The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Default What am I? Another political thread. Any others out there?

I don't seem to fit into a left-or-right box on the political scale (didn't it use to be an entire spectrum?).

Here goes:

Very pro-choice
    Very pro gay marriage
    Anti big tax breaks (corporate or personal)
    Anti pork
    Not anti big business
    Not anti big-corp
    Dislike Obamacare intensely but agree something needs to change
    Anti welfare for life
    Pro welfare to work (the actual program needed revision, though)
    Anti illegal immigration
    Pro military pension

So, are there others out there that like bits and pieces of both parties, but dislike the parties themselves as well as the platforms as presented by the "big players"?

What do you call people like this? Moderate used to cover it, but now both sides seem to use that term as something bad.

5 members found this post helpful.

I am.

I think they call us...normal. ;-)

19 members found this post helpful.

That pretty much describes me, tho, I wouldnt say gay marriage is a huge deal w/me, not against it, just think there are MANY more important issues on the table than that.

Several people on this board think I am a right wing fanatic, tho, I dont.

I think a lot of people would agree w/your views tho.
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

You can be a centrist but left leaning on social issues. Most of us don't fit in one box...we're more like a Venn diagram.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't think any of us fall completely on one side or the other.

I agree with you on most everything I think. My biggest beef is people on welfare having more babies, and then more. Yet I am pro-choice. So its their choice, but....do you see where I am going with this? Is asking for welfare mom's to be on depo asking too much? And believe me, if there was a birth control shot for men they would be on it too.

I hope I didn't just open a big can of worms and am not trying to derail your thread. I'm just saying, not all the answers are easy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Me:

Keep your nose out of other people's business and bodies that doesn't affect you--marriage or women.
    Anti big tax breaks to anyone--need a big change.
    Anti-monopoly and being too big to fail and being able to buy the laws in your favor
    Anti Citizens United
    Pro Universal or Single Payer Healthcare for ALL so we join the civilized nations, and see Romneycare as the painful first step to trying to get there because so many are against taking care of our own
    Anti-welfare for other nations or the military industrial complex--we need to stop spending so much on the waste in our own country, but especially stop being the world police
    Pro welfare to work
    Anti illegal immigration
    Pro giving OUR citizens the basics we ALL need to bring up our OWN country and the world--education, healthcare, infrastructure, safety, basic rights
    Pro- FAIR democracy, movie stars, athletes and CEOS do NOT deserve, earn or in any should make 3,000 times more than the average person.
    Anti atristorcracy, fascist class system.

Most people, in the end, are reasonable. There is just a huge brainwashing machine at work.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiad View Post

I agree with you on most everything I think. My biggest beef is people on welfare having more babies, and then more. Yet I am pro-choice. So its their choice, but....do you see where I am going with this? Is asking for welfare mom's to be on depo asking too much? And believe me, if there was a birth control shot for men they would be on it too.

I hope I didn't just open a big can of worms and am not trying to derail your thread. I'm just saying, not all the answers are easy.
    I think a lot of them would love to have access to free and easily accessible birth control...a really great sex education program would be very beneficial too.

It's really not a poor person's choice whether to have an abortion. They can't afford one and none of the government medical programs will pay for one.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I think a lot of them would love to have access to free and easily accessible birth control...a really great sex education program would be very beneficial too.

It's really not a poor person's choice whether to have an abortion. They can't afford one and none of the government medical programs will pay for one.
    And to me that is the right's fault in a big way. PP used to be much more available with STD testing,birth control and low/no cost abortions depending on financial means.

I currently live in the bible belt, and talked to plenty of students when I want back to college (started at a community college so met plenty of students with lesser means). I was amazed at how both the religious stronghold on the area and the conservative republicans had made it so a) few understood the options available to them and received very little in the way of sex education other than "not til you're married" and b) both also prevented/scared off those clinics willing to offer low cost options and education to the community.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiad View Post

No derails; it's all connected! I see what you are saying and I agree. But I am also concerned about giving the government that opening into controlling our bodies.

If you really want a label, this quiz will give you one. It's pretty thorough and will give you a label like "center-left moderate libertarian."
    http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/pol...trum-quiz.html

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    I am.

I think they call us...normal. ;-)
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    If you really want a label, this quiz will give you one. It's pretty thorough and will give you a label like "center-left moderate libertarian."
    I'm going to check that out tomorrow, thanks!

jenny--I'm almost the same as you--left moderate social libertarian

I'm betting a lot of people are similar.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    According to that I'm a far-right social libertarian.

Interdasting.

Mostly right, but I don't consider myself far-right in some ways. I'm not remotely religious and I don't give a damn what people do in their own bedrooms.

So, how did you end up so far on the right? Big military and policing the world? That seemed to be what put you right on the one I saw. It explains it on the bottom.

Interesting everyone seems to be a libertarian.

Pro choice
    Pro equal rights for the lgbt community
    Pro legalizing marijuana and taxing it
    Pro legalizing prostitution and taxing and setting guidelines for it
    Pro sex ed starting in elementary schools (how babies are made ect, all age appropriate stuff)
    Pro GMO labeling
    Anti big corporations/ monopolies like Monsanto

I am thinking politics are a bit more complicated that some here seem to understand.

There are no simple answers to say I am against this and for that in many areas of politics.
    When it comes to why governments do what they do, few ever realize what all is involved.

One example, not wanting to help other countries when necessary?
    Here is one of way too many examples of why it is/has been done:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/comme...#axzz2neiDJzGU

The trouble with politics is that national politics tend to have global implications.
    The USA is not a bubble in itself, but interconnected with the economies of other countries in important ways.
    That helps give us stability, by trying to keeping some stability in other countries, or at least working with them to everyone's advantage and of course our own also.
    We don't get to see but the tip of the iceberg international politics and trade are.
    We can't be good judges of what is right or wrong, because we don't have enough to judge by.

It rated my responses as "left moderate social authoritarian." I detect a distinct note of judgement in that "authoritarian" bit...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post

What do you call people like this? Moderate used to cover it, but now both sides seem to use that term as something bad.
    It makes you an American. Who cares if people think "Moderate" is a bad work. Truth is, most people fall towards the middle rather than the extremes, it's called "the bell curve" or "normal distribution". Just because one group is vocal doesn't mean they represent any larger part of the population than they do.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I came out "center right social libertarian", no fish nor fowl, I guess.