The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The meta-OT thread; or, taking the Topic out of Off Topic

I love the Off Topic forum for many reasons, one of which is that it is the only place where people of completely different faiths, political beliefs, and moral universes can come together and discuss.

One of the major things I love about it is that because it comes and goes for brief periods throughout the year, I forget what COTHers faiths, politics, and morals are.

What I am not enjoying about this marathon OT forum is that I don't get the chance to forget.

So enough already.

JMHO
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Dec. 21, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

7 members found this post helpful.

Just don't click on the threads that are going to be the offenders. That's what I do.

I find I like most people just fine that way.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

7 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I had venison bratwurst for breakfast this morning. It was rather bland so I dipped it in BBQ sauce to improve the taste. My dog wanted some but I didn't give him any because the BBQ sauce contains ingredients that are harmful to dogs and can cause serious illness or death if consumed.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

11 members found this post helpful.

Hence my penguin thread, I felt the need to lighten the mood.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I had venison bratwurst for breakfast this morning. It was rather bland so I dipped it in BBQ sauce to improve the taste. My dog wanted some but I didn't give him any because the BBQ sauce contains ingredients that are harmful to dogs and can cause serious illness or death if consumed.
    Delightfully off topic!
    A helmet saved my life.

The only problem I have with Off Topic is that not many people are posting in the actual HORSE forums anymore.

9 members found this post helpful.

People often pose the question, why not a permanent Off Topic forum? For me, this is why.

But maybe the advertising revenue from increased page views has won out.

PaintPony, I have noticed that too!
    A helmet saved my life.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    OK that "dipped in BBQ sauce to improve the taste" thing.....I don't understand. I have a bottle (everything else in my frig is homemade) for my son and Mr Stolen for that same reason. Yuck, even looking at that stuff on a plate makes me want to gag.

OK rant over.....

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    The only problem I have with Off Topic is that not many people are posting in the actual HORSE forums anymore.
    That I think is because everyone is trying to get a last word in before the powers that be close the OT forum.

I think more and more are drifting around, as the new wears off.
    You can only talk about the OT topics so long, then slowly horses do take over for most here.

I think that, with social media so active today, forums in general have less traffic than they used to have anyway.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have to go spend my afternoon raking up pine needles - first I'm going to finish my leftover tuna casserole that I'm having for lunch. Mr. PoPo loves tuna casserole. My dad thinks it is disgusting. I wonder why? Squishy noodles, melted cheese, tuna fish, onions, potato chips - it is kind of like a sandwich made into a casserole!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Pocket Pony, I am glad you posted the ingredients for your tuna casserole. I have a recipe for one that came on a can of cream of celery soup but it doesn't mention onions. I just started cooking with onions this year and find I like them in a lot of things I never would have put them in in the past. It doesn't call for cheese either but I think I may grate some and it on top before baking.

Have just one question -- my casserole dish is a Pyrex one, with a lid. Should I bake the casserole with the lid on, or off? Since it is a glass dish, should I put it in a preheated oven or let it warm up with the oven, like I do my clay baking dish?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Here, I'll post the whole recipe:

1 package egg noodles
    1/4 c chopped onion (I use yellow onions)
    2 c shredded cheddar cheese (I use extra-sharp cheddar, but not the orange kind)
    1 c frozen green peas (I hate peas so I omit this)
    2 cans tuna, drained
    2 cans (10.75 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 can (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms (I didn't even know mushrooms come in a can - I don't like mushrooms, so I omit them as well)
    1 c crushed potato chips (I like Kettle brand salt & black pepper)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (or 220 C, if you're Canadian)
    2. Cook noodles
    3. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix cooked noodles, onion, 1 c cheese, peas, tuna, soup, and mushrooms. Transfer to 9x13 baking dish (I don't grease it) and top with crushed potato chips and remaining 1 c cheese
    4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly

I don't cover my dish and I don't pre-warm it.

It is such an easy recipe and tastes yummy to me!

I love cooking with onions - I love onions! I use them in most recipes and to me they are a staple in the pantry.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

2 members found this post helpful.

Well the reason I have been here, is I usually enjoy most off topic days, or weeks as it were. I always find some great words of comfort and wisdom.
    There will always be people who enjoy the banter, I myself have been trapped into it at times.
    Most times I think people are bored and need something to do.
    I find that most of the heated topics are the same people battling it out time and time again. When really what difference what another thinks or believes or does. Do your own thing, Believe what you believe. It is not worth the stress. There are many constructive helpful threads.
    I for one would not be on near as much if it was not for this dreadful ice weather we have been sunk in for the last 48 hours.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

PoPo:
    A friend gave me a recipe for tuna casserole that uses RED WINE! - it turns the mixture the ugliest purply color but doesn't end up looking nasty.
    And it is D-lish : 9

stolen virtue:
    I had to reread your post to figure out you weren't trying to poison Mr sv & DS with BBQ sauce
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I also hate peas. Barf

I also hate when I go to a restaurant and get a pasta dish, say bowtie, and there are a couple random other types of pasta in it. Like rotini or penne. I won't eat them. Even if I normally eat them. They don't belong, therefore I shun them.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    I have to go spend my afternoon raking up pine needles - first I'm going to finish my leftover tuna casserole that I'm having for lunch. Mr. PoPo loves tuna casserole. My dad thinks it is disgusting. I wonder why? Squishy noodles, melted cheese, tuna fish, onions, potato chips - it is kind of like a sandwich made into a casserole!

I want the recipe, haha! Anything with potato chips sounds intriguing.

Add:
    Oops....and there it is! Spoke too soon. Thanks!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks, Pocket Pony! I'd decided to use my metal cake pan instead of my Pyrex dish.

2DogsFarm -- white wine goes with fish usually and probably wouldn't turn the casserole purple!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post

I also hate when I go to a restaurant and get a pasta dish, say bowtie, and there are a couple random other types of pasta in it. Like rotini or penne. I won't eat them. Even if I normally eat them. They don't belong, therefore I shun them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I also hate peas. Barf

Now that is a poster child for a first world problem.

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    2DogsFarm -- white wine goes with fish usually and probably wouldn't turn the casserole purple!
    I know, but the purple doesn't stay in the finished dish - it just provides a moment of when you add the wine.

TheJenners:
    I totally agree!
    Like getting a curly fry in your regulars or a sweet potato fry in with the white ones.
    Makes me wonder what's going on in that kitchen.
    And having worked in a hotel w/access to the kitchen, potential situation.

Believe me, people, sometimes it's better not to know!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009