The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Um...What the H*** was that?

My husband, son, and I moved two months ago.
    We purchased a property that allows us to have our herd at home.

Slightly odd things started happening as soon as we moved in.
    1) Light in son's bedroom is on all the time. Husband and I both turn it off several times a day-even when son is not home.
    2) Items move themselves often. Usually, something I have just set down. Such as my keys or wallet. I will walk in the house, set my keys and wallet down on the kitchen table. Less than half hour later, I go to leave and I have to walk around the house looking for the darn things. This has happened many times in the last 50 days.

So, this brings me to last night. Husband and I are in bed, watching TV. We hear an odd noise. Like car doors slamming. I mute the TV, and we start looking out the windows, to make sure no one is getting into our cars, or such. We go back to watching TV about half an hour later-we start hearing what sounds like a door in the house being slammed repeatedly. Again, we mute the TV, and look out all the windows (just in case-I fret about the horses getting loose). Noise continues for a moment. Husband walks around house. Nada. However, our GSD decides that this is WAY TOO much and she has to sleep with me, on the bed, under the covers.

Good news is that if the house does have an unseen occupant. None of us feel threatened-yet. Hopefully, if we do have a "friend" it stays friendly.

Tell me I am imagining things...please!
    "Just because you have the RIGHT to do something, it doesn't mean it's the RIGHT thing to do."

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

There have been instances where people have moved into homes only to find squatters living in the nooks and crannies, usually in the attic or crawlspaces where they can hide for long periods of time. You never know until you poke around.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    There have been instances where people have moved into homes only to find squatters living in the nooks and crannies, usually in the attic or crawlspaces where they can hide for long periods of time. You never know until you poke around.
    I was going to ask the OP if they moved to Amityville, but wow, this would be worse.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ummm, that has a high creep me out factor!!! Yeah that you don't feel threatened by the events!! Keep us updated.

EH--new place. You're just not used to it. Maybe faulty electricity or not turning the knob all the way--on one of my lights, it flashes if you don't turn it all the way off.

New place, so you don't have a pattern of putting your stuff down, so keep forgetting.

New noises. You'll figure out what it is. Going to the tropics, hearing geckos gets kind of freaky.

7 members found this post helpful.

I never believed in ghosts until I moved to Louisiana. I swear both houses I have lived in are haunted. The first house we heard door slamming a lot, conversations, noises upstairs. Current house, laundry basket moved itself to block a walkway, dog got locked in the laundry room and couldn't have dome it himself, and dh has seen things, heard conversations, had things moved, etc for 11 years now. Oddly enough they don't scare me. And this from someone who sometimes can't watch cold case or other fairly tame shows without having nightmares.

Have you checked your home's history, asked the neighbors?

A friend of mine lived in a haunted house in Ellicott City, MD when I was a kid.

http://www.hauntedhouses.com/states/md/lilburn.htm
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I will take spirits any day over squatters! Ick.

Last year my hairdresser showed me a phone video of her cat coming down the steps to play fetch, a cute game they do. There were a couple of orbs that streaked this way and that. I had seen stuff like this on TV, but never on anyone's personal video. She was creeped out and wanted to know what I thought of it. She said that they were nothing that she saw when taking the video. I said, OH, you have orbs!! I think she creeped out even more at my nonchalant reply. The orbs left like a trail as they flew by quickly.

See if you can put a digital recording device out to catch anything.
    I live in a house that dates back to the late 1700s. I don't have any stories to tell, but my husband has a couple from before I arrived. I looked through photos that I took as I renovated and redecorated, but my only orbs were dust orbs. Lots of them!
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

2 members found this post helpful.

We used to call these phenomena "night noises."

Not being a believer in the "supernatural" I doubt you've got any sort of "spirit beings" in your house. Most likely you've got a combination of new (to you) house "creaks", critters (squirrels often give us the "pitter-patter of little feet), and faulty memory ("damn, I know that I <break: enter 'shut that door' or 'turned that light off' or 'put that food away' or other mundane task: end break>).

But maybe you should contact one of those "ghost under" shows. Maybe you can make some money.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

4 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, we've had those sorts of things happen in my parent's house while we were growing up. Stuff moved from where you placed it, my sister and I would see shadows of people, and my mom saw the ghost of the previously owner a few times. We also had a public outburst during Easter dinner one year with my grandparents present where the objects on a glass shelf were knocked down. The shelf was fine, just the stuff on it came off. It happened 5 feet from my mom and sister who were sitting at that end of the dining room.
    My mom died in the same house and I have had some weird experiences that specifically involved her.

Oddly, like the other poster, none of this really freaks me out. I'm fine with it and none if the occurrences have ever been malicious. I

Sounds like a boggart. In our old house, things would disappear, and if you asked the boggart back for them, he'd return them. Sounds crazy I know, but like the OP you would set something somewhere and it would literally disappear. Then reappear somewhere completely different.

We had this happen with a rented movie. We all checked the DVD shelf, and it wasn't there. I checked a stack of DVD's that was on the floor many times, counted them everything. So did my parents and my girls. It was gone. My dad had to pay to replace the movie. I had picked up the stack of DVD's and put them back in there place. The next day, I found the missing DVD right in the middle of the bunch I had just replaced. My dad was freaked out- he didn't believe us until this happened and he KNEW we had all checked that stack and the shelf multiple times and the DVD was NOT there.

He "misplaced" my asthma meds once. I kept them on my bedside table and never moved it from it's spot (so I don't misplace it when needed). One day, it was gone. I couldn't find it. I looked all around the table, it wasn't there. It wasn't anywhere. I asked the boggart for it back because I needed it and 10 minutes later it was back on my bedside table. It wasn't a case of misplacement, I had taken everything off the table looking for it, and the table had been empty. None of my family members had been in my room so no one could have slipped it in there when I wasn't looking. I was in the main part of my room and no one walked past me to get into the room where my bed was.

There are many things like this that would happen, things disappearing and then reappearing in the same spot after everyone looked or in a completely different spot. I never freaked out about it, just accepted it. We even named him Manny after the character in the book "The Boggart" because he reminded us of that character. Sometimes I miss the little guy, when it wasn't frustrating it was kind of funny!

We lived in a house that was understood to have a ghost... we would hear foot steps going up the stairs often, and loud noises like a basketball bouncing on a hardwood floor right above us all the time. Nothing that would convince DH that there was anything going on, even when the previous owner asked us if we had heard the ghost yet! (I thought that was supposed to be on the disclosure!)

One night I was home alone and DH was gone on a business trip and I heard those foot steps up and down the stairs all night long... just me and my 2 year old son were in the house the stairs were just on the other side of the bedroom wall, no pipes or anything in those walls and clearly steps went up and then down.. all, night, long. Didn't sleep at all, it was nervewracking.

DH still can't explain what happened the night she stole the ginger though! I had bought fresh ginger for that night's meal... got home and put away all the groceries and got started... got to be time for the ginger and it was gone. I had thrown it in the fridge on the top shelf, remembered it vividly because it was in a little plastic bag with a knot that just caught my attention when I put it in the fridge. Couldn't find it, looked through the rest of the kitchen, the rest of the grocery bags, garbage? Called DH in to look too, he doesn't find it and thinks I forgot to buy it. But I knew I had.. checked the car... not there, not between house and car... DH is very logical, he checked everywhere he could think, dog beds, car seat, with the kid stuff. Nada... so life goes on and we have a bland stir fry dinner and then the next morning he goes to get his leftover plate for his lunch and says Hey! There's the ginger, just as I remember it, front and center on the top shelf of the fridge. His lunch plate is under it.

That spirit never did us any harm though, just drove me crazy sometimes or made us stop and say "what was that noise?" a lot. A very kind elderly lady had passed away in the house and I always figured it was her; she was a friend of a lady that I knew and by all accounts a very nice person.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

I have a bathroom light that turns itself on. But it's only a worn out switch that doesn't click all the way over in place. I have to double check to make sure it stays off. And this has only been happening for the past few months.

On the other hand, this is a kind of funky house - not that old, but was a store and apartment previously, and it has a lot of land with it out in the middle of nowhere. Lots of springs here, and believe they brought in a large amount of fill to set the house on.

Around the time of the revolution, the nearby village was burned and many residents killed in a revolt by British and Iroquois. Many taken prisoner just up the hill from here.

Have a long road frontage along my property with an infamous curve, and a high school classmate was killed in a motorcycle accident here years and years ago.

During our first few years here, I still had my 3 Labbie girls. I swear all of them would skulk around the house like they weren't sure about what else was here. Had done a lot of moving and traveling with those dogs, and it was obvious they liked this place the least. Could have been all the critters outside (or in - house was vacant a couple of years before we moved in. ) Or who knows what may have been lurking wondering our purpose.

We next got a Siamese cat who acted the strangest of any animal I've owned. He didn't stay long. Since have taken in another cat, and my Irish Wolfhound also moved in. But they've come in later years, and it's been much smoother.

I almost wondered, considering the history, that there seemed to be just some odd things going on that would perhaps seem normal in an old house. But a 20 year old house? Well, from time to time, have just assured anything that's there (not really sure they are, but figure it doesn't hurt to chat, just in case ) that we're here to make this our home and to do the right thing for this spot - landscaping, care taking, getting along with the wildlife, etc. As the years have passed, we've either been accepted into the fold, or there really isn't anything there. It has become more peaceful.
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

I have a bathroom light that turns itself on. But it's only a worn out switch that doesn't click all the way over in place. I have to double check to make sure it stays off.
    Yes, there is usually a logical explanation

As for slamming doors- that's exactly what it sounds like when snow slides off the roof here- any snow on the roof?

I'll take spirits over squirrels and squatters ANY DAY!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

My house is haunted. Previous owner, her husband passed away (unsure if it was in the house) and she lived here as a widow for several years before she passed away while taking a bath. Her name's Edna, she seems to be quite friendly and enamored with DD.

She used to push DD's infant swing, wind her mobile, other little things like that. Now that DD is older she talks about seeing Edna sometimes. Can describe her appearance, and occasionally she'll see an elderly woman out in public who she says looks like Edna.

Edna doesn't bother me in the least, but the idea of a squatter!! OMG!!!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

I would replace the bedroom light switch, and anything else, I think I'd just learn to live with it. My previous house had something in the attic, and on windy days from the right direction, something would hit, like a door or something. I never found out what it was, but after the attic fire, when all of the blown in insulation, and everything else in the attic was removed, and restored, the sounds stopped. I always figured it was a loose piece of wood or something else from when they had redone the roof, but I don't know for sure. Because I live next to one of the largest, and most active Military posts in the world, I've had loud booms that sound like something hit the house, or close by, but it's just the way sound travels, and the explosions are many miles away. I also hear sound from pretty far away, and it sounds like it's next to the house, but it's hunters that are up to a mile away, because I can see the lights. I've noticed during cold weather, when the leaves are down, that sounds seem much closer, and are louder.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

My mom is a very logical person. She's also a real estate agent, and she swears some houses have spirits in them. Some are bad (and she won't work with that house), some are good or neutral, and most houses don't have any.

We had a family friend (again, a very logical, well educated, professional woman) who had a friendly ghost. She actually saw the form in her bedroom a few times, but was always comforted by it and never afraid. Once she was remarried and he moved in with a dog, she saw the figure one more time and then it was gone forever. She thinks it was there to protect her, and now she no longer needed protection.

I've never experienced any of this personally, but I wouldn't write it off. If you're not feeling uncomfortable, just go with it. My mom says you know the bad spirits instantly, so I don't think you have one of those.

Or there could be logical explanations. But from your description, it sounds like you've run through those.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

If the house has metal heat vents, they make a lot of clanging and banging noises when they cool down after the furnace runs. If you have the flexible vents, then the furnace itself makes noises while cooling. Then when the humidity changes, or during evening cool downs, the house pops and bangs too. It's amazing the noises a normal house makes.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I agree with the snow sliding off the roof, the air duct vents clanging shut. There are tons of explainations for some of the sounds - including having a squatter living in the attic!! My girlfriend bought a house in the 70s from the bank when the previous owner had defaluted on his mortgage, having become a heroine addict and losing his house. Come to find out nearly 9 months later that he had remained living in the attic after she moved in!!

!!!!

Can you IMAGINE??

She heard noises up there, sometimes late at night. Mostly she would come home and it would seem like someone had been in the house - once she came home and the TV was warm, like it had been just turned off. Slightly smaller leftover portions in the fridge. If she had 7 cans of tomato soup, one day she'd notice that she had 5, but hadn't had any soup of late. Come home and the pot in the lower cabinet actually had water at the bottom, as thought it had been washed but not dried off. Damp kitchen towel. Beads of water in the shower. Wierd, wierd stuff like that. Rarely rarely happened, and she could sort of convince herself it was either nothing, or something she'd forgotton. One day she came home and the house was unlocked, and she KNEW she had locked the house before going to work. She called the police to have them enter the house with her, and they searched the house from top to bottom, including the attic, where they found clothes, a quilt, a ciggarrett pack!! pieces of mail to the former owner and empty needles, but no guy. She actually just assumed it was the former owner, could have been a friend of his, who knows, but crreeeeeep out!! She figured it was him, because down at the local breakfast joint the waitresses had said that oh, yeah, he was still in town in the neighborhood because he still came in for breakfast like he always had done. She changed all the locks and made her house secure. But creeeep!

Another story of that before she found the guys hiding place, one night, watching TV, she had thought she heard creaking in the attic and finally decided it was nothing. But then, not long later, she thought she heard the front door really quietly click shut, as if someone had gone out while she had the TV turned up. She had locked the door priviously, and she got up and checked it and the door was certainly locked, but she knew what she had heard, and could replay the sound in her head and it sure as hell SOUNDED as though someone had just closed the front door, the sweep of it over the floor and all.

Crreeep out!
    They snooze, they munch hay -- oh the abuse! The humanity!!! Won't someone think of the children! - rhymeswithfizz