The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Xmas Card Spinoff-Keep Em or Toss Em

What do you do with Christmas Cards after Christmas? Keep them all somewhere, Keep some of them? toss them? For those that send them and spend time planning and executing them, does it bother you that most people toss them?

Well when I did get them, I tosses them after Christmas.
    What bothers me is some people just send them out as routine, to everyone they have ever met, and no thought, just a pre printed signature.
    When I did send them, it was to people I knew, and always included a note.
    But not anymore.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Sannois, you sound like me. I stop sending them years ago. I keep a few photo cards of kids I care about. I find some of the letters a little interesting but I can't get past the "show off" aspect of them. I liked the old cards with personal notes but they are few and far between now. I can't keep up with people's addresses anymore either.

I keep letters and photos and cut up the old cards to make gift tags for presents.

3 members found this post helpful.

After Mom passed and I was trying to clear out the house, I found that she had kept every single card she had ever gotten! Boxes and boxes and boxes of greeting cards that she had received over the span of her 56 years of marriage. Christmas, birthday, anniversary, congratulatory, bereavement...

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't send them, so I don't receive many (mostly just from older relatives).

I hang them on my louvered doors and after the holiday I put them in a box under the bed. There are quite a few years' worth there, and I would feel bad throwing them away, but it's not like I ever get them out and look at them either.

1 members found this post helpful.

My work collects old calendars and Christmas cards the first couple of weeks of January. There is an organization that then picks them up. I think they use them in projects at senior centers.

My cousin also cuts them up and cuts up gift bags and makes custom blank cards to send to the troops overseas so they can send cards to family back home.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I don't send them either; just birthday cards. Xmas cards go into the collection thing at work, or the recycle box. I may keep particularly pretty or funny ones for a bit but they mostly get recycled.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Toss/recycle. Especially the ones with the "newsletters" or poems about the family's activities over the past year.

Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg