The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default So would you rather survive or perish in a global cataclysm?

Was watching Doomsday Preppers and decided that
    I would rather just die outright then survive.

Number one, I am pretty sure that I wouldn't last very long without Walmart.
    don't know how to tell poisonous plants ie mushrooms, toadstools, oleander, nightshade etc.
    i don't like killing things even if I could catch something.
    i don't eat bugs. ever.

Number two, if i manage to survive initial catastrophe, i would probably die of disease, starvation, or murdered by other desperate survivors.

I admit I'm a total wuss.
    My idea of roughing it is having to walk down the hall to the ice machine instead of having a fridge in my hotel room.

Also, I have a question for those who are into these things,
    I saw an episode of Doomsday Preppers and one man had built booby traps in his yard. Isn't that against the law?
    TIA.
    "I can't help but think good horsemanship has to
    do with the mind." Maria Bertram, Mansfield Park by
    Jane Austen.

5 members found this post helpful.

Right there with ya, sister!

People talk about the armory of weapons and ammo they maintain for the post-apocalytic life. I have ONE gun and as long as I have ONE bullet, I'm good to go should I last past the maelstrom.

I've also generously offered myself as a food source for those who choose to stick around and find the pickins are slim.

I think a lot of these prepper people are truly hoping for something to happen, as it will validate their efforts. I know my brother-in-law is looking forward to using his extensive arsenal to defend his beef jerky and Charmin.

14 members found this post helpful.

For me it would depend on the nature of the disaster
    Nuclear war...no
    Flu pandemic.....yes.
    I do keep enough food on hand for 3-6 months.
    Some people can't even survive an ice storm
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

9 members found this post helpful.

Let me go and make it quick!!! I don't really want to watch everybody die around me and mourn them all. Just no.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I kind of think i'm with you on this one.
    before we sold our farm we ( I mean dh) had (still has in storage I bet)
    many large army ammo cans filled with rice, beans, sugar, flour and spices.
    we also had several cases of long island wine in there.
    I told him he could have the rest as long as I could lay claim to the wine when the revolution comes.

fwiw he was/is concerned about the oil/trucking/getting foods to the cities scenario.

2 members found this post helpful.

I can't see myself being good stock for repopulating the earth that's for sure, being past menopause. I might stick around for DH, he's quite capable, and for DD if we do wind up repopulating the earth, but I really need to brush up on my first aid skills. Stocking up with Charmin and jerky? Better teach yourself which leaves to NOT use.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'd much rather survive
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    For me it would depend on the nature of the disaster
    Nuclear war...no
    During our civil defense classes, when I was growing up, we had a great teacher, who opened the chapter about weapons of mass destruction with the following statement:

"Nuclear war will be the war, in which those that stay alive will envy to those, who are already dead."

We lived in Zone Zero, meaning we would all be instantly dead, if your Pershings made it to us.

I was so impacted by that statement, that, anytime we left the Zone Zero (approximately 30 miles radius), I would get all worried that I would actually now have to survive for twenty minutes or so!

We paid a tribute to victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki every year though, so that also reinforced the fear.

I am actually somewhat sad that nobody commemorates it here in the US nowadays. I think, it would have a great detrimental effect on all warmongers.

As for other calamity- no, I would not want to survive. I was brought up to be nice. I used to be in the profession, where I saw a lot of suffering around the world. While nice people keep humanity alive, they invariably finish last in times of upheaval.
    Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. - A.A.Milne

4 members found this post helpful.

Survive. We're all going to die from something sometime. Doesn't matter to me if I die in an explosion or starvation in the aftermath. I'm sticking around as long as I can. My perspective may be different because I'm older (60) and I've already survived some tough situations. Life's an adventure and I plan to wring the last drops out of it.
    Diane
    The Willows Welsh Mountain Ponies

9 members found this post helpful.

Depends on what happened.

I haven't planned ahead. I have a few jugs of water and some canned odds & ends. I keep intending to replenish that stock, and add some flashlights and get my radio up and running.

Around here we are subject to ice storms or hurricanes so I have always kept the basics on hand. I am NOT the person at the supermarket when bad weather is predicted.

One of my Kindle freebee's was a book about a flu pandemic so I have started beefing up my food supplies.

Dried pasta, quinoa, wild rice, Velveeta cheese, crackers, dehydrated vegetables and protein bars are good to keep on hand. Much of it is vacuum packed, some with oxygen absorbers. I also keep canned pasta sauce on hand but rotate those items as they have a shorter shelf life.

Meat....well I do have goats and a fish pond in the summer. We also have an abundance of deer and this year we are seeing wild turkey.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by emilia View Post
    During our civil defense classes, when I was growing up, we had a great teacher, who opened the chapter about weapons of mass destruction with the following statement:

"Nuclear war will be the war, in which those that stay alive will envy to those, who are already dead."

We lived in Zone Zero, meaning we would all be instantly dead, if your Pershings made it to us.

I was so impacted by that statement, that, anytime we left the Zone Zero (approximately 30 miles radius), I would get all worried that I would actually now have to survive for twenty minutes or so!

We paid a tribute to victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki every year though, so that also reinforced the fear.
    I am actually somewhat sad that nobody commemorates it here in the US nowadays. I think, it would have a great detrimental effect on all warmongers.

As for other calamity- no, I would not want to survive. I was brought up to be nice. I used to be in the profession, where I saw a lot of suffering around the world. While nice people keep humanity alive, they invariably finish last in times of upheaval.
    I have always been ambivalent about the use of atomic bombs in WWII. One comment I read somewhere really made me think.
    Look at the 75 or so years leading up to 1945 and there were several major international conflicts, the Franco Prussian war, Japan's conflict with Russia and its later expansion into China, WWI, WWII.
    After the bombs were dropped, most of the conflicts were much more limited. Was it the nuclear detterent?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Count me out. While I do have the knowledge and skills necessary to live off the land, wild or otherwise. I have zero desire to fight to the death or worry about it every.single.day.

+1 for perish.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Survive, without a doubt. I want to go out fighting, thank you very much. Those "Doomsday Preppers" are a bunch of TVidiots if you ask me--totally over the top to sell the show. Mr. CC and I would do pretty well, depending on the nature of the catastrophe.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Yep, count me out.

I'm a farmer...have a giant milk tank full of various seeds, multiple giant fuel tanks all over the property, five tractors, equipment for anything I might need to plant or harvest. Heck, I even have a collection of equipment that could be converted back to horse drawn, and the spoiled rotten pets sitting in the barn right now could earn their keep.

But would I want to set up patrols to protect my land, day in and day out, worrying about attacks to myself, my family, and my property?

No thanks. It's first world comfort or bust for this girl.

8 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Call me a pollyanna, but I am unsure that the "Hollywood" version of catastrophe would actually play out. I'm constantly amazed that my 8th graders believe that if it happens on a screen (TV, video, internet) then it must be the Gospel truth! Anyway--let's hope the scenarios never come to pass.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Not a choice for me.

Without my heart medication, my heart would not regulate properly and I would eventually keel over.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by emilia View Post

We lived just outside of Washington when I was a kid, my father always said, in case of nuclear attack, that we would drive towards the light.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Not a choice for me.

Without my heart medication, my heart would not regulate properly and I would eventually keel over.
    Oh yeah, that too! Without my daily asthma steroids, I can't make it up a flight of stairs. So while I could go knock over a few drug stores, I'd eventually run out and just become a wheezing burden to whoever got stuck with me.