The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What Does The Word Pogrom Mean In Poland?

Any Polish folks out there? I'm asking because there is a stunning stallion named Pogrom, but I cannot get past the name.
    Midwest Station has on their website that it means "invincible hero" in modern times. Of course, Midwest and David Boggs aren't exactly known for ethical behavior

Google shows pogrom to translate to slaughter. Anyone know the real deal?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

It does mean slaughter.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you Polish MGP? How do you know? Honestly, even if it were a new word or whatever, it is so distasteful to me Maybe rename it Charlie Manson or Khmer Rouge!
    The Knotted Pony

Actually Croatian, but grew up around a lot of eastern European families and picked up enough. The word is usually used to refer to mass attacks on Jews, but can apply to any mass "ethnic cleansing".

Not a nice word, and what kind of idiot names a horse that?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

5 members found this post helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogrom and then follow that line of investigation as to the connotation of the word. So "slaughter" does not seem to convey the full meaning.

I'm not Polish, but my daughter studied in Poland and is fluent in language and in the history of the region. I'll ask her and post if she has anything to add to the thread at that time.

Thank you both!
    The Knotted Pony

What an absolutely horrible name. Someone certainly lives in a cloistered world with no contact with previous history--might as well go ahead and name their next horse after Hitler.

6 members found this post helpful.

That's my thought, beton. But this horse is not ba backyard sort, it's a Scottsdale Champion and creating quite a buzz.
    The Knotted Pony

Slaughter doesn't begin to convey the meaning of the word which isn't Polish anyway. It's Russian-Russian/Yiddish and it's been around since the 1800's. This makes my blood boil because my grandfather's family fled Russia at the turn of the century (the previous one) to escape these "authorized" massacres. I don't speak Polish but the closest translation I could find for invincible hero was "niepokonany". Not even close!

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry, susie. It makes me feel sick.
    The Knotted Pony

Not Polish but a Czech/ Slovak cross and it basically refers to ethnic cleansing wiping out entire neighborhoods or towns in a single, violent action.

It might literally mean invincible hero as those doing the "cleansing" consider themselves superior and invincible heros for their actions.

What a classless name. My family had people in the camps-Catholic or couldn't keep their mouths shut but never involved in any large scale cleansing but that name offends me. Can only imagine how it is received by Jewish decendants of pogram survivors.

I'm sure they argue it did not always mean that and has a long history of more honorable definitions. But the swastika had been around a long time as a religious symbol as well, both are offensive in today's world.

Figures Boggs has it...equally disgusting.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Figures Boggs has it...equally disgusting.

I think it is a good thing I will not be able to make it to Scottsdale this year. I never can keep my mouth shut and this has me so offended I don't even have any incentive to do so.

Why would AHA or USEF even allow this sort of name to be registered!
    The Knotted Pony

Who owns it? Who bred it? Boggs has been in trouble forever with the registry, USEF and the court system in various jurisdictions- can't imagine he had enough swag to push for acceptance as a VIP.

Heck, I know a multiple restaurant owner who looked for him for years then sued him and got a judgement. Misrepresentation and fraud. Doubt he collected as Mr B was incarcerated when served.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm Polish. Traditionally it meant to bring (catastrophic) defeat to the enemy, and yes, slaughter. These days it's mostly used to describe attacks against specific groups, whether political, religious or ethnic, and to include the "cleansing" of that population from the area. The various cleansings of the Jewish population throughout the ages from areas of Europe are referred to as pogroms, as is what's happening to the Roma, the Palestinians, etc.

It is, however, also commonly used as slang in sports, to refer to a crushing defeat of the enemy team.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Very tasteless name. It is a commentary on the lack of education in this country that word like that is apparently not familiar to the governing board which approves names. I am most familiar with the word from Leon Uris books, such as Exodus and Mila 18, but I am positive it was also used in history classes to describe mass violent attacks on Jewish communities in eastern Europe, which involved the worst kinds of violence with crowds of citizens, soldiers, or posses of local officials attacking, killing, beating, raping, and setting fires to homes to drive out all the (usually Jewish) inhabitants. Ugly.

here's a Google definition:
    po·grom
    ?p?gr?m,p??gräm/
    noun
    noun: pogrom; plural noun: pogroms

1. an organized massacre of a particular ethnic group, in particular that of Jews in Russia or eastern Europe.
    synonyms: massacre, slaughter, mass murder, annihilation, extermination, decimation, carnage, bloodbath, bloodletting, butchery, genocide, holocaust, purge, ethnic cleansing
    Kinda makes you wonder what other names people find acceptable.

Poor horse. Horrible name, horrible trainer.

2 members found this post helpful.

The registrar of the AQHA used to tell us that he had often applications on his desk that had questionable names and he had to reject them.

If this name was truly accepted by the AHA, they should request a change once they realized what happened.
    The owner should be told what it means and himself ask for a name change.

Pogrom has not originated as Czech, Slovak, or even Polish word.

Please, trust me, I know.

The word "pogrom" is a twisted noun version of a Russian verb "gromit" (it is supposed to sound soft, but, if I wrote it in Cyrillic, it won't make any sense to you).

The verb "gromit" means to destroy, to crash (something, someone).

The word "pogrom" originally marked ethnic violence against Jews in Russia and Ukraine. The word spread to Poland and the rest of Europe eventually.

For most Europeans, especially Eastern Europeans and Germans, pogrom remains specific to violence towards Jews. It has strong historic connotation.

Thus, modern pogroms against other groups are typically called "ethnic cleansing."

So, the horse's name is something like "Total Destruction."

I think, it is wildly inappropriate to name horse like that, but then again, this hits way too close to home.

PS: I just saw, you mentioned a translation Slaughter, OP. That would be fitting, too. In bigger sense, the word means total annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    The registrar of the AQHA used to tell us that he had often applications on his desk that had questionable names and he had to reject them.

If this name was truly accepted by the AHA, they should request a change once they realized what happened.
    The owner should be told what it means and himself ask for a name change.
    AHA knows full well what it means. There was some talk last year, from my understanding. I may call them.
    The Knotted Pony

put the blame on the breed registry for accepting it.

4 members found this post helpful.