The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Why are mattresses so expensive!!??

I could buy a laptop for less money!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Feeling you. Just went and shopped for one...came home without one. Of course the most comfortable one was $3k. As if.

But DH and I do need a new one, because we're getting old and it now HURTS to get out of bed in the morning *sigh*...but 3k? Seriously?

2 members found this post helpful.

My mother just bought a twin set: $1200 ! i want a new mattress, but i guess i won't get one.

I want one of these:

http://www.hamptonhomecollection.com....aspx?mattress
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

We are currently looking and have found many reasonable ones with great reviews on Overstock.com (free shipping) and Amazon (never thought of looking there before!). Many are name brand, decent warranties and plenty of customer reviews to consider.

Also check out sleeplikethedead for reviews and information.

ETA: started looking after the $4,000 quote in a store (ahhhhh!)

2 members found this post helpful.

Consider that you get quite a bit of life out of it... if you pay $1800 for it and it lasts you 10 years, that's only $180/year... or less than 50 cents per night.

And remember you spend roughly 1/3 of your life in that bed. And how well you sleep at night is pretty much responsible how you feel the next day.

The good news is, is that they are always on sale somewhere.

ETA:

I was mattress shopping a while back and I went to 7 different places trying to score the best price. I decided on a Beauty Rest model blah blah blah..(I forget the actual model name) and couldn't find it at any other store, just Beauty Rest yadda yadda and Beauty Rest thingamabob. So I am complaining, also known as whining to the store manager that I could not properly compare prices because everyone has a different model. He said, "they are all the same model, just named differently for different stores". So that keep in mind.

ETA2, I ended up getting a Stearns and Foster. Don't get one, they sag in the middle after about 3 years when the warranty runs out. Someone else had warned me and I wished that I had listened to them.
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Mattress Firm has good deals if you can find one near you. They tend to carry last year's models so they're a little less. Still a pricey PITA though.

Our mattress was $400 at IKEA and we love it.

Ditched the $1800 fancy pillowtop thing after a year because we were sleeping in giant body-shaped holes and of course the warranty didn't cover that.

My mom has a great latex mattress from the local annoying-ad furniture store and she loves it. We are thinking about one of those once we get 2 years out of this one. I think their most expensive fancypants mattress is $1599 and the average ones are $800ish.

Don't they make you sweaty soloudinhere? I have a memory foam mattress right now and...I wake up drenched. I don't have that problem at hotels...

There is some great big scam thing going on with mattresses because they advertise EVERYwhere and are always massive sales. There must be insane mark ups.

I get free ones on craigslist. I looked into the temperpedic, and bought a $400 version at Costco. Next time I'd just buy the foam topper.

We got one off of overstock for our daughter and it's the nicest mattress in our house. They come all vacuum sealed up- and you need 3-4 days for them to puff up and out gas. It's all soy foam.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    We got one off of overstock for our daughter and it's the nicest mattress in our house. They come all vacuum sealed up- and you need 3-4 days for them to puff up and out gas. It's all soy foam.
    That is awesome to hear: we are looking at one from Overstock! Could you mention the brand?

As far as foam mattresses being heat sinks; the newer ones have a gel mixed in that people say makes amazing difference in not heat trapping like the older ones.

Someone here suggested the camping air mattresses (under
    $150) and it works great! The only issue is that it's cold in the winter, so used blankets under the mattress cover. Much more affordable!

I tried out the Simmons Curv in the store yesterday and was surprised that I really liked it. I am Leary of the heat built up so yes, ease share brand and models that don't!
    I am looking for a King so that does not help price wise...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Costco has great prices on mattresses in the seasons when they carry them.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I bought a memory foam/gel mattress topper from Costco; the King Size was only around $130! I LOVE it, and it made a world of difference in how well I slept (I have a crappy lower back ...)

Unless your existing mattress is a complete wreck (and has a giant sinkhole in the middle), the mattress topper will sit on top and even everything out. The one downside is that it does slide around a bit (and you often have to slide it back into position when pulling the fitted sheet around it), but that's a small price to pay for the comfort *and* affordability!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I don't get the whole expensive mattress thing either. I'm also not sure how there can be a mattress store on every block, seriously who buys that many mattresses?? DH and I have an Ikea bed with wooden slats instead of a box spring and then a futon mattress on top. Neither of us can stand regular squishy type ones, they are agony on my back.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

We just bought a new one after Thanksgiving. Marked $2700 in the store. Got it for $1999. After we got home, we found it online for $1100 (not including box spring, frame or shipping). We called the store to cancel, and they ended up matching the price. We got it all in for $1400. Moral of the store - negotiate!

I bought a "Mattress in a Box" from Kmart, it's memory foam. $150 for full size. It's kind of thin but way better than throwing down an entire paycheck on a stinkin' mattress!

Also I have a platform bedframe - no boxspring required. That helps in the $$$ dept.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!