The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default losing hair? what's causing this?

This is such a weird annoying problem, but I am SHEDDING! My hair has always been fairly thin and fine (but curly so it looks like more volume) but lately it is shedding all over. I'm finding big globs of hair in the drain, in my comb, all over my clothes and pillows. What the heck is this about?!

I treat it very gently, no harsh chemicals or treatments. I never have gotten perms or dyes, don't use any chemicals beyond some gentle conditioner, don't blow-dry or straighten, comb with my fingers or a wide toothed comb.

Is it maybe nutrition-related? I could probably use some better nutrition and more sunlight, but I don't eat horribly unhealthy, and I try to take an iron pill for slight anemia. It seems like if my hair needed nutrients, my nails would too, and they're fine.

Also, it seems terribly unfair that this is only affecting the hair on my head! I could certainly do without having to shave all the time, but clearly my leg hairs are thriving, go figure.
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

Have your thyroid checked and if your'e a big soy fanatic, back off a bit.

Something in my brain is telling me to back off of cruciferous vegetables too, but I could have my wires crossed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you been sick? Have you had anesthesia or surgery? Are you perming it too often? Are you using ammonia based hair color (I think mine was a little thin because of that, so I went back to non-ammonia types of color). Have you been on a strict diet? Have you been taking good care of yourself? I noticed I seem to shed Spring and Fall like a dog-so it might be a normal seasonal thing. I agree that a routine physical, with blood tests might be a good idea. I wonder if the anemia is a factor? Your physician should be able to tell you.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

You should have your B12 levels checked, deficiency can definitely cause hair loss.

Default Vitamin D Deficiency...

I had the same problem... gobs of hair everywhere. It was so bad I thought I would have to get a wig. I was really stressed about it. You could clearly see my scalp through the hair.

I got some bloodwork done which revealed a serious Vitamin D deficiency. I am now taking 3,000 IU of Vitamin D per day (max you should take is 4,000 IU per day). My hair is growing back! I can see the growth at the scalp and along the hairline!!

Get some bloodwork done... it can't hurt.

Good luck!

My hair stylist aunt tells me that this is a thin hair problem. Everyone's hair sheds. But people with thin hair notice it more. I find it to be true. I live with three other girls and they don't have thin hair like me but I find their hair everywhere. I use natural shampoos and conditioners and do coconut oil treatments when I remember. I also never blow dry my hair. I just let it dry overnight. I find that this helps. I've heard that the Invati system from Aveda works wonders, but I haven't tried it yet.