The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Many, many jingles for my sister and her wonderful dog

My heart is breaking tonight. My sister's dog, Lola, has been feeling a little poorly for the last week. Lethargic and not eating well, though nothing else outwardly apparent. She took a very bad turn this morning, and my sister rushed her to the emergency vet (she had an appointment for tomorrow).

Lola has a mass on her spleen which is causing intermittent internal bleeding. She is going back to the vet on Friday for a second opinion/more of a work up to figure out if the mass has spread or not. If it hasn't spread, the spleen can come out, but if the mass is malignant, her prognosis is very dim. If it has spread it is down right grim.

My sister is my very, very best friend and I know how horrible this is for her. I seriously would like to drop everything and get on the next plane to Chicago to be with her, but she won't let me. Lola is sweet, silly, and an absolute doll, and NOT old at all. I've been a mess all day, and when she called for a little company while waiting for her boyfriend to arrive, we basically just cried together.

So, please, please, please send all the jingles and healing, healthy, positive energy you can to Chicago tonight to the best yellow dog. Hoping and jingling for a benign mass and a healthy Lola. But my family is preparing for the worst.
    Last edited by yellowbritches; Dec. 25, 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Poor baby. Lots of jingles from Ohio

Praying for the yellow dog and your sister who loves Lola so very much. Please let us know what the diagnosis is.

Thank you, thank you. We can all use the jingles tonight!

Watching videos of Lola's songs tonight, hoping the music will help! The Kinks and Barry Manilow certainly know how great a Lola can be!!!

Jingles for the pooch and for the humans who love her!

Jingles that spleen can be removed and Lola heals quickly!

Sending HUGE jingles for Sister and Lola

Jingles!!!!!!!!! Hoping for a Christmas miracle.

Yes, please! Highly likely I won't get to see my sister at Christmas now (she and her SO were flying to our bro's in Pittsburgh). If I do get to see her it will probably mean a very sad decision is made on Friday.

Massive jingles from VA and {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}} for all involved.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Im so sorry Dogs can live without spleens, and often times its an emergent situation where you have to decide ASAP whether or not you want to chance removing it or not, often they bleed so badly its a life or death situation that needs to be treated right away. Its great that the dog isn't in that position where you can investiage further to look for metastasis.

Often times clients will rush into surgery, knowing that more than 50% of the time a splenic mass is malignant. A lot of the dogs do live 6months-a year, but there are some that never make it out of the hospital. I have known very few cases where the splenic tumor was not neoplastic - but it does happen so here's crossing my fingers for you.

I am truly sorry you and your sister are having to go through this, especially around the holidays. Hugs to you and I sincerely hope your dog defys the odds and the mass is benign.

Yes. Sadly, you aren't saying what we haven't already been told or read. We are preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. I just can't imagine a visit to Chicago without that goofy, golden girl.

This is particularly hard as I just sat with my best friend's elderly dog as he passed. That was rough, and quite sad since he went while his mom was 3/4 of the way across the country, but he was old and was just ready to be done. If we lose her, it will be the second great dog that I have been very attached to in a month's time. Lola has been a lively, happy, extremely healthy, young-ish dog. Her only real issue was breaking her leg the year before they moved to Chicago....I'll always remember her using her cast as a weapon against her "cousins."

Jingles to Chicago!

I hope they caught it in time and Lola beats this.

Jingles for the girl. I will hope its benign and not a hemangiosarcoma. How old is she and what breed is she? Just out of curiosity.

Lola is about 8 or 9 and of unknown origin. Our best guess is probably golden/vizsla mix (weird, I know, but if you saw her you'd understand).

She's having a good day today and feeling pretty good with an appetite! So that's good. Please keep jingling and sending her positive energy. We realize how much of a long shot she is, but we can still hope for the best until we know for sure!

Adding tons more jingles, positive thoughts, and prayers for Lola.

Oh no, I teared up reading this....jingles for Lola and your sister.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Lola had a good night and is starting today off right, too. Thanks for sending her jingles!

Her appointment with the vet is at 4:00 central time today. Please be thinking of Lola and my sister then. If we get "good" news (the mass hasn't spread), we still have the difficult road of removing the spleen, so it will still be a bit of a road to travel. But we can just keep hoping for the best.

Thanks, all, for the positive thoughts and jingles. Keep it up!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I had one dog, Sparky, that had a mass on his spleen. The vet didn't think it had spread so we had the spleen removed. It was hemangiosarcoma He lasted 3 weeks after the surgery. It had spread to his lungs but wasn't yet showing on the xrays/ultrasound.

A few years later Rosie had a mass on her spleen. Ultrasound showed things on the liver and adrenal gland. She was about 13 so we decided to not do surgery since it was likely hemanagiosarcoma. We figured we didn't want to put her through the surgery when the outlook wasn't that good. She made it 15 months before the spleenic tumor was so large it was causing pain and incontinence. She had 2 mini seizures that we knew of so it may have spread to her brain.

Jingles for Lola. For what its worth Sparky did come through the splenectomy surgery very well and he was about 10 or 11 at the time.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)