The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    CindyCRNA, will CRNA's have to be doctorate level in all states, or is that just Kansas? I know there was recently a push in NY for all RN's to have a BSN. A lot of the nursing students I see have grown concerned about having to extend their education in order to be employable, as it was also being discussed in MD. I don't think NY was successful in that push, but I am curious as to your thoughts on the current thinking about that issue.

grayarabpony, I am most definitely not worth the effort you are putting in. Take a nap!
    I'm almost positive it is a nationwide thing that all programs will be doctorate but I'm seeing the deadline for all schools to comply is 2025. We have 2 schools here and their graduating class of 2015 will be doctorate.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    In some places they get nowhere near the same respect.
    For a family practice, I would much prefer a DO.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    For a family practice, I would much prefer a DO.
    I wasn't stating that *I* respect DOs less than MDs (heck, I work in a city that graduates loads of DOs). Just that in many places they do get less respect.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    DOs get as many years of education as a MD. DH was in residency with a DO.

http://www.osteopathic.org/OSTEOPATH...s/default.aspx
    Yes, I know. My meaning in my post was that the typical DO curriculum is identical to that of MD students, but that they still do not get the acknowledgement of the medical community, by and large.

I know a 3rd year DO student who has Hashimoto's like me, and she wants to become an endocrinologist. However, she knows her likelihood of getting an endocrinology fellowship after a basic 4 year IM residency is extremely unlikely.

Why? Because it is still a 'Good old boys/MDs' club.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    Personally speaking and from someone who works in healthcare on the administrative side, with that 'big' education sadly comes big attitude, arrogance, and god-complex.

As a patient, a 'big' MD's know-it-all demeanor left my autoimmune disease undiagnosed for 3 years. A DO (many still considered the ugly stepchildren by their MD peers) diagnosed me, and I'm being treated now by a PA.

MDs are not the end-all, be-all.

Yes, I know. My meaning in my post was that the typical DO curriculum is identical to that of MD students, but that they still do not get the acknowledgement of the medical community, by and large.

I know a 3rd year DO student who has Hashimoto's like me, and she wants to become an endocrinologist. However, she knows her likelihood of getting an endocrinology fellowship after a basic 4 year IM residency is extremely unlikely.

If the curriculum is actually "identical to that of MD students"' then why were you referring to "big" education, as though it's a bad thing?

If the curriculum is actually "identical to that of MD students"' then why were you referring to "big" education, as though it's a bad thing?
    Because I was responding to spook1, who identified an MDs education as 'big.'

I think something got lost in translation, GAP. Are you taking issue with me saying that I have found DOs to be less arrogant than MDs overall, but just as competent?
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I simply asked you a question, although I'm not sure I think MDs are more arrogant overall. I might ask DH what he thinks.
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Dec. 23, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

I simply asked you a question, although no, I'm not sure I think MDs are more arrogant overall, in spite of your personal experience.
    Well, we'll have to let this one rest, then.

In reality, spaces in residency and internships are not just about the good old boys/MD club. About half of med students are now women, and generally the best academic applicants are accepted into medical school.
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: meant to say best, not basic

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Um, no. NP's DO NOT NEED TO BE UNDER SUPERVISION!!!!!
    It depends on your state. In most states they at least need a collaborative practice agreement with a physician. Virginia just removed the on-site supervision requirement a couple of years ago. Texas this year removed a 10% on site supervision requirement. These issues typically cause huge turf wars with the medical associations.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Partly. It's much easier to be accepted to DO school than MD.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

My wife works in a practice that trains Family Practice Residents. About 1/4-1/3 of each class is D.O. I got there for my medical needs. I've been seen by both. I note no difference in quality of care.

There are some differences in training, but a D.O. does a SOAP just like an M.D. Well done, there's no difference.

Anybody who thinks medicine is still an "old boys club" should peruse graduation pictures over the last 15 years or so. There are still some older M.D.s that haven't gotten all the memos, yet, but fewer every year.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão