The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Looking for suggestions for -20 winter boots for barn

My current really cold winter boots are still in decent shape and, hopefully, I'll get another 2 yrs out of them but I'm keeping my eyes open for replacements and would buy now if I found the right ones.

That said, I do NOT want boots that lace as I'm in and out of them at least 6+ times/day. Yes, I know they offer more support but.....

Also, the boots must come in the wide D width so I can get a 2nd pr of warm socks in them and not have them too tight that they cut off the circulation.

I cannot wear men's boots as I have a small foot so that really narrows down the range as well. I like the ones that come up over the ankle to not quite mid calf but am not opposed to slightly higher-not lower though.

My current really cold boots are from Land's End but are probably 5+ yrs old and they don't make them anymore.

Also, the last boots, middle winter weight that I have are also on their last legs. I bought them from LL Bean, again multiple yrs ago. I tried to replace them with other ones from LL Bean but I'm less than satisfied with the new ones. They are only good for slightly cold weather(no colder than the upper 30's). Funny thing is the older LL Bean boots were made in China and the newer ones were made in the USA.

Any suggestions from those in the frozen tundra?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

You can try buying Boys sizes - they tend to run wider but that leaves room for more socks.

Right now I'm using a pair of pac boots from TSC alternating with a pair of Timberlands.

Both do lace, but I work around that by lacing them up to the point where I can slip into them w/o unlacing. I then knot the laces and cut off the excess.
    I have a paranormally high arch and this solution works for me re: laces.

Both are warm enough so that when temps are not in the Minus-Fs I can wear them w/o any socks if I'm in a hurry.

As a bonus I got the 1st pair of Timberlands from a discount store (paid $18). They lasted nearly 3 years before starting to crack where the boot met the sole.
    I sent them to Timberland and got a BRAND NEW pair back at no charge!
    All I paid for was to ship the old pair to Timberland.

http://shop.timberland.com/helpdesk/...splay=policies

Note: I do not recall printing a free return label, but then again this was a couple years ago & I don't recall what I had for lunch yesterday
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I have the same high arch problem.

I think I've tried boys boots in the past too but not for winter boots. Might give that a try.

With a TSC 5 minutes away, I may look for some boots to replace the midweight LL Bean boots before they totally disintegrate.

Course right now as warm as it was today (55 when I fed) I used muck boots with thin socks. Unfortunately temp dropping and at 36 now and going lower to a freezing rain and ice storm predicted.

Mother Nature and I do not always see eye to eye unfortunately.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Truthfully? Snowmobile boots.. I have never found a warmer pair of winter boots. They are old the ones I have, but used to do 25 stalls in them in single digit temps. and not a bit of cold toes EVER!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I bought a new pair this year...Muck Arctic Sports. I've had the Brit Riders in the past, awesome boots. But many of the Muck soles are made too smooth and I got sick of having to wear cleats all the time so I wasn't on my ass on the ground. The Arctic sports have thick tread and grip really well. Not sure what they have different in material, but while the Brits were toasty as heck these Arctics are like wearing ovens on my feet. Holy hotness! If it's 20 degrees or above, I can't wear socks in them or I overheat, LOL!

Maybe try those? They're wide-ish but not wicked wide. I buy hiking socks rated to -30 and only wear one pair. I used to double up on socks because I wasn't going to buy socks that were $10-$15 a pair. I thought that was ridiculous, but then got a pair for a gift and ended up going out and buying a lot of them. Worth the cost.

Or instead of doubling up on socks try these:
    http://www.thermacell.com/heated-insoles-foot-warmers

I agree with you on the slide on only boots. No way would I want to spend more than a few seconds stepping into my boots so many time every day!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

When it's that cold here I pull out my Sorel boots.
    Put on Smart Wool socks and put those disposable hand warmer packets in my boots. You kind of have to wiggle your feet around to get the warmers comfortably under your toes.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Arctic Sport Muck boots! Best winter boots EVER. Clunky, and I cannot drive over 35mph in them due to the rigidity, lol, but man, I've worn them barefoot when I couldn't find socks, and I was fine. They are so warm, I usually don't need my Carhart overalls when I'm wearing them.

I've had mine for a few years, and wore the rubber away in the heel, haha, but other than that, I will wear them until they fall apart. Great boots. And, they come in colors!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I have an old pair of Ariats paddock boots. They're leather, insulated and waterproof. I got them a 1/2 size bigger than my usual size so I can wear a thick pair of Smart Wool socks in them. My feet were toasty warm when doing barn chores in single digit temperatures this week, and I can ride in them, too. I could even hike in them, they have good arch support and are very comfortable.

My fingers, now, that's a whole different story. Short of wearing ski mittens (NOT practical in the barn!!) I can't get them to not freeze and turn yellow (must have a bit of Reynaud's disease, I'm told).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I got a pair of insulated rubber boots from Walmart; the tag said good to -40 and so far (down to -27C) they have been fantastic. They are men's boots. For riding/snowshoeing I bought a pair of Merrets Primaloft ?? for half-price and they are amazing. But those lace up and are more "sporty", less "work".
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Folks, thanks for some good suggestions. Now to check some of them out online.

Keep them coming.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    When it's that cold here I pull out my Sorel boots.
    Put on Smart Wool socks and put those disposable hand warmer packets in my boots. You kind of have to wiggle your feet around to get the warmers comfortably under your toes.
    I love Sorels!

http://www.sorel.com/womens-glacier-boot-NL1042.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    Arctic Sport Muck boots! Best winter boots EVER. Clunky, and I cannot drive over 35mph in them due to the rigidity, lol, but man, I've worn them barefoot when I couldn't find socks, and I was fine. They are so warm, I usually don't need my Carhart overalls when I'm wearing them.

I've had mine for a few years, and wore the rubber away in the heel, haha, but other than that, I will wear them until they fall apart. Great boots. And, they come in colors!
    Oh thank goodness it isn't just me! I drove in mine the other day...it was sad, LOL! Like trying to drive in ski boots!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

One word... Baffin! They are the BEST boots ever!
    They have a boot for everytype of weather.
    http://www.baffin.com/

Here are just some of the -100 deg boots. http://www.baffin.com/category-s/12.htm

I second the Baffins. Mine slip in, are SO cushy and comfy, roomy but snug, and waterproof and warm. Also like the Sorels, but work provides me Baffins so that's what I wear. I wish we had more snow more often so I could wear them more!

I have the Muck Artics too and they're great for outside, terrible for driving (especially my little runner car with pedals the size of postage stamps)(standard transmission, naturally) I'm super short and I'm not real fond of how they fit all the time but they are warm and have good traction.

A friend just got a pair of Colombia's that she is super happy with, she has wide feet too and mentioned they fit especially well and did good in the cold during that bad cold snap a few weeks ago.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

I looked at the Baffin and the Artic Sport Mucks. The -100 Baffins may be overkill so after the holidays I'll peruse their website more but will probably settle on one or 2 pr of them.

My only problem with the Artic Sport is that they are Muck boots and I really hate the ones I have now. Unfortunately I can only get really thin socks under my current Muck boots but I think if I went up a size I may do better. I most certainly will keep the Artic Sport in mind though.

Looked at the Sorels and while they do go down to -100 they are lace ups and I hate lace ups. Will further peruse their site too after the holidays to see if they offer other than lace up boots.

We're in for a bitter cold X-mas and then a bit of milder air but the weathermen are predicting another bitter cold spell after the 'warm up'.

April can't come soon enough!
    Actually I have not yet been cold and we've being into the single digits already. I just feel like the Pillsbury dough boy or the Michelin Tire Guy all bulked up doing chores.

Cother's thanks for the suggestions and have a wonderful holiday.
    Sue

My Sorel's are lace-ups. The only time I snug them up and tie them is when I was going snowmachining or watching my kids compete in downhill ski races. Otherwise, they were tied with a square not at just the right tension for me to slip my double-wool-socked foot in and out of them easily, yet tight enough they wouldn't ever slip off.

Florida. I'm just sayin'.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I prefer my baffins over my sorrels. They have laces, but I honestly couldn't tell you when the last time I touched the laces was. Slip on and off easy. I was a sorrel fan for years, but then bought baffins and think they've held up better. Plenty of -30 + degrees to go around every year here too.