The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Okay Seriously, there is really nothing that works on Aging skin.. Right?

Any 50 and overs can you please reply?
    I have run the gamut of So called "Beauty and anti aging stuff.
    While I probably do not look as bad as I could, in the last 2 years after the big menopause, well the skin is losing it's younger look. I have spent so much money over the last several years on all the so called wonder stuff.
    all I can say is, if they really worked there would not be so many of them, right?
    All the young years as a sun worshipper, and I mean babyoil and iodine.. at 16 and all the years training and teaching and horse showing unprotected.. well I guess it could be worse.
    I do not have many wrinkles, but I do have the sun damage, brown spots. Short of a face lift My neck will never be the same as it once was.. I look GREAT if I lay on my back and look in a mirror!
    So I guess I just accept it, Age is inevitable, and so is aging.
    Want to commiserate? Or do any of you have the fountain of youth?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Younger here so you probably dont want to hear from me but I have pretty good experience with skin care as far as being knowledgable.

You're right, a lot of it is a gimmick. However, I wouldnt give up on skin care. Finding a product that does as little as hydrates your skin will make a worlds difference. Hydrated = smoother and plumper looking skin.

I've heard a lot of mature ladies liking the Origins line. I myself have used a few of their products. If you have the patience/time, watch a few videos on youtube of ladies talking about their skin care routine, in your age group. It may give you some ideas!

1 members found this post helpful.

I use the Obagi skin care line, which is great for sun damaged skin. That and some peels got rid of all of my brown spots and sun damaged uneven look. I'm religious about sunscreen and moisturizer, especially when I am going to be out at the barn. I do have some wrinkles, of course, and my skin is starting to get that softness to it that looks like old lady skin, but that pretty much is what I am so I'm not going to get too upset over it. Retin-A helps some too, although I don't think it is as effective as promised.

I got really serious about sunscreen and moisturizer when I was 40 and met another horsewoman that I thought was 50 to 55. When she told me we were the same age I swore to myself that I was going to to age better than that. My skin looks pretty good now and I'm 55. I have friends that are not outdoorsy types that have older looking skin than I do, so what I'm doing must be working. I do think being out in the sun is the biggest factor in how your skin ages. Sunscreen, hats, peels if you can swing it, and moisturize like crazy. The brown age/sun spots are pretty easy to get rid of and make a big difference.

I'm 32.....but I have a some sun spots on my face that are driving me insane. I'm interested in hearing if anyone has something that they use successfully, too.

My mom gets them, too. She's had a few of them zapped with a laser (I think - she may have had them frozen) with some success. I'm seriously considering that for the big one on my cheek.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Oh, and the neck thing? Scarves are your friend. Also, don't look in your car's side mirror when you are banking at a drive through. I had to check the back seat and make sure my mother wasn't sitting back there somehow. Shocking. Best not to look.

12 members found this post helpful.

Another Obagi fan here. It was my present to myself when I turned 40 and that was 13 years ago. Obagi is flipping amazing. BUT....you have to be prepared to do the whole program then the maintenance, and if you aren't red, peeling and itching at the ten day mark then you are doing it wrong! You have to go thru the flaking peeling stage to make it work, but then it's just maintenance. GREAT products. Can't say enough about 'em and I tried lots of other stuff first. Obagi is number one in my book. And the Vit C Obagi serum is fab too.

I like http://www.drugstore.com/derma-e-hya...9?catid=182952
    I'm 64 and i don't think I look it
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

2 members found this post helpful.

I can't use anything with retinol in it, am allergic. I have been using Oil of Olay moisturizer with sunscreen for about 20 years now (I'm 55) and it has helped, I do like to sit out in the sun. I also use either Olay or Burt's Bees cream cleansers. If I'm sitting in the sun I always wear super duty sunscreen and a hat.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

As far as I know, the only permanent thing that really works is getting laser resurfacing done. I plan on getting it done soon. I spent my whole childhood and young adulthood swimming outside and riding horses, in Colorado where we are bombarded by UV rays. Plus it removes precancerous cells (and sunspots) and we have a lot of facial skin cancer here.

I think with (I'm 54 here) post menopausal skin you can do things which affect the surface texture somewhat like laser, peels, some moisturizers, but the big anser is no, you aren't going to find any kind of miracle topical thing which slows or reverses the aging process. When you lose your hormones (others may know more details than I) you lose some of the many layers of skin (becomes thinner) plus you lose elasticity in the skin and nothing can change that except - you can take hormones to stave off the post menopausal stuff, but I did that for aout 10 year (started at age 38) and at age 48 I was still going through the change. I began to suspect that I was just drawing the whole thing out by taking hormones (for me, I just continued my regular BC pill) and eventually stopped taking that so I could conclude this miserable process. My skin started changing after stopping the pill, two years later I finally concluded my menses, and 4 years after that I am starting to really see a droop to my skin on my face. Others don't see it, I do. Much of the rest of my skin is still pretty elastic. I think I have a ton of hormones in me still, frankly. that's the only thing which will affect your aging skin. The rest is all surface cosmetic.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

No expert here, but I like using just plain organic coconut oil on my hands and face. I don't use any "anti-age" products.

There are a number of laser treatments now that work well.

I really can't be bothered to put energy into this sort of thing but then I don't wear make up either. I'm weathered and you can see it. Oh well.

I'm 44, so not dealing with menopause skin yet. I have very sensitive, fair skin and cannot use the Obagi line (dermatologist thought it would be a bad idea). I use a SkinCeuticals line that hydrates, removes dead/dry skin, and reduces sun spots. I also have a light glycolic peel every 8 weeks. I never leave the house anymore without sunscreen.

The result? I do think my skin looks more radiant, and my slightly older friends have been lamenting that I have no wrinkles, while they do. I do have some, but they are fine crinkles rather than the deeper ones my peers seem to be getting.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Pick a skin care regimen and use it religiously. I personally use and sell Mary Kay products, and the Timewise Repair regimen would be the one you want. Basically, use a good cleanser, use sunscreen daily, use a moisturizer during the day, and a moisturizing/repair serum at night. Also pick a dark spot remover and use it religiously twice a day. Mary Kay has one and there are several over the counter products. it take a couple of months to see a real difference, but if you use it twice a day religiously you should see a reduction at least in the darkness of the spots, if they don't go away completely.

The main thing is to be dedicated to using your product, DO NOT go to bed with dirty skin, that is very again. Clean and moisturize before bed, always.

In my 50s and I like the Andalou Naturals line. I use the hydrating toner and the day cream (with sunscreen) and then the Resveratrol Q10 Night Repair cream. I think it's very hydrating, and improves the way the skin feels and looks, but it won't undo damage.

A good night cream can really help a lot.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Unfortunately at our age (I'm getting closer to 50 as well!) we are paying for what we did (or didn't do) when younger.
    I'm lucky that I did listen to my mother who was adamant we not sit/lie in the sun between 11 am and 3 pm, even with lots of sunscreen on. She also drilled into us to always, always use a daily moisturizer with at least 15 SPF, and to never, never "grill" our face in the sun. To this day I am still following her recommendations My skin looks much better than my high school friends, and I haven't done anything special to it other than the above.
    No retinol / peelings / harsh treatments etc.

I like the Oil of Olay line for mature skin (I have dry sensitive skin), I've also used and liked Roc, Yves Rocher, L'Oréal, Neutrogena, Dr Pierre Ricaud and many others. No miracles, but like others have said, always using a good, skin-appropriate moisturizer day and night helps!

Also, do not underestimate the power of good nutrition. It's not just about hormones, vitamins and other nutrients are very important as well!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Just be careful to check out the products that you use with something like the Environmental Working Group's Skin Care Report. Many of the products we use, including sunscreens, have ingredients that are harmful. I've found this guide to be very helpful when choosing products. Cosmetics are not regulated and since many people wear products every day, you do not want to be putting something harmful on your body.

I also use Beautypedia which reviews products based on their ingredients.

Both sites are real eye openers!

Personally, I use First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. My skin is dry and sensitive. This stuff is great.

On my face I use - Babyface Massive Hydration Hyaluronic Acid serum with Vitamin C and matrixyl 3000. It's a light weight serum that really moisturizes.

Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

50+ and an Estee Lauder user for years. A must is a good moisturizer and exfolidate once a week. I stay out of the sun. I'm very happy with my skin and get lots of compliments. People say I look 10 years younger than I am.

Every winter I see more wrinkles. Not sure why I dont see them in the summer as much, be it tan, more vitamin D, whatever.

And every winter I go back to my old stand-by: Dr, Weil's Mega Mushroom line from Origins. Go to the counter, play with what you think will work and take the sales clerk's advice to a point. I use the lotion (which is more like a toner), the serum (often by itself) and the eye cream as well as face cream. I use his body cream as well, but not often. It's a nice line overall, though pricey.

I also use Origin's GinZing under eye cream to refract light away from my dark circles. That and mascara/ eyeliner is the only make up I use.

Something about that megamushroom line brightens the skin, though there's no color to them. And I dont' mean a high urea content like in that Clinic shyte. It smooths out too without being greasy or waxy.

Origins is usually generous with samples too, so you don't have to commit right away.