The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why am I not sore?

This is driving me nuts.

I've been trying to be good about going to the gym, or sneaking in an at home workout 4-5 times a week. It helps my brain, and I've started feeling a lot better, energy wise. On leg, back, shoulder, and arm day I'm so beyond sore. I always struggle with my last few reps, and I can feel it working! I'm not as bad the first day, but the second my muscles are usually screaming. I enjoy it, because I know that it means my workouts are working!

However, on ab/chest day I can "feel the burn" while I'm working out, but absolutely NOTHING the next day. Even when I add weight. I pay really close attention to form, and have been over everything with a personal trainer, so I know that I'm doing everything correctly!

I use the Nike Training Club app and it's seriously effective. It has 15 minute workouts that target different areas, and it's mostly based off time, not reps. When I don't have a lot of time, it's a blessing!

So, why am I not sore? I KNOW that my abs are nowhere near in the shape that they used to be, and I need my core to be much, much stronger before I start asking my mare for more collected work. What gives?!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Especially when you start new exercises, it is best to go 48 hours between go rounds, because that is how long it takes for the muscle fibers to recover from the little tears that will make them stronger as they get conditioned to the new stress.

I would change to every two days of any one weight loading exercises where you are starting or moving up a level, cardio daily is ok.

1 members found this post helpful.

I do pay attention to switching around muscle groups... so as an example, Monday is legs, Tuesday is abs and chest, Wednesday is a rest/light cardio day, Thursday is legs and arms, Friday is abs and chest, Saturday is rest, and Sunday is runday (because it ryhmes and I get a kick out of that).
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

You might inadvertently be "cheating" and using other muscles to help. A lot of people will use their back or chest or even legs to help with sit-ups, for example, without realizing it.

I hate you Superminion.

Just kidding :-) It may be something in how your body repairs itself that is different. Excersize is about tearing down muscle and then rebuilding it (which is why you get puffed up the day after weight lifting - your body sends all kinds of fluids to the area to repair the damage). You may be either not tearing your muscles down enough, or repairing very quickly.

Are you young, by any chance? My soreness after exercising didn't start until I turned 30. And now if I look at weights I get sore lol

If you're sore after working out you're moving forward too quickly. It is NOT true that "no pain no gain". Pain means you did too much, too fast. And your muscles shouldn't be "screaming" at you during the workout- you should work out to fatigue level only, and then stop.
    Perhaps you should consult a trainer about how to do it properly and safely.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    You might inadvertently be "cheating" and using other muscles to help. A lot of people will use their back or chest or even legs to help with sit-ups, for example, without realizing it.
    This.Try some stuff with free weights.They don't allow you to compensate like many of the machines do.
    Last edited by sketcher; Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

You probably have more muscle naturally around your core and chest, especially as a horsewoman. I know that I hardly ever get sore abs but if I move up to a new weight for my arms, I'm usually sore the first time or two.

your abs are probably still recovering from the pregnancy, is my guess, and were probably pretty strong going into it since you're a rider. If muscle soreness is from muscle tearing, I'm thinking that yours were torn all asunder just two months ago.
    Last edited by cowboymom; Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

You may not be doing them correctly but also, according to my old rowing coach (rowing is very ab intensive), abs recover faster than many other muscle groups. No idea if he is correct but he usually was about that stuff :-) I know I rarely have sore abs after an intense ab workout in the way I will have sore quads after an intense quad workout- so based on my experience, my old coach is correct.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Thank you!

I don't really use the machines. I'm not comfortable with them, and rarely get to the gym at the same time as the personal trainers. I do one session a month with him (comes with my membership), and that's usually when I lift, since I need a spotter. I'll ask him to watch my ab workout, to see if I'm compensating with anything else...I probably am.

I'm a big fan of slow and steady. It hurts worse that way. My arms and legs HATE me, usually by day 2.

OneGrayPony... don't hate!! I'm 24, so maybe you're right.

OneGrayPony... don't hate!! I'm 24, so maybe you're right.
    LOL - enjoy it while you can!! And keep exercising because otherwise when you approach my age...well, soreness happens when you sneeze too hard :-)

You most likely are very strong in your core. Did your abs stretch or did they separate?

I have no idea. How would I tell?

They likely would have told you after you have birth. The midwife was delighted to share with me how mine separated by digging her fist between the muscles. She thought it was funny. Lol