The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My impression of very religious people, they are working mentally in very narrow paths, the only way they can keep focused on believing all that stuff.

If they open their mind and look around they surely will see that the world is about so much more than that their narrow path permits them to work thru.

That is why they can make second citizens of any one not a believer of the faith as they think it ought to be, or deny individual rights to others.
    That is the sad part, how inclusive those people think they are and how so narrow and exclusive they are looking at it from the outside.
    Very true, Bluey.

I keep wanting to buy my mother a bucket of sand for Christmas, so she can stick her head in it; because I swear she's part ostrich. Always has her head in the sand, only seeing what she wants to see and only believing what she wants to believe and only hearing what she wants to hear; despite what's going on right in front of her and engaging every one of her senses.

It's frustrating, but over time I've just learned to accept her for who she is. People like my mom don't change... all anyone can do is either choose to accept them for who they are; or avoid them as much as possible. I vacillate between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I find born agains in any vein to be annoying. Whether it is religion, vegetarian/vegan, gluten free, etc., they are all annoying.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gabby.gator View Post
    my BIL found Jesus in jail. while I am what I consider a fallen down Catholic (meaning I don't go to church) some of the stuff he writes to my husband and some of the hi lited pages he sends makes me wonder just what Bible he's reading/quoting.
    Tangentially related: I remember an online discussion in which a guy who'd "found the light" expressed mystification that people could behave morally/ethically WITHOUT believing in God/Jesus. Apparently he'd been a thief (or something)/been in prison and religion did provide him with ethical guideposts that had helped him (apparently) reform his ways. But it was a true shock to him that it's wasn't necessary to everyone.

I have to say that I really wish that the Protestants hadn't come up with the "salvation by faith alone" schtick. Apparently that justifies a whole lot of self-righteous talk, with little to back it up. And I say this as one of the frozen chosen (an Episcopalian).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post

My mom started sending out these weird 'tracts' with the yearly Christmas cards... the tracts being these tiny booklets that were written like comic books, and told short, theoretical stories about people who did "un-Christianlike things" and the punishments God handed down to them. The tract that sticks out in my mind the most is the one about an adolescent girl who was talked into having sex with an older man, and ended up contracting AIDS from him because she had sex before she was married.
    Chick tracts. Horrifyingly hilarious.

http://www.monsterwax.com/Tracts.html

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Chick tracts. Horrifyingly hilarious.

http://www.monsterwax.com/Tracts.html
    OMG! YES! These are those crazy-assed tracts she would send out in the Christmas cards!

And THIS is the one I was talking about: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0090/0090_01.asp

Oh man... what a trip down memory lane... not really a good one; but yes- a horrifyingly hilarious one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Living in the Bible belt, it can be a challenge. My nephew, who has been living with us since February and had a horribly tough road before that, has been given a really hard time by kids at school. I told him to just ask them if Jesus would be proud of their behavior. He has no reason to believe in any of it - not with the life he has led. He's 12, and the rejection is so painful for him, but I appreciate that he has the courage of his convictions, despite the pressure to give in and say, sure, I'm saved. Of course, his mom found God in jail, and now says we should forgive her like Jesus has. Sure thing.

I forgot how hilarious those Chick Tracks were. AIDS is so small it can pass through a surgeon's glove! LOL! Thing is, propaganda is still being used. I listen to the Compass (a religious radio station). I hear great sermons and great discussions about family and life, etc. But every now and again programs like "Breakpoint" and another whose name escapes me, trot out the most amazing half truths and garbage as "fact".

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

It could be worse than finding a new religious fervor. It could be those home sales companies that are pyramid schemes, and they keep begging you to do home parties. Then, there are the rabid sports fans, where everything revolves around their team, and their entire wardrobe, and house are decorated in team colors and memorabilia.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Extreme anything is only appealing to the bearer.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Extreme anything is only appealing to the bearer.

Paula
    So true. I've always been incredibly turned off by the people who just really must. shove. religion. in. your. face., and when I "got saved" and then got baptized at the age of 30, the last thing I did was go running around blabbing to the world about it. Maybe it helps that deep down, I'm actually rather private. I just became Catholic last year, and I do not do the whole thing where I have tons of Catholic art or statues throughout my apartment. People would have to go look at my bookshelves to even know that I'm Catholic.

That being said, I can kind of understand why people do it. My SIL was like that, too, 30 years ago when she was born again. It helped her a lot in getting her off of her drug habit. She used to intimidate me as a child (she's 21 years older than I am), but once she was born again, she totally changed and I began to love being around her. Could she be a little nutty about it sometimes? Sure, maybe. But she's a wonderful person with an amazing heart.

I dunno...I think the important thing is having patience, tolerance, and respect for others all the way around no matter what your faith is or isn't.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
    Tangentially related: I remember an online discussion in which a guy who'd "found the light" expressed mystification that people could behave morally/ethically WITHOUT believing in God/Jesus. Apparently he'd been a thief (or something)/been in prison and religion did provide him with ethical guideposts that had helped him (apparently) reform his ways. But it was a true shock to him that it's wasn't necessary to everyone.
    This drives me CRAZY. Not everyone in the world is a Christian and the only good/moral/ethical people in the world are not restricted to those who believe in Jesus. In fact I would argue that some of the worst atrocities that man have delivered upon fellow man have been by the most extreme religious fanatics "in the name of God". The Holocaust and 9/11 immediately spring to mind (different religion for the 9/11 terrorists of course, although in the end it's the same "God"). Or the FLDS forcing 12yr olds to marry 85yr old men because it is "God's will".

Quite a few of my FB friends post those memes that say stuff like "where there is evil there is no Jesus". And every time I'm tempted to post a comment that says "I don't believe that Jesus is the son of God; do you think I'm evil?". I always refrain but I can't help but think that people simply just say that kind of stuff without stopping to THINK. Because truly, it's ridiculous. I can get behind the thought that they think I'm not going to heaven for my beliefs- that's fine with me (and I wasn't trying to get in anyway, LOL). But if they really think I'm an EVIL person because I don't believe in Jesus... perhaps I need to rethink whether I'm friends with this person. And the thing is I DON"T think they really think I'm evil... they just don't THINK and accept whatever they are told to think/say about their religion. That's the part that drives me the craziest.

I posted on the "Christ in Christmas" thread that I'm an atheist, and I am friends with many different people who practice many different types of religions, and I respect all of them. Sometimes we get into conversations where I ask questions about the particulars of their faith (as I am interested to learn), and we discuss my viewpoint that every religion is a man-made doctrine. And I would whole-heartedly argue that all of us behave morally and ethically -despite our wide-ranging beliefs .
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    Living in the Bible belt, it can be a challenge. My nephew, who has been living with us since February and had a horribly tough road before that, has been given a really hard time by kids at school. I told him to just ask them if Jesus would be proud of their behavior. He has no reason to believe in any of it - not with the life he has led. He's 12, and the rejection is so painful for him, but I appreciate that he has the courage of his convictions, despite the pressure to give in and say, sure, I'm saved. Of course, his mom found God in jail, and now says we should forgive her like Jesus has. Sure thing.
    I've had two friends run into that, one ended up moving...she just couldn't take it anymore.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post
    OMG! YES! These are those crazy-assed tracts she would send out in the Christmas cards!

And THIS is the one I was talking about: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0090/0090_01.asp

Oh man... what a trip down memory lane... not really a good one; but yes- a horrifyingly hilarious one!
    OMG! I'd never seen anything like that before.

I made the mistake of looking at this one. What a bunch of disgusting bigots.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0042/0042_01.asp
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My brother was born again about 15 or 20 years ago. His zealousness has caused a lot of problems in our family. I get along with him, but we have had to have a few come to Jesus meetings about Jesus, ironically! He sincerely believes that if he doesn't convert people he is going to burn in hell. I try to make him understand that God gave each of us free will and the brains to use it. That means my brother can't be held responsible for what others choose to do. I don't think the message has gotten through yet, but I'm trying. I also had to tell my sons when they were younger that if he said one word to them about religion that they were to tell me immediately. It is not my brother's responsibility to provide religious education to my children. He had a bit of a problem with that boundary with my nieces and nephews and it caused issues within the family. Honestly, I think it's all about power with him.

This was making the rounds of Facebook today and I laughed out loud for sure! (Maybe not for younger kids, but parents, you be the judge!)

http://imgur.com/gallery/WfmsT

4 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Ummmm, Chick tracts is verryyy scaarryyy
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

5 members found this post helpful.

Originally posted by Bluey:

My impression of very religious people, they are working mentally in very narrow paths, the only way they can keep focused on believing all that stuff.

If they open their mind and look around they surely will see that the world is about so much more than that their narrow path permits them to work thru.

That is why they can make second citizens of any one not a believer of the faith as they think it ought to be, or deny individual rights to others.
    That is the sad part, how inclusive those people think they are and how so narrow and exclusive they are looking at it from the outside.
    Bummer of an impression, Bluey! Sorry your experience of very religious people has been so narrow. Seriously.

"Religious people" come in as many varieties as there are religions and denominations within those religions.

Nothing in Christianity, for instance, (the religion I know most about and am no academic expert by any means! ), teaches anything about making second [class -- I assume you meant "class"] citizens of anyone. Christianity does teach love of one's neighbor, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Far from being exclusive, some denominations are quite eager to include everyone, even to the extent of proselytizing quite actively. That, after all, is Christianity's main mission, evangelism, sharing the Good News that Christ came to save the world.
    Rack on!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    It's odd that a born again Christian would believe people become angels when they die!

Wish more of my friends were born again ...
    I think its just all a part of the whole magical thinking program. I mean, if you've suspended your disbelief enough to believe that God is responsible for why and how people die, then you might as well attach magical transformations to them, if it makes you feel better. I personally don't believe that god "lets" people die, or has a hand in disasters. We die because our bodies age, or because some asshat shot us, or cancer came along. Thinking God is responsible for that level of our lives takes away accountablity and the one thing the Chrisitan church is lacking is personal accountability for how they conduct themselves. I mean, attaching responsiblity to Satan for bad things that happen, or evil things that happen is denying personal responsibility for not controlling yourself, or for not being honest, or whatever. It works the same way with God - not being responsible for your health or for the world your live in is entirely your lack of responsibility. This earth is blowing up from wars because of the people on it blowing it up. It melts from Volcanoes because of the nature of the rock spinning in space with molten lava inside it. Earthquakes happen because tectonic plates converge or diverge, or because land is still springing up from the last ice age, not because god "let" people die or did something to punish us. I believe in a Creator, but not that he meddles with the world we live on. He careated the science and laws our world lives under, and we live the lives out, either bettering ourselves or not, but its our responsibiolity to to live well, and how long we llive, not god's. If there are angels or spirit guides, they are a different being than us, we aren't angels.

The woman who thinks a person dies and becomes an angel is just making up her own feel good story, even die hard christians know that there is nothing in the bible about humans turning into angels.

I have little patience for mindless beatitudes, or mindless speeches of much of any kind, or mindlessness in general. I was given, by the choices my parents made which grew this body and this brain, a pretty decently smart mind, capable of critical thinking, God didn't give it to me, this is what I was born with. I am, however, responsible for what I do with it, and how I can use it to better myself and the people I come into contact with in this life, and to live a good life, and become a better person, closer to the Creator, and become more spiritual and wise, etc.

That sure doesn't include shaming other people into believing what I believe.

Thank DOG none of my friends, or anyone I know any more are born again.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

I felt sorry for the people in the Philippines that were killed in the church in the storm, probably thinking God would save them. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JBD View Post
    It's not uncommon for someone who has been very much into drinking, drugs, promiscuity or their vice of choice to be equally "all in" when they find Jesus. Their basic nature is to be extreme.
    YES ^^ Thank goodness my friend transferred it to running marathons and not religion. It is like they trade one addiction for another.

My sister.
    She does however believe and has told my Mom that's she's afraid I'm going to Hell because I take a weekly meditation class. I lent her a meditation based around the 4 Archangels and she wouldn't listen to it because it was "Of the Devil". It was the freakin' Archangels. How devilish could it be? But, her Pastor told her so, so it must be true. (Did he listen to it? Oh no...he just knows...).
    What gets me the most is the feeling that some Born Agains have that theirs is the ONLY WAY and everyone else is going to Hell and they have to convince everyone to become Born Again too, or else you know what happens....
    We have slowly learned to not discuss it at all.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.