The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    That's a good point, and very valid. But, imagine the horror of those days when their whole known world was ravaged by the Death. I expect it was a pretty violent, fear filled time. It's that immediate future that would terrify me.
    Yes it must have been but even so without the plague. If I can survive by isolating and defending myself for 6-12 months I want to at least try.
    We know so much more about disease transmission now.

And meanwhile I don't worry about a blizzard ice storm or hurricane.
    ETA: I used to work in tech as does Mr P and we are pretty darn handy. OTOH his brother (career army) and sister (art teacher) are helplessly helpless
    Last edited by carolprudm; Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Add
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Well, I'm not a quitter..never have been so I'd vote to survive. While I'm a bit old for children, I would happily take on orphans and raise them. I also have a lot of practical small scale farming skills that would be very helpful in helping to teach others to survive without the grocery store or Walmart. I can sew, cook, can, preserve, slaughter animals, raise food without chemicals, and am healthy and athletic at 50 still section hiking the Appalachian Trail and hope to finish one day. I'm also a trimmer with some shoeing skills...so I can keep the horses hooves healthy at least.

While i'm not a prepper in that we don't hoard food or have years of ammo on hand, I am pretty self sufficient already. We have a lot of canned goods and my only reason I haven't' canned more is lack of time. I have 100 lbs of sweet potatoes sitting in my pantry and that is on my list as is making scrapple from a pigs head and several other projects. I have several freezers full of meat for our market farm business and if I could keep it frozen or get it dried/canned, I'd have enough for years out there not counting the livestock we have on the farm. I'm already expecting the proverbial crap to hit the fan at some point in the next few years probably due to economic collapse and things to get much harder for many...so I'm doing what I can to be self sufficient and sustainable here on our farm.

That's all assuming we can stay here and are not forced off our land and from our home. That changes things dramatically but we have a 4H LQ trailer and can live in that worst case...and tons of backpacking gear if we ended up on foot....I know we'd try to survive if we could as both DH and I are wired that way.

What a 'lovely' topic to see when I first open Off Topic!

I'm with the +1 for perish.

Sorry, the good life has me very spoiled and I thoroughly enjoy it and do not want to live without it.

My idea of roughing it is the Waldorf Astoria without room service so that should give you some idea of what I'd do with roughing it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Yes it must have been but even so without the plague. If I can survive by isolating and defending myself for 6-12 months I want to at least try.
    We know so much more about disease transmission now.

And meanwhile I don't worry about a blizzard ice storm or hurricane.
    ETA: I used to work in tech as does Mr P and we are pretty darn handy. OTOH his brother (career army) and sister (art teacher) are helplessly helpless
    Not picking on you, I hope you realize, just find your point of view interesting, and thought-provoking. I'm pretty much short-term catastrophe proof here, as well, and figure I could survive a blizzard or an ice-storm very well (already have, quite a few times.)

For me, if it were a matter of the necessities, I would give it a chance. I'm too close to a city, however, and figure I'd get stormed by a mob of hungry, desperate people pretty quickly. I don't really know how, in my area at least, I could manage to isolate myself sufficiently. And, I don't want my last glimpse of human life to be that of desperation and the anger and fear that engenders.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wasn't the cause of the Black Death the fact that people thought that cats were minions of the devil and had them killed, thus bringing on rampaging rats, thus causing the death?

As far as the DPs on TV, they are way over the top. I have watched the show, and seen very few I would consider normal.
    Having said that, I have also seen Idiocracy, and between the Doomsday preppers, and the nitwits, I would rather be with the DPs. With the world in the state it is in, I have begun to think seriously about gathering some food stuffs together. But then to cook...how? [my own apocalypse would be destruction of the power grid,] Here in the mid west where temps can vary 100 degrees, [sometimes in a day] Heat and cool are important.
    Then what to feed the 4 footers? I have yet to see cat and dog food freeze dried. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just haven't seen it.
    I have a Very Good Friend who gave me a box of wheat rice and beans recently from a local place that does sell these food stuffs. He is a SERIOUS prepper. If I had the spunk I did when I was working, I would be in the game, but I don't and am undecided. I hate the thought of giving up without a fight, but there isn't much fight left in me at the mo.
    And as far as an armory, while I am a STRONG supporter of the 2nd amendment, I know I am too depressed to own a gun. Dale told me if the stuff hits the fan, I can come by and he will give me one to be able to get to a friends out in the country who has said I could come to stay.

And while most of us on these boards love them, some still think cats are minions of the devil!!!
    Another killer of threads

I used to think I'd want to stick around and fight it out, but now I think I'd rather just be gone. Especially after the zombie dream I had last night! They killed my neighbor and I knew they were coming for me next. First I tried to run, but they caught up with me. Then I tried to hide, and they found me. Then I tried to shoot them, and I was successful, except there were more zombies than I had ammo. Finally I decided than rather be eaten by zombies, I'd choose to kill myself. Me and Mr. PoPo got our guns and pulled the trigger but I just ended up with a big hole in my head and a headache. Mr. PoPo somehow became a zombie, but a nice one, so he told me to just play dead whenever the zombies came around and they'd leave me alone.

I think I'd rather just go and be done with it. It is no fun running from zombies.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    I used to think I'd want to stick around and fight it out, but now I think I'd rather just be gone. Especially after the zombie dream I had last night! They killed my neighbor and I knew they were coming for me next. First I tried to run, but they caught up with me. Then I tried to hide, and they found me. Then I tried to shoot them, and I was successful, except there were more zombies than I had ammo. Finally I decided than rather be eaten by zombies, I'd choose to kill myself. Me and Mr. PoPo got our guns and pulled the trigger but I just ended up with a big hole in my head and a headache. Mr. PoPo somehow became a zombie, but a nice one, so he told me to just play dead whenever the zombies came around and they'd leave me alone.

I think I'd rather just go and be done with it. It is no fun running from zombies.
    WOW!

My dreams are not near that long and ... complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by emilia View Post
    "Nuclear war will be the war, in which those that stay alive will envy to those, who are already dead."
    This is also in a Megadeth song, "Set the World Afire" circa 1989. One of my favorite songs.

I don't think you can really choose what will happen to you depending on your location relative to the disaster. But, I choose survive.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

That's a good point, and very valid. But, imagine the horror of those days when their whole known world was ravaged by the Death. I expect it was a pretty violent, fear filled time. It's that immediate future that would terrify me.
    Well, that's when the social glue that was the Church came in handy to provide continuity and structure. It might have been a fear filled time but I doubt there was a whole lot of violence.

Read Earth Abides, read The Postman, Free Flight, all post apocalyptic scenarios of varying degree of horribleness. I should have said straight out I plan to stick around, but first I need to brush up on my first aid classes.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Well, that's when the social glue that was the Church came in handy to provide continuity and structure. It might have been a fear filled time but I doubt there was a whole lot of violence.

Read Earth Abides, read The Postman, Free Flight, all post apocalyptic scenarios of varying degree of horribleness. I should have said straight out I plan to stick around, but first I need to brush up on my first aid classes.
    I would say, if all is left is one more theocracy, like I grew up in and so many still in this world, I don't know that I have the stomach to live thru that again.

Not that they would let me live anyway, of course.

You can be a martyr for your religion and for not having one too.

I watched some TV documentary where two nice Aboriginal women in their gingham dresses chased a feral cat down and bashed its head in, then tossed it on the campfire and roasted it, fur, entrails and all. Not how I'd do it, but it worked.
    Incredible Invisible

I understand your point Bluey. Maybe that would be the hardest part is giving up some of our secular freedoms.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I understand your point Bluey. Maybe that would be the hardest part is giving up some of our secular freedoms.
    Maybe it won't have to be so after all.
    Humans seem to be evolving past needing those kinds of social glue.

Would have to see what survives, would we.

Not picking on you, I hope you realize, just find your point of view interesting, and thought-provoking. I'm pretty much short-term catastrophe proof here, as well, and figure I could survive a blizzard or an ice-storm very well (already have, quite a few times.)

For me, if it were a matter of the necessities, I would give it a chance. I'm too close to a city, however, and figure I'd get stormed by a mob of hungry, desperate people pretty quickly. I don't really know how, in my area at least, I could manage to isolate myself sufficiently. And, I don't want my last glimpse of human life to be that of desperation and the anger and fear that engenders.
    Just quoting your thread to make a point..not picking on your comments. I also think a lot of folks way underestimate how ugly people will get and how fast it will happen when food runs short. For a sneak peak we only need to look back to the gov't shutdown in October when the EBT cards quit working for a short time and there were riots and looting at Walmarts. Those folks weren't even "hungry" in any sense...just PO'd that the couldn't' go home with their food. I'd give it maybe a 2-3 days in most cities before the riots and looting starts and those of us farther out maybe a week or two at best before we have to worry about people showing up intending to take what they need/want any way they can.

Security is a great weakness we have here too. On 26 acres of open flat land...I guess we could see someone coming a long ways but no way to defend this place easily. My hope is that friends, many armed veterans like us, will come and stay with us both to help us run and protect this farm as well as to be our own little community. Lots of gun toting redneck neighbors too and I've become connected with as many of the folks near me as possible.

I think even you folks in the suburbs can network for safety and support also if things get bad. An aversion to firearms might be a problem though for some of you from what I remember in past discussions. Learn how to shoot well, learn some basic tactics on how to survive a gunfight and consider that there are some things worse than death. I will be keeping my last round for myself if I'm faced with that choice or a mob that would gang rape me to death.

I think we'd be delusional to expect our police forces to be around to protect anyone. Maybe DHS would show up to drag us off to camps and take any food they can confiscate but I'm not sure in a long term scenario that they'd be looked at as friends. I have a farmer friend who raises hogs and beef and his buddy went into DHS. He was bragging to my friend after his training that one day he might have to come and confiscate his animals for food. My friend, a veteran and a Baptist preacher, told him he'd do it over his dead body. He was serious. The DHS now has armored vehicles and a lot more ammo than they need so who knows what the powers-that-be have planned but I doubt they'll be gentle about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree, a speedy demise would be much preferable.

I used to live right by South Park in Colorado. That place is where the survivalists go to die. They are all off the grid, have all their guns loaded and ready, and most of their philosophical outlook scared the crap out of me. Honestly I would much prefer death than to be around people like that. I mean, if you have to have guns to shoot other people to protect your crap, I would rather die.

And the thing is I worked for years as a professional botanist for USFS, NPS, and BLM, and I DO know how to eat all the right plants. But that would suck, digging up frozen cattail roots, etc. I think I am just too lazy.

3 members found this post helpful.

It really depends for me. For a lot of more realistic catastrophes, i.e. massive storms, natural disasters, epidemics, etc., I'm game. Scared, but game.

I'm not particularly interested in charting out life after a major nuclear war or the like.

If we're talking zombie apocalypse type stuff? I'm out. Soooo out. I love to watch The Walking Dead but I have no desire to live it.

I read dytopian books which if anything gives you an idea of what things might be like if things fall apart. All depends on the cause whether I would make it or not. I am in a wheelchair so it does make things harder in a survival situation. I think if anything your attitude means more in a survival situation. If you just plop down and give up then yep you would die, if you keep calm, think with common sense and have a few skills you would survive just fine. People all over the world live right now with no running water, no Walmart or electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by AnastasiaBeaverhousen View Post
    Also, I have a question for those who are into these things,
    I saw an episode of Doomsday Preppers and one man had built booby traps in his yard. Isn't that against the law?
    TIA.
    Yes, it is against the law (I saw this episode with my parents at Thanksgiving!). He would have to put fencing around his whole property and a million "no trespassing or get killed or maimed" signs to put lethal booby traps in. I don't think he'd have made it very long into the apocalypse, thought, because you'd need smarts and logic as well as ammo to survive (1 out of 3 may not cut it). Like the guy with the "blend in" treehouse - once his location is discovered it's all over.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Just quoting your thread to make a point..not picking on your comments. I also think a lot of folks way underestimate how ugly people will get and how fast it will happen when food runs short. For a sneak peak we only need to look back to the gov't shutdown in October when the EBT cards quit working for a short time and there were riots and looting at Walmarts. Those folks weren't even "hungry" in any sense...just PO'd that the couldn't' go home with their food. I'd give it maybe a 2-3 days in most cities before the riots and looting starts and those of us farther out maybe a week or two at best before we have to worry about people showing up intending to take what they need/want any way they can.
    do you really think this would happen? seems to me that when times get tough- really tough- people tend to gather and cooperate and pull together, not fight each other. We've only managed to survive this long by living in cooperative groups, so we have that instinct to group together and help each other.
    The riots and looting usually happen during silly, not really "tough" events. People just take advantage of the opportunity to act up because they know it isn't really all that important.

Any of you read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? SHUDDER.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

4 members found this post helpful.