The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Green card/ becoming "legal"

Any advice on helping someone out?

If the person is in the country illegally, it's an uphill battle. Contact a lawyer specializing in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Lawyer
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Yeah, need more details. It is hard enough slog the best of times.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

We would need much more information to be helpful. I see you are in Dutchess County; Ann Gifford, a lawyer in Millbrook, does immigration law.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Lawyer
    You don't have to have a lawyer. The whole system is well mapped out, if tedious and time consuming. You can save yourself a lot of money without one.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

3 members found this post helpful.

Helping them out how? Helping them figure out the process? Helping them determine if they have eligibility? Helping them find an attorney (which, frankly, I think does help tremendously)?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

marry them?

8 members found this post helpful.

Green card lottery as long as they are from an approved country for entry and they are not here illegally. That is how I got my green card. No lawyers for me.

https://www.dvlottery.state.gov

If they are illegal.... I have no idea. I think I'd be looking for a legitimate work visa prior to worrying about a green card. They can always marry an American!!
    Last edited by equisusan; Dec. 24, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

So you have three foreign born people so far who have posted that have gone through the immigration process and did it without a lawyer. Yet the natural born citizens are recommending you get a lawyer. This really betrays how ingrained "lawyer up" is in American culture.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Helping them find an attorney (which, frankly, I think does help tremendously)?
    Watch out for attorneys! If you go with one, get references and check them!

Some do not know how to navigate the immigration law, even if they claim it as expertise!

It is heartbreaking to watch people lose their case, because they trusted their representation and he/she dropped the ball. Heartbreaking!

I saw it.
    Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. - A.A.Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    You don't have to have a lawyer. The whole system is well mapped out, if tedious and time consuming. You can save yourself a lot of money without one.

As a foreign born person who has gone through the greencard process I will say you don't have to have a lawyer, and they can be quite expensive, but not having one is like shooting yourself in the foot before running the race. Sure you can still run, but why shoot yourself in the foot?

The process is a PAIN IN THE ASS!

So I say again; Lawyer!

Paula

4 members found this post helpful.

So you have three foreign born people so far who have posted that have gone through the immigration process and did it without a lawyer. Yet the natural born citizens are recommending you get a lawyer. This really betrays how ingrained "lawyer up" is in American culture.
    If the person is here illegally a lawyer might be the best option.

if the person is here on a legit visa the other options are open, without lawyer.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

As a foreign born person who has gone through the greencard process I will say you don't have to have a lawyer, and they can be quite expensive, but not having one is like shooting yourself in the foot before running the race. Sure you can still run, but why shoot yourself in the foot?

The process is a PAIN IN THE ASS!

So I say again; Lawyer!

Paula
    How are you shooting yourself in the foot? There is no handicap from not using a lawyer. They might save you some of the tediousness, but at a cost. There is nothing they will do that you can't do yourself. It's not like they have some magic bag of tricks that the average person doesn't. The rules are the rules, the process is the process, it's all spelled out, you just follow it.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Why are you arguing with me about my opinion based on my own experience?

Look, it's like this; if you were about to be audited by the IRS you can handle it by yourself. I wouldn't, but you could.

Paula

6 members found this post helpful.

1st: Work visa Dept of Labour Cert.
    2nd: Green Card
    3rd: Citizenship

Better to use a lawyer. (They know all the subtle ins and outs of the system)
    Will Take years.
    Will take $$$.

The first step is the hardest and it gets progressively easier as it goes along.
    #3 is simple to do without help.
    USCIS has become a fee supported service so there is usually a hefty payment for every step. http://www.uscis.gov It is very different now than it was 30 years ago.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    If the person is here illegally a lawyer might be the best option.

if the person is here on a legit visa the other options are open, without lawyer.
    I was technically in the US illegally when I started the process (albeit 30 odd years ago). I didn't use a lawyer. I did talk to a lawyer before it all, and she was open and honest and said you can do the whole thing yourself. Her clients were predominantly non-English speakers and uneducated (mostly Mexican) who were intimidated by the whole process. She said, "you speak English, you seem reasonably intelligent, you could pay me to do it, or you could do it yourself... it's not rocket science, just make sure to cross your "t"s and dot your "i"s",
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

I was technically in the US illegally when I started the process (albeit 30 odd years ago). I didn't use a lawyer. I did talk to a lawyer before it all, and she was open and honest and said you can do the whole thing yourself. Her clients were predominantly non-English speakers and uneducated (mostly Mexican) who were intimidated by the whole process. She said, "you speak English, you seem reasonably intelligent, you could pay me to do it, or you could do it yourself... it's not rocket science, just make sure to cross your "t"s and dot your "i"s",
    yep 30 years ago...
    These days, due to political pressure, things aren't as peachy keen anymore.

5 members found this post helpful.

Why are you arguing with me about my opinion based on my own experience?

Look, it's like this; if you were about to be audited by the IRS you can handle it by yourself. I wouldn't, but you could.

Paula
    Why would I need a lawyer if I got audited? I have nothing to hide tax wise.

But then, I also got divorced without a lawyer, represented myself, even though my ex-wife spent several grand on one.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

2 members found this post helpful.

In case you still check the thread... I would like to add that the rules change often and the applicants are not "grandfathered." You have to go with the flow. That is why I have stressed the importance of paying very close attention to the process.

Changes might seem minor, but can influence the process significantly.

We had several adjustments just in the course of four years I was in the system.

Also, any chance he/she/they could go as political refugees? I had friends from Bosnia coming that way, but, obviously, they were very legitimate and, truth to be known, would have preferred to stay put...
    Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. - A.A.Milne