The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If the traffic light isn't working, what do you do in YOUR state?

Here in Ky, as far as I can tell, a broken traffic light (power off, no lights of any kind) doesn't exist. It doesn't seem to be addressed by the driver's handbook.

Where I learned to drive, a broken traffic light turned into a four way stop. They had some sort of battery back up on a lot of the things that turned them into flashing lights, but if it was hanging there not working (not covered with a sack or tied up) it meant stop.

Sure makes a melee on the roads when some people stop, some slow down, and some blow right on through.

So what's it like where you live?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 way stop sign.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought it was a federal law that it turned into a 4-way stop sign?

It's still chaos anywhere it happens near me, though, and I never trust the other cars to stop in such a scenario.

It's supposed to be treated like a 4-way stop, but people don't seem to follow that rule. I've seen them drive through like it's a green light even with a cop directing traffic.

4 way stop.
    But what is scary that I see, is how many people have no clue how a 4 way stop works. Even at an intersection that is always a 4 way stop!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

4 way stop. First person at the intersection goes first, after a full stop, if people are there at the same time and/or there are several cars waiting, you take turns clockwise, with each allowing the person to their right to go first.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    4 way stop. First person at the intersection goes first, after a full stop, if people are there at the same time and/or there are several cars waiting, you take turns clockwise, with each allowing the person to their right to go first.
    Yup, but I swear I have seen women sit there biting there nails, waving others on, or worse yet starting to go and then slamming on the brakes!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    4 way stop.
    But what is scary that I see, is how many people have no clue how a 4 way stop works. Even at an intersection that is always a 4 way stop!
    I remember a four lane intersection that everybody played nice at. You just learned to go two by two, then the left turners went together, then the cross street, repeat. But we'd all had to learn this by driving through it and watching it - it was just the way things worked in that town at that intersection. But yes, there are a lot of people that just figure that they stop and then go, not that anyone could possibly have a "turn" to go.

I blame it on no driver's ed in the schools anymore.
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep, everyone in my town waves each other through. It's insane. I am obviously there 2nd and the other person *should* go first, but instead they wave me through. I don't get it. Just follow the rules.

4-way stop. That is to mean a real 4-way stop. Not the "I think I'm speshul so I'm going to get on the rear of the car that is in front of me and go through the intersection without stopping" 4-way stop.

One of these days, just before I'm old enough to have to surrender my license, I'm going to find myself a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix and I'm going to take some of these people out. I don't want to kill them but I want to make them regret being jerks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    4-way stop. That is to mean a real 4-way stop. Not the "I think I'm speshul so I'm going to get on the rear of the car that is in front of me and go through the intersection without stopping" 4-way stop.

One of these days, just before I'm old enough to have to surrender my license, I'm going to find myself a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix and I'm going to take some of these people out. I don't want to kill them but I want to make them regret being jerks.
    Last night on the way to the barn I was blowing the horn a a jerk of a driver. T intersection, 3 way stop. I pull up and stop. The driver coming from my right just blows through the stop, never slows down, nothing.

I have a 4 way stop near me that drivers do that all the time. DH figures they think they are speshul and don't have to stop since everybody else is stopping so it will be clear for them. I guess that only works until there are two speshul people coming from 90 degrees to each other. Can't wait for that Karma.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Slam on the gas and go through it as fast as you can!!!!

I thought it was common knowledge that if a signal is not functioning it is to be treated as a 4-way stop. Makes for an interesting time when one of the intersections near my house that goes out often is 5 lanes on either side (2 left turn lanes, 1 rt turn lane, 2 regular lanes) in all 4 directions......
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

maryland: four way stop. for multi lane roads, we all sort of side-eye each other and go through cautiously; often letting several sets of cars though at once, then stopping and letting several sets of cars go the other way. as long as folks have a good heads up that the light's out, this seems to work pretty well. if it's just one random light, and there's not much traffic, i think people just don't realize they're out and tend to blow though them (no doubt saying, "oh crap" as they get to the other side).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

In Maryland and DC it is a four way stop (I thought this was the rule everywhere- it certainly was in Connecticut where I took the driver's test). Despite the fact that the traffic reporters regularly re-state this rule every time they mention a traffic light that is out, there are still quite a lot of asshats that think they are special and don't have to follow the rules and blow through out of turn.
    I agree with you glitterless- it is not helpful if you waive me through when it is your turn. It is much better and more efficient when everyone just does what they are supposed to- letting someone else go when it is your turn causes doubt and hesitancy and usually just makes the whole thing take longer.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
    Yep, everyone in my town waves each other through. It's insane. I am obviously there 2nd and the other person *should* go first, but instead they wave me through. I don't get it. Just follow the rules.
    THIS drives me nuts. Or any situation where people break driving rules/expectations. I understand they are trying to be nice, but it will only cause more accidents and problems. The other day I was at a solid green light, about to make a left turn, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. Suddenly one of the oncoming cars came to a halt and the lady is waving for me to make my turn. REALLY?

I always thought it meant 4-way stop everywhere.

I think some of the people that zoom thru are simply caught off guard that there is not a light there to tell them they are at the intersection.
    I know when I have been driving in the dark with no lights working anywhere, usually in a storm, I am concentrating enough that "oops, that was the intersection" can happen. Clearly that does not apply when there are loads of people actually stopping and waiting all around.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    . . .
    I think some of the people that zoom thru are simply caught off guard that there is not a light there to tell them they are at the intersection.
    . . . Clearly that does not apply when there are loads of people actually stopping and waiting all around.
    Well, today's example was on the main street, in the broad daylight, with the electric company truck working away with its overhead flashing lights on, where there has been a light ever since I've lived there, so it isn't as though it's new, or snuck up on anybody, and I was the only idiot that came to a full stop. Lots of folks slowed down, and a few went through without slowing one iota.

Seen this here oh, a couple of times. The best one was when someone placed stop signs on a folding street sign, out in the intersection, and people completely disregarded them, so obviously that means that a stop light that doesn't work makes a stop sign invisible too.

I guess I'm glad that it happens elsewhere - or am I?
    Incredible Invisible

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Maryland: four way stop. I lived in Baltimore City during Hurricane Sandy and the traffic lights at several MAJOR intersections- the kind which could be really scary even when the lights were working- were off for several days. I was amazed at how respectful everyone was of the four-way stop rule. People did not understand that in the smaller town in which I grew up.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Here in Maryland it is usually treated as a 4 way stop. Sometimes the lights will be red and flashing. If that does not happen most drivers still stop look and go. That is what I do. I can't imagine racing through with the chance someone might just crash into you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    4 way stop.

People here seem to think that as soon as they get to the stop sign and stop-ish, it's their turn to go. Even if three other people stopped legally before them. Or my other favorite: "Buy one get one free" where the car behind the car that just went goes too without even bothering to pause. Sometimes people think that if they have been at the intersection longer than you (they were four cars behind, your line is shorter) that they get to go first because who cares who got to the stop sign and did a proper stop first?

Right by my house, there is a stop sign that was added a few years ago. Many people still seem to view it as an option and blow right past it. The reason it was put there in the first place was because some moron ended up in my neighbor's yard because they failed to yield to traffic and got T-boned.

But in my state afaik, to answer the original question, is that it SHOULD revert to four way stop status. But given people can't even be bothered to do that right it's pretty much a free for all when it happens.