they cover for drug rings? Illegal gambling? Houses of ill repute? How many mattresses do people buy anyway?

I know, there is something VERY funny about the whole mattress business. They are EVERYWHERE!

I second Ikea. Mine was around $350. Amazingly comfortable. It's foam and I don't find it unusually hot.