The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Anybody else have a friend recently 'born again'?

I'm glad for her if it makes her happy, but she's driving me nuts with Bible quotes and tales of the good Lord. Everything is jebus and prayers now. And some of the stuff she believes now is hard to swallow. I really don't want to hear it. If she's into it, she needs to save it for her church buddies, but I know she is dying for me to see the light. Gonna be a long wait. Anybody else had this? She's a good friend and I'm happy for her, it hasn't reached the point where I'm going to dump her or anything, but it's getting old.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    I'm glad for her if it makes her happy, but she's driving me nuts with Bible quotes and tales of the good Lord. Everything is jebus and prayers now. And some of the stuff she believes now is hard to swallow. I really don't want to hear it. If she's into it, she needs to save it for her church buddies, but I know she is dying for me to see the light. Gonna be a long wait. Anybody else had this? She's a good friend and I'm happy for her, it hasn't reached the point where I'm going to dump her or anything, but it's getting old.
    SIL was like that for a while, then I suppose the novelty wore off.

I hope she will drop it soon though for your sake. I hate being preached to!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

2 members found this post helpful.

Someone I was friends with as a kid suddenly started posting a lot on Facebook about the awesomeness of submitting to one's husband (not in the Shades of Grey way, either, although that would be just as awkward.) It seems really unlike the girl I used to know and it's very much counter to everything I believe about gender roles, but I guess it makes her happy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not a friend, my student's mother!!! I'm so tired of getting emails at all hours of the day/night about her kid and how he can't learn "this" and "that" because of their religion. Wants the curriculum changed for her son. Sorry, but that's where home schooling comes in! If you don't like it, don't send your kid to public school. To make it worse, she's starting to push it on me and the other teachers/administration.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

9 members found this post helpful.

Tell her in no uncertain terms. My stepfather has a daughter-in-law who is born again, and he and my mother told her point blank that they were not interested, and that it made them uncomfortable, and that unless she wanted to drive them away then she should respect their views on religion and not bring it up when they are around. It worked pretty well, I guess. She still will bring up topics that are not religious per se, but are opinions based on her religious beliefs (i.e., intolerance toward gay people) and when that happens, they excuse themselves and leave.

They are in their mid-eighties, and speak their minds,
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

16 members found this post helpful.

My brother. He got in trouble at work a few years back because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

We just had an evolution discussion last night....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My brother. He got in trouble at work a few years back because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

We just had an evolution discussion last night....
    Discussion?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Discussion?
    Actually it was...usually neither one of us gets angry, we just agree to disagree.

He's a tea party believer and I'm to the left of Gandhi, we have a lot more in common than you would think at first glance....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

10 members found this post helpful.

It's the zeal of the newly converted, and it's a PITA... but most of them DO get better.

In the meantime, you can say "I'm not interested" over and over and over. Yes, she will be hurt, and yes, this isn't easy. You may lose her as a friend.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Actually it was...usually neither one of us gets angry, we just agree to disagree.

He's a tea party believer and I'm to the left of Gandhi, we have a lot more in common than you would think at first glance....
    I get that. Sometimes you come to the same conclusion via opposite routes.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I do, we were great friends for many years, and now she is a full on bible thumper determined to save my soul. I am an atheist. We don't talk much anymore....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank DOG, no!!!!

Then again, I'm probably a lost cause. Not that I'm horrible, I just don't think I'm a good candidate to "cure", perhaps because I have a mind of my own and am not horribly insecure.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

4 members found this post helpful.

Worse than a friend is having your mother get "Born Again". Of course she wants to "save" me because I am "unchurched". She just wants me to be happy and find Jesus just like her so I will be safe. DH was safe because he is Catholic.
    She has toned it down the last couple of years and she lives in AZ and I am in PA. Distance helps.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I do, we were great friends for many years, and now she is a full on bible thumper determined to save my soul. I am an atheist. We don't talk much anymore....
    Our old vet did that, after years of drinking himself silly, he "got religion".
    Good for him, he quit drinking.
    That is very big for someone.
    Around here drinking is a big part of having fun.

When he starts with religion, we just grin and bear it.
    No one is offended, we change the conversation as soon as is polite.

...they would know better....

But the excellent movie Philomena runs a parallel story about an atheist and Judy Dench who has her faith...a thoughtful movie, and true.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

A few years ago I had a very, very good friend of mine go Born Again- almost overnight. She had just gone through some really tough times in her life, and a number of her friends (including myself) helped her through them, just like friends do. She started dating a guy who was Born Again, and then one day, "the veil was lifted from her eyes" (her actual phrasing).

Overnight she changed from tolerant to being close-minded, she dropped all of her guy friends (except the one she was dating)- guys she had been friends with for 30 years, as you mention, kept talking of nothing of church and her Heavenly Father. It was such a radical, sudden change that a large part of me kept hoping she'd snap out of it (or break up with the guy). She did not, and once I realized how very different our beliefs now were, and her intolerance for others, we very quickly drifted apart.

I haven't talked to her in about 4 years, and we may never talk again. She may have been "born" again, but to me, it's like my friend died.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

16 members found this post helpful.

It's not uncommon for someone who has been very much into drinking, drugs, promiscuity or their vice of choice to be equally "all in" when they find Jesus. Their basic nature is to be extreme.

24 members found this post helpful.

There is no fanatic like a convert.

I still remember when I realized my mother had become like her mother, and grandma was a fanatic. It was after a relative had a car accident, and instead of taking him something fun to read, or food he was allowed, she took a religious pamphlet. That was when I realized Mom had changed. It's OK though, some friends took him a Playboy or two to 'read', so he was fine. In fact a major factor in my total estrangement from Mom and the rest of the family is my refusal to attend church, or fake that I believe her way.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

A friend of a friend. She suddenly started posting all of this bible stuff on Facebook and thanking God for every little thing that happened good in her day. When her grandmother died she said "Well at least heaven has another angel now!". I met her a few times before she was this way. She was a drinking, smoking, bad girl. Now she is a different person altogether!

*jesus

If she's that close of a friend, can you not tactfully bring this up to her? She will learn eventually that she's a better Christian by example and not badgering others - perhaps you can guide her that direction.