The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default Duck Dynasty Star Suspended

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson has been suspended by the network for anti-gay statements made in the latest issue of GQ magazine.

In the GQ article, Robertson responded to the question: “What, in your mind, is sinful?”
    Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.
    Later in the article, Robertson continued:
    It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.
    A&E Responded with this
    “We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”
    I know this isn't terribly surprising considering the family's heavy emphasis on religion. I have to say that I am disappointed though and any inclination I had to watch the show is gone. Of course he had every right to say what he did, but A&E also had every right to suspend him.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

10 members found this post helpful.

I've never watched DD as it's never appealed to me, but a lot of folks do, I wonder how the fans will take it?
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I love the show and Phil's comments don't surprise me. Phil seems to be a man who speaks his mind. His attitude/candor is what helped make DD so popular. A & E was wrong in my opinion. This is the same network that tried to get the Robertsons to fight, curse, etc which they refused to do. Stick to your guns DD. If someone is offended, they don't have to watch. Shame on A & E for caving to the media. We are all entitled to our opinions. If they offend you, don't listen and avoid the situation.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

49 members found this post helpful.

He is entitled to his own opinions, I do NOT agree with this suspension. He is stating what he thinks, as he has every right to do.

People are way too sensitive to this, the backlash is out of proportion.

Gay rights is not going to crumble if one person on a TV show doesn't agree. Seriously.

55 members found this post helpful.

Phil, didn't want the show in the first place and his son had a hard sell to get him on board. I think he got exactly what he wanted, to be left alone. Don't ask people, if you don't want to hear what they say. I find GQ interviewing Phil Robertson an extremely amusing and ironic idea.

23 members found this post helpful.

I agree. I am not religious but I am Pro Homosexual .

I , however, feel this man has the right to his religious belief, the right to express his belief. As much as it offends me, it is still a freedom this man has

He is not forbidding someone their life, their right to earn a living, to own a home where they want, etc.

It was simply words.

A&E is wrong. Extending this policy, I assume they will not have certain politicians on the air. They will not air broadcast or report on religious fundamentalists who espouse the same beliefs.

I assume all their workers / employees have a slice of tape over their mouths in fear of saying something that will offend.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

34 members found this post helpful.

Hey Hasty, Everyone's trying to cash in on DD dontcha know. I have to go buy a copy of GQ now. I can't get A & E on my tv so I just buy the dvds. Shame on A&E! Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth (and pulling its teeth...) Don't like it/don't watch it.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes, A&E had every right to suspend Phil because it's their money paying for the show. But they were stupid and wrong to do it.

I'll bet that close to 100% of the people who are so outraged over Phil's comments don't even watch the show. And, I'll bet that nearly 100% of the people who watch the show already knew/expected that those were Phil's views, given the family's strong religious beliefs, and aren't bothered by it, either because they agree or they think the man is entitled to his own opinion.

17 members found this post helpful.

He is entitled to his own opinion. He is not, however, entitled to protection from the consequences of expressing said opinion. That's not how the First Amendment works, and for all of those who think it is, I think it's time to go back to the fifth grade.

I've never watched Duck Dynasty, but a lot of my friends love it.

My thing is, for those that think that he should have been held immune from any backlash - what if he had gone on a racist rant? Would you be defending him then? It's no different, imo. Everyone has a right to their opinion and they have the right to express that opinion, but that doesn't mean that they are immune from any consequences.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

57 members found this post helpful.

If you're a public figure, you say something that's ignorant and bigoted, you suffer the consequences. That's how it works.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

54 members found this post helpful.

I think the family should quit.
    A&E knows full well what their values and views are.
    If A&E changes it's stance the statement becomes that revenues are more important than what they say they support.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure there are plenty of other networks that would love to have the income generated by duck dynasty.I hope they bag a&e and move on elsewhere

16 members found this post helpful.

This man's statement did not "hate bash" gay people. He just stated his reason against homosexuality in response to a question asked. If GQ asked someone (notable person) who is gay rights why they were pro homosexual that person would be just as quoted as Phil but the spin would be positive! Come on folks this is the US of A. Last I heard freedom of speech was for ALL citizens.

29 members found this post helpful.

Don't watch 'reality' TV...heck I don't even watch the news...

I read a quote of what he said (so 3rd hand)
    And for the life of me, I can't find it offensive. So he isn't pro gay. But it didn't come across as hateful, rather as 'ain't my business to judge'

Maybe the rates were dropping and they needed a bit of scandal?
    With all that duck crap everywhere, I could imagine it's overload and the beginning of the end....

I wish A&E would go back and put some more A into their programming...and axe some of the 'E' part...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

20 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    Come on folks this is the US of A. Last I heard freedom of speech was for ALL citizens.
    Go up and review SaturdayNightLive's post. That's not how the First Amendment works. The First Amendment protects you from censorship from the government. It does NOT protect you from a private company. Just like COTH can ban/edit you for whatever reason it pleases, so can A&E. It's a private company and users/posters/TV stars/employees are essentially guests.

40 members found this post helpful.

My son and I love the show, LOVE it! What Phil said doesn't surprise me, not in the least. I do have to wonder if he was set up, though. Come on, anyone who's watched the show or seen any interviews with him knows that a) he tells it like he sees it and b) he is Christian. What on earth did people expect him to say?

IMHO, A&E is going to suffer the backlash, not the Robertsons and not the show.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

16 members found this post helpful.

Uh, as far as I know, there are Christians who aren't bigoted a-holes. So I'm not sure it's fair to say "Well, what did you expect? He's a Christian!"
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

43 members found this post helpful.

I would be surprised if there wasn't some wording in his contract with A&E that he violated with his statements. If that is the case, they are within their rights. A contract stating you will or won't do something is you giving up your right in specific cases.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Uh, as far as I know, there are Christians who aren't bigoted a-holes. So I'm not sure it's fair to say "Well, what did you expect? He's a Christian!"
    This. And he basically said "gays are going to hell".

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    This man's statement did not "hate bash" gay people. He just stated his reason against homosexuality in response to a question asked. If GQ asked someone (notable person) who is gay rights why they were pro homosexual that person would be just as quoted as Phil but the spin would be positive! Come on folks this is the US of A. Last I heard freedom of speech was for ALL citizens.
    ^^ This!!!

He went on to say this, and since the media only wants to push their agenda they are leaving it out of a lot of their articles.

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior,” he said in a statement sent to FOX411.

“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...homosexuality/

I watch Duck Dynasty, I'm happy there is a Christian show on TV. I'm not anti anything and I believe whatever you want to do in the privacy of your home is your business, not mine. Last week we were griping about how Rodeo Girls is pushing the wrong image, What about all the other shows that push drinking, sleeping around, drugs, crime, and many shows push homosexuality.

Freedom of speech apparently is only applied when it's what we want to hear...

30 members found this post helpful.