The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Starting back on my fitness journey - who is with me?

Bucketloads of stress this fall caused me to walk away from all that I was doing. I felt so good at the time and I want it back!

I'm starting small. 20 minutes on the Nordic Track, 3 days a week until that's a habit. Who is with me?

3 members found this post helpful.

Me! Except it's worse - I've been slacking for much longer!

2 members found this post helpful.

I spent 3 months on crutches, so me. I've been swimming a couple of days a week (I'm still limited in what I can do), do PT once a week, and try to walk with my dog twice a day (I can manage about a mile plus now). I also throw in some easy yoga and a little core work at home. Looking forward to pedaling a bike!!!

Stationary bike riding every day (or trying to do it every day I don't walk). Some days I try to do both. I've worked up to cycling about 3/4 mile so far while watching Downton Abbey and other PBS programs. Need to get back to hill walking.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Me! I am going to go to the gym 4 times a week again and do yoga in the evenings. I am also cutting out wheat to see of that will help my extra 15 pounds drop off because I have been fighting it for 8 years.

yep, need to get back in the gym (had a bad cold that knocked me around for a bit...)

Went every day, working on different muscle groups at a time, a little of treadmill to warm up.
    (my downfall is inadequate nutrition though...I want to build muscle, not lose weight)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yes I'm trying to go to the gym at least 2x a week, and do "something" every day otherwise: walking, xc skiing... I need a lot more motivation in the winter because it's much harder to get moving when it's COLD and wet! At least when my dog was still alive she was my main motivator *sob*
    In the summer I don't even think about exercising: I ride my bike instead of taking my car when I can (including to go to the gym, ha!) , I go hiking, swimming, I'm more active overall and outdoors a lot more.
    The 3 - 4 months stretch of Maine winter is what usually does me in. Trying not to fall into that trap this year, and Zumba classes are what saves me!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Me! I also had a very busy fall that kept me away from regular exercise. I need to get "back on the horse" and I miss the feeling of regular exercise.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Count me in. My family was here in mid-November and I've been eating non-stop since, plus baking. Ugh. I just came home from work and said to my hubby, "Omg, I have to get my sausage legs out of my jeans!" I don't eat right, so in the New Year want to learn and thinking about joining a gym that is opening near work. Add in some yoga and hope to drop the 10-15 lbs that would be healthy for me.

If the ice from our recent ice storm melts, I'll start with some brisk walking!

Do we check in with one another? Some sort of way to motivate each other?

Jenn

I'm with ya!!! After losing weight I am at a plateau (which I suppose is better than the alternative of gaining!) and am looking to add more exercise to my routine as I really don't have anything other than riding.

I'm looking for just 20-30 minutes a day of anything. I got some recommendations for under 30 minute workouts in this thread that I am going to start: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...nder-half-hour

Count me in.

After getting the thumbs up from my doc that my uterus won't fall out mid-run, I joined a local 24/7 gym to try to get healthy again. My problem is that the only time that I have to go is after I feed Herself in the evenings, and that means I don't get home until around 11, if not later. My motivation does a big whomp whomp when push comes to shove.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

i'm in too. started pilates reformer semi privates three weeks ago, three times a week. it feels AMAZING to use my body again, after being so damn sick all summer and fall.
    dh is going with me, which is a freaking miracle but turns out he really likes it and is now that he's had a taste of it is impressed as hell at my mad pilates skillz, lol.
    next week we buy a couple of used bikes and will start exploring the area.

I am half way though my new client membership at Pure Barre. I am going 4 times a week M-F, then I row at the gym or at my SO's house as well as Work out of the Day (WOD) what ever crossfit challenge he gives me. I also walk 1.5 miles M-F.

My problem is eating enough. I work so hard at burning that I am too tired to refuel !

And don't think that just because Barre is a spin off of Ballet that is super easy, I walk out drenched. Those little isolated movements are killer! But my a$$ is looking fab after only 2 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Stationary bike riding every day (or trying to do it every day I don't walk). Some days I try to do both. I've worked up to cycling about 3/4 mile so far while watching Downton Abbey and other PBS programs. Need to get back to hill walking.
    Please note, I'm not ragging on you! Do you mean 3-4 miles? You MUST be pedaling more than 3/4 of a mile if you can do it while watching Downton Abbey. I warm up for PT on a stationary and do about 2 miles in 15 minutes (maybe even 3). And I'm not pedaling that terribly hard- I'm supposed to average about 80 rpm.

Just wondering if your monitor is off or something!

Count me in as well. We just joined a gym as the weather is not conducive to running, etc outside anymore (blech).

Early January I meet with an Endo again to prove that I do, indeed, have a medical issue and I'm not just making it up. I've been keeping a food diary and have been working out three days a week and I haven't lost a single pound nor do I feel better. I'm thinking thyroid, doc originally said Vitamin D deficient (which I was), but nothing has changed.

Here's to the new year!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by FourFaults View Post

Jenn
    I, for one, need accountability and motivation (I'm weak!). We will have to do checking in somehow.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I think that'd be awesome!!! Let's do it!

I logged 20 minutes on my Nordic Track today while watching Tomb Raider 2. Yes...stupid movie...guilty pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    I, for one, need accountability and motivation (I'm weak!). We will have to do checking in somehow.
    There is a COTH group on MyFitnessPal. We could use that - if only to record exercise and talk to each other? I gave up on recording everything I eat. I make most of my meals from scratch and it's too much of a headache figuring out calories etc.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Once I kick this damn cold/flu-like thing I seem to be stricken with I am ALL IN.

Walking every day really helps ground me as does yoga 2-3x a week.

Foodwise, honestly y'all, I think I may have a parasite and need to find a doctor that will do lab work that doesn't cost to much...and I need to cut WAAAY back on the sugar/refined carbs/ditch the coffee..

I some are serious, as long as OT forum stays open, why not ask the Moderator for an exercise sticky at the top, so everyone can check in and read about what to do, etc.?