Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Target Data Breach and Debit Card Question

I shopped at Target twice during the period where credit and debit card information was stolen and used my debit card both times. I contacted my bank today and canceled my debit card.

I know that you have some protection typically ($50?) if credit cards are used fraudulently but what happens with debit cards? Since that money comes directly from my checking account, could I have that account completely wiped out without any recourse?

Next time I go to my local branch I will ask their specific policy but was curious.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

I don't use cards if I don't have to, period.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

My debit card has a $50 limit as long as I call within 24 of discovering fraudulent activity. I think for debit cards it varies between card issuers.
    My credit union has a really good fraud screening service they use. A few years ago I had a 75 cent and a 50 cent and then a $3.50 charge all within a short time. None were mine and within hours of the charges the credit union was calling me to verify if they were my charges.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    I don't use cards if I don't have to, period.
    Helpful.

OP, here's the legal language on loss limits:
    http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...nd-debit-cards

7 members found this post helpful.

Your question got me worried, as I also shopped at target with my debit card during that time frame. I just called my bank to see if I needed a new card, and somehow they were able to tell that my account was not one of the ones that was compromised. They also told me that I was 100% not responsible for fraudulent charges, even on the debit card. They did tell me to keep monitoring my accounts just in case. I would highly suggest you call the fraud department at your bank and talk to them!

A couple of years ago my debit card number was stolen. My bank called me on a weekend because there was questionable activity totaling about $1,100. They reimbursed that money to my account within a couple of days pending investigation. I had to file an police report. Sixty days later I received a letter stating that the investigation was complete and that the money would stay in my account. If they had determined that I had actually made those charges they would have taken the money back.

Great information - thanks!
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

I had a debit card used years ago, and the bank caught the activity right away (before I knew it was missing) and I didn't lose any money (they replaced every cent I'd lost, a few hundred dollars).

Thanks for reminding me to check my account
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

If you can look at all activity in the past month/five weeks and verify that there are no suspicious charges, my understanding is that it's enough at this point to change your PIN. That will prevent fradulent debit purchases and/or cleaning out your account as a result of the Target breach.

I think that this time of year the safest thing is to use cash, if it's at all possible. This is the season when people are using credit and debit cards more than ususal, and are so busy that bank statements are not checked or just given a cursory glance. It's the perfect environment for this kind of theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

I too had a debit card hacked a few years ago and used and the bank replaced every last penny; the last time they actually shut it down when the person that scimmed it tried to break the code and failed on the 3rd try. I had no idea until I went to use it and it no longer worked and had to call the bank. When I asked, they said it's becoming very common and they just issue a new card and reimburse the client after the correct claim forms are all completed. Sadly though, this is also why we see increased bank fees.......it's a vicious circle.

I am always surprised though, when I do come to the States, how many places do not use the chip cards (debit or credit cards). I've had more issues using my cards this way than where chip cards are required. Any ideas why chip cards aren't used in most places?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    I too had a debit card hacked a few years ago and used and the bank replaced every last penny; the last time they actually shut it down when the person that scimmed it tried to break the code and failed on the 3rd try. I had no idea until I went to use it and it no longer worked and had to call the bank. When I asked, they said it's becoming very common and they just issue a new card and reimburse the client after the correct claim forms are all completed. Sadly though, this is also why we see increased bank fees.......it's a vicious circle.

I am always surprised though, when I do come to the States, how many places do not use the chip cards (debit or credit cards). I've had more issues using my cards this way than where chip cards are required. Any ideas why chip cards aren't used in most places?
    I could be wrong, because it's been a while since I read the article but, it was my understanding that chip cards can be scanned anywhere. Therefore, if you have one, it's best to carry it in a special metal wallet that prevents illegal scanners from picking up the information. I know, the article I read was enough for me to go buy one of those wallets immediately and I don't even know for sure that my cards have that chip technology.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Hmmmmm interesting. I haven't heard that and here all they give are chip cards and I've only heard of the usual swimming problems! I guess no matter what criminals will always try to be a step ahead. I just figured it harder to steal if you have to put in a PIN number!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Hmmmmm interesting. I haven't heard that and here all they give are chip cards and I've only heard of the usual swimming problems! I guess no matter what criminals will always try to be a step ahead. I just figured it harder to steal if you have to put in a PIN number!
    You haven't heard of it because she's wrong. They're not RFID chips.

The reason we don't have chip and pin cards is that it would be expensive for. Every merchant in the country to upgrade to chip and pin readers. It's a completely different system.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    You haven't heard of it because she's wrong. They're not RFID chips.

The reason we don't have chip and pin cards is that it would be expensive for. Every merchant in the country to upgrade to chip and pin readers. It's a completely different system.
    Thank you for the correction. Obviously, I had never heard of chip and pin cards and I'm always glad to be educated.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

my understanding is that it's enough at this point to change your PIN.
    The only thing about changing your PIN that won't help you...online purchasing. When you order something online, and you use your debit card number for payment, it never asks you for your PIN. So in that case, changing your PIN wouldn't do you a damn bit of good, because you don't need it to use the card number anyhow.

I used my debit card at Target and like a lot of others was very concerned as I too have been (like others) a victim of debit card fraud. I called Citibank and they cancelled my current card and sent me a new one overnight to my office.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

Quote Originally Posted by AlterSchmalter2 View Post
    The only thing about changing your PIN that won't help you...online purchasing. When you order something online, and you use your debit card number for payment, it never asks you for your PIN. So in that case, changing your PIN wouldn't do you a damn bit of good, because you don't need it to use the card number anyhow.
    I agree, but that's always been, and always will be, a hazard of online purchasing. My comment pertains to the Target breach. Or maybe I'm missing something?
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I agree, but that's always been, and always will be, a hazard of online purchasing. My comment pertains to the Target breach. Or maybe I'm missing something?
    With the breech at Target they have all the info stored on the mag stripe of the cards. Everything needed to shop online. The numbers that were stolen, about 40,000,000 of them, will be sold on the black market. Most CC thieves don't use a card writer/embossing machine to make new physical cards, they use the number and such to order stuff online. It's much easier and cheaper than printing new cards.

Then it sounds like my best bet will be to cancel the card and get a new one. Thanks for the information.