The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't know where/how to start to deal with all my various issues.

I can walk so I guess that would be the logical place.

I have so many freaking issues and none of them seem to want to respond to Physical Therapy (or drugs for that matter). I just finished a Medrol dosepak and it did nada.

I guess, I don't know who to go to but I am really tired of being "parted" out...what a waste of time and money.

I currently have issues with my right foot, right hip/upper thigh, right shoulder and oh, because of chronic tailbone pain, I cannot sit like on the floor for yoga or on a bike. I have my saddle tricked out with a funky cushion so I can ride for up to an hour. Unfortunately, riding is currently aggravating my shoulder and hip/leg.

Anyway, sorry for the vent but I want to be functional again and would gladly exercise if I found something that didn't make me hurt worse.

Susan

Susan

One of the better ways to start exercising is with basic exercise that uses your own body for weight, as these here do:

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardiow...xercises_6.htm

You add to that some walking or any other you want to do with whatever exercise equipment you may have handy.

Susan, I'm so sorry - it definitely sounds like you're in some pain

Walking would probably be logical - but keep it small and short! I have a friend who had a lot of pain issues, and she started very very small and kept with it. Do less than you think you can, and then build up.

We're here for you!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrabee View Post
    I don't know where/how to start to deal with all my various issues.

I can walk so I guess that would be the logical place.

I have so many freaking issues and none of them seem to want to respond to Physical Therapy (or drugs for that matter). I just finished a Medrol dosepak and it did nada.

I guess, I don't know who to go to but I am really tired of being "parted" out...what a waste of time and money.

I currently have issues with my right foot, right hip/upper thigh, right shoulder and oh, because of chronic tailbone pain, I cannot sit like on the floor for yoga or on a bike. I have my saddle tricked out with a funky cushion so I can ride for up to an hour. Unfortunately, riding is currently aggravating my shoulder and hip/leg.

Anyway, sorry for the vent but I want to be functional again and would gladly exercise if I found something that didn't make me hurt worse.

Susan

Susan
    A good yoga instructor should be able to help you find comfortable variations on moves that cause you discomfort or put you in a compromised state. If you are seriously interested in trying yoga, I would find a reputable instructor and talk to them about your limitations and see what they can do for you.

Well as soon as I get my knee surgery on 8 Jan, I'm looking forward to getting back to running. Before it happened, I had just brought my 1.5 mile time down almost a full minute, and I've got a goal to completely run a 10k in September of 2014.

I also want to start doing more yoga, and even just the basic stuff has helped me remember to breathe when things get tough, especially when riding. I had a moment when I was riding a friends horse where I was getting close to a jump and started to pick and fidget, and my brain said "just breathe" and I did, and immediately my whole body relaxed and I saw the spot and it was perfect. That moment convinced me how helpful yoga/pilates was.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys. Again...sorry for the vent but I would like to be able to walk like a normal person.

Since it is winter and we have had snow/ice for the last three weeks, I have fired up my Wii Fit again. Talk about baby steps but after 30 minutes of various games/exercises I'm sweating so it is doing something. No big motions and no impact and so far after 2 sessions, it didn't make anything worse. I am doing some of the Wii Fit yoga but should find an instructor.

I think after the first of the year I am going to try a different pain doctor who is an osteopath. I need to find someone that will do some gait analysis to see where thing are going off. The foot injury is old and I finally had it repaired Jan 2013. I no longer have the pain in my foot but mechanically, although better, I don't think it will ever be 100%. I need to figure out the best motion for what I have.

As weather conditions allow, I am also going to walk.

So, over my pity party...let's exercise on.

Susan

1 members found this post helpful.

After all the barn and farm chores, I work out pretty regularly at my PT office. He has a lot of the same equipment that the gyms have and he's only 5 minutes away whereas the closest gym is about 25 minutes. With my BC/BS health care it would only cost me $25 for the yr to go to a gym but with a gas guzzling truck, it ends up costing me a lot more in gas than the $30/month I spend at the PT office.

Unfortunately right now, the PT and I are dealing with either a muscle tear or something else with my gastrocnemius muscle so I've been doing PT for it since the wk after Thanksgiving. There is definite improvement but I'd sure never to on a hike or even use the treadmill. He's got an elliptical bike that works well.

What is surprising is that I've dropped about 15 lbs since early November without even trying. Not sure if that's good or bad. I feel fine but don't have the appetite that I usually have. Believe me, I'm not complaining but do plan to see my Dr the beginning of the year.

I've learned over the yrs that I definitely need to keep the core muscles in shape or I'm in serious pain which is why I like the PT office. If I have a problem I know he's there to help.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I don't know what that muscle is, Sue, but I hope it heals up soon for you!

I watched a really inspirational video about a woman with...I think MS?...who couldn't stand, but she did all of the P90X videos with upper body only and reaped *so* many benefits! Really inspirational!

Today was a rest day for me, and boy did I need it. Even grooming the horses was tiring!

I think after the first of the year I am going to try a different pain doctor who is an osteopath. I need to find someone that will do some gait analysis to see where thing are going off. The foot injury is old and I finally had it repaired Jan 2013. I no longer have the pain in my foot but mechanically, although better, I don't think it will ever be 100%. I need to figure out the best motion for what I have.
    Kyrabee- Not sure where you are in Boise, you may want to consider seeing an A.R.T. person. Active Release Therapy has helped me enormously with old injuries. There are several in the Boise area, but you want one with the most certifications, which would be Dr. Eric Crum at the Spine Center or Al Jones at Advance PT. I'd recommend Dr. Crum, just because he has a certification in Biomechanics, which may be helpful with your gait problems. http://www.activerelease.com/provide...e%2C+ID%2C+USA

If you have access to a pool where you can walk laps in waist deep water, that would be easy on your joints and get you moving without as much physical stress.

Me! I've slowly let the pounds increase on me and didn't realize how much until I tried to squeeze into my "nice" jeans for Christmas Eve celebration. Thank god for stretch and sweater weather!

Being in vet school and sitting on my butt studying all the time is why I am where I am. In the lower semesters, my schedule worked out better to go to the gym when I had a break in the middle of the day. I would rather run outside, but in the summers and fall, its run in the early am before my classes or don't run outside. Evenings are out cause that's when I walk my dog and he is too old to run with me. Not sure when working out will fit into my upcoming semester, but I am gonna make the effort to do it 3 or 4 times a week and eat better.

Me! My SO and I went on a cruise in mid September and it's been downhill after that. I really need to start eating better and exercising more. My goal is to lose roughly 35/40 lbs. Luckily we have an elliptical machine at home as well as some free weights. I'd love to start some yoga as well to help with my core and riding. Having somewhere to check in at would be awesome!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I'm game. Gained 10 of my 20 pounds I lost back. Joined a free fit 4 life class 3 days a week. Really out of shape but showing some improvement after a month. Great motivation with all the kids in there and really close to home. Now I have to motivate myself to eat better along with the exercising.

Cammie...thanks for the names.

I have actually been to Dr. Crum before and had him work on my foot. Short of the surgery, what he did, did help more than anything anyone else did.

Not only that, his office is about 1/4 mile from my house!
    That may be an idea...and I could walk there.

Susan

I was trying to count calories again (i did a great job and lost 15 lbs last summer just watching calories and not working out), but I havent been able to really curb my eating habits despite working out more because I have a gym at work. So I've created 5 different workouts three for when im at work and have the gym, and two for at home and just rotated them for the days and give myself some rest days in tehre plus watching my calories.. I really need support without being accountable its hard to really stay on it. Im planning to get on it after I visit my parents at home this weekend... I've also been trying to kick a cold... its horrid.. been 21 days ive had a cold... and i went to the doctor after a week an she wouldnt give me antibiotics.. ugh.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

I'm in!!! Started jogging / running short hill intervals (less than 60 seconds) in the fall and that increased my fitness incredibly. Also was doing exercises out of the Rider Fitness book. Returning to those two activities is my goal.

You guys are all so awesome.

rosebud, I'm so sorry to hear about your cold - that really bites! Get some rest and stay warm!!

I have eaten probably 3 billion calories today. Gah. Must do better tomorrow!

Yea, I've been bad today and yesterday, but for the most part was staying until my max of 1900 (tho the goal is 1400).. I want to try to eat more nutritious instead of just any empty calories as long as I don't go over.... I really wanted to cry I rode my 23 yr old a week ago for 20 minutes and jumped a few small jumps.. I was so winded... Having babies has its drawbacks... aka not as much riding time.. and my inner thighs were on fire for three days... It does not help that I started working nights this year... and that is messing with my system!
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

How's everyone doing? I feel like it's a bit cliche to have picked up my workout routine right after the new year, but hey, I got to start somewhere! Got some new workout videos in, did some meal planning/prep last night and look forward to getting back to it!

Happy New Year all, and good luck with your goals!

meh, i'm not doing so well. while I love pilates I am finding I am so nauseas I cannot do an entire class without a break.
    i'd like to go test ride some bikes but haven't found a used bike place here yet--once I do dh and I will ride them a couple of times a week.
    however we are both determined to eat better and have found a farm store which sells grassfed and local meats and eggs so that's a huge help.
    as of now we are grain and sugar free though!

Late to the party, but I'll join in. The Holiday Season has been an eating disaster and I need to get serious about eating well again. I'm pretty active. I took up walking in late Summer, which lead to some pretty serious Hiking. In November, I joined the Y (thank you Silver and Fit) and I have been going faithfully. I try very hard to exercise, either hiking or at the Y, six days a week.

I'm limited, since I have a totally blown out shoulder that can't be repaired, to exercise that doesn't involve my upper body. That's the elliptical and the treadmill, basically. But, I usually spend at least an hour, sometimes more, at the Y, and, if I'm out hiking, it can be two or three hours.

Today, with the steady snow that is supposed to come down all day, I'll be exercising by shoveling. I've already been out once, and, while it's bitter cold, it is extremely beautiful out there, and I do want so badly to go out for a hike in it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.