The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by azeventer View Post
    This. I am a Physician Assistant, have been for 24 years. In addition to being a serious moral and ethical violation, it also violates their license and is illegal. This would be the case even if they HAD a PhD in heathcare, or anything else. Report them to the state medical board, they will take care of it. This really makes me angry...gives all of us in the profession a bad name.
    I love PA's! I see a PA. I live in KC and many PA's here work under a physician, not because they have to but they greatly extend a physician. PA's, like my profession, can, depending on the state, work without physician supervision. I think that is where some of you are getting hung up. It varies state to state.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    A friend's SIL is a pharmacist - so possesses an Rph - he refers to himself as "Dr."
    Another candidate for ego removal.
    He doesn't "possess" an RPh, he "possesses" a PharmD, which is a doctorate degree. RPh is the qualification a pharmacist gets upon passing the licensing exam, not the degree they earned.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
    PA's, like my profession, can, depending on the state, work without physician supervision. I think that is where some of you are getting hung up. It varies state to state.
    Can they? According to the AAPA they need to be supervised (although supervision does not need to mean being physically at the same place as the collaborating physician):

http://www.aapa.org/uploadedFiles/co...rStateRegs.pdf

The definition of supervision should convey the idea that direction of the medical practice of the physician assistant is provided and assured by supervising physicians, but that this does not necessarily require the physical presence of a supervising physician at the place where services are rendered. It is imperative, however, that the PA and a supervising physician are or can be in contact with each other by telecommunication.
    Are there states where a PA can just open a practice with complete autonomy?
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Well you're wrong, state laws regarding supervision of NPs are different in Maryland and NC.

I believe there is a special provision for NPs to practice alone in high need rural areas in NC.
    I'll alert the authorities in Durham and Raleigh, then.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I'll alert the authorities in Durham and Raleigh, then.
    I'm sorry you can't comprehend that the laws in the 2 states are different. I guess I should have used an obnoxious red font and a zillion exclamation points.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry you can't comprehend that the laws in the 2 states are different. I guess I should have used an obnoxious red font and a zillion exclamation points.
    Wow. I think I already explained that I believe NC and MD are similar in their laws regarding NP's, but if you didn't understand it the first time, I will try again:

I am from NC and now live in MD. I have several colleagues in BOTH states that are NP's and practice solo. IF what you are saying is correct, then I have questions for my colleagues.

You may need to see someone about that reindeer up your derrière!
    W. C. Fields

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
    I'm a CRNA and our discipline is going to a mandatory doctorate program starting in 2015. I would never address myself as Dr Cindy in a hospital setting. On my name tag, it would be Cindy C. CRNA, PhD. In a university setting, IF, I were a professor, then yes, Doctor would be appropriate.
    Very good answer.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I think I already explained that I believe NC and MD are similar in their laws regarding NP's, but if you didn't understand it the first time, I will try again:

I am from NC and now live in MD. I have several colleagues in BOTH states that are NP's and practice solo. IF what you are saying is correct, then I have questions for my colleagues.

You may need to see someone about that reindeer up your derrière!
    YOU ARE INCORRECT!!!! The laws are not the same.

I don't really want to waste the rest of my night arguing with you. You're not worth the effort.

CindyCRNA, will CRNA's have to be doctorate level in all states, or is that just Kansas? I know there was recently a push in NY for all RN's to have a BSN. A lot of the nursing students I see have grown concerned about having to extend their education in order to be employable, as it was also being discussed in MD. I don't think NY was successful in that push, but I am curious as to your thoughts on the current thinking about that issue.

grayarabpony, I am most definitely not worth the effort you are putting in. Take a nap!
    Last edited by Eye in the Sky; Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: had to chat with my "friend".
    W. C. Fields

YOU ARE INCORRECT!!!! The laws are not the same.

I don't really want to waste the rest of my night arguing with you. You're not worth the effort.
    Is there a reason why you are so argumentative GAP? It seems every thread I open you are arguing with someone. Just walk away, and enjoy the season
    Nothing is worth getting ones blood pressure up! Be happy!
    Who cares who is right or wrong.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Is there a reason why you are so argumentative GAP? It seems every thread I open you are arguing with someone. Just walk away, and enjoy the season
    Nothing is worth getting ones blood pressure up! Be happy!
    Who cares who is right or wrong.
    OMG you are so tiresome.

OMG you are so tiresome.
    Well I think if you go back and read your posts you might wonder why you are so angry. I am sorry things are so unhappy for you, I hope the season makes you feel better, God Bless.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm not "so angry".

I'll grant you that I do find nutjobs to be annoying. Good night.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Can they? According to the AAPA they need to be supervised (although supervision does not need to mean being physically at the same place as the collaborating physician):

PA's cannot legally open a completely autonomous practice in any state. As above, though, the nature of the supervision varies from practice to practice, hospital to hospital, state to state. My hospital requires notes/orders to be reviewed/cosigned by my attending physician within 48 hours. Other states may require checking at more frequent intervals, less frequent intervals, allow by phone.. (for example for a PA manning a very remote or rural clinic where there may not be a physician present all the time due to the nature of such a practice). But supervision is required. PA's have never sought an ability to practice independently...the whole profession was founded on the concept of assisting/extending a physicians practice.. Not that PA's don't have a lot of autonomy and independent judgement within their individual practice setting...the whole point is that we can take over a lot of the MDs more routine tasks/patients and take care of them so that he/she doesn't have too...giving them more time to see the more complicated patients. My docs and myself have worked together a long time, we know each other well, how we practice, I know their preferences, they trust my judgement. They know that I will come to them with anything unusual that I cannot handle. They don't follow me around all day, they don't second guess all of my decisions. But they still are my supervisors, and are accountable for me.
    I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert!
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post

PA's cannot legally open a completely autonomous practice in any state. As above, though, the nature of the supervision varies from practice to practice, hospital to hospital, state to state. My hospital requires notes/orders to be reviewed/cosigned by my attending physician within 48 hours. Other states may require checking at more frequent intervals, less frequent intervals, allow by phone.. (for example for a PA manning a very remote or rural clinic where there may not be a physician present all the time due to the nature of such a practice). But supervision is required. PA's have never sought an ability to practice independently...the whole profession was founded on the concept of assisting/extending a physicians practice.. Not that PA's don't have a lot of autonomy and independent judgement within their individual practice setting...the whole point is that we can take over a lot of the MDs more routine tasks/patients and take care of them so that he/she doesn't have too...giving them more time to see the more complicated patients. My docs and myself have worked together a long time, we know each other well, how we practice, I know their preferences, they trust my judgement. They know that I will come to them with anything unusual that I cannot handle. They don't follow me around all day, they don't second guess all of my decisions. But they still are my supervisors, and are accountable for me.

Sorry....double post! I would get rid of one, but don't know how... :-/

I have been told that P. A.s are now doing more surgeries these days..is that true? You don't have be a DR or surgeon? I was told that at a Ortho office the P.A.s do most all hip and knee replacements. I argued about that with this person an since we are on this topic I thought I'd ask.
    T.I.A

Surgical PAs can do minor surgeries, and assist in major ones. They would assist in hip and knee replacements but not perform them by themselves.

http://www.aaspa.com/page.asp?tid=95...al-PA&navid=18

CindyCRNA, will CRNA's have to be doctorate level in all states, or is that just Kansas?
    I think she means that all new graduates have to be doctorate, as I am a pharmacist and that's how it went with the Pharm.D being mandatory. BTW, those who do not have a Pharm.D have a Bachelor's, not a Master's degree.

Surgical PAs can do minor surgeries, and assist in major ones. They would assist in hip and knee replacements but not perform them by themselves.

http://www.aaspa.com/page.asp?tid=95...al-PA&navid=18
    Haha, that reads exactly like a "what does a resident on surgical rotation do?"
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia