The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Funny I do see Impressive as a possibility. The few Impressive bred horses I have met tend to have those very well defined muscles around the forearm even when they are not fit at all.

Sonny was Impressive N/H and he had the Popeye muscle look even after he was a pasture puff for a few years. He also did not have the pretty chiseled head or small feet. He was 15.2H and had size 2 hooves. He had a good sized jowl and short face. He needed a cob bridle for length with a horse browband to fit the wide forehead.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

None of my impressive horses had a cute head and face like that! This horse screams more Dash for Cash or Jet. Also don't see halter at all. I see a cute barrel horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

This is an interesting thread...for more reasons than I initially expected.

I still want to know about the puller / neck musculature thing which it was pointed out that I should have noticed and known about.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Funny I do see Impressive as a possibility. The few Impressive bred horses I have met tend to have those very well defined muscles around the forearm even when they are not fit at all.

Sonny was Impressive N/H and he had the Popeye muscle look even after he was a pasture puff for a few years. He also did not have the pretty chiseled head or small feet. He was 15.2H and had size 2 hooves. He had a good sized jowl and short face. He needed a cob bridle for length with a horse browband to fit the wide forehead.
    MY QH is Impressive N/N. He still has a well defined muscles (pasture puff after an accident) and can be quite the piece of work when he wants to. His nickname is GD it Bill!
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Now that I'm on a PC instead of my phone, she looks less Impressive (as in bloodlines) to me, though those shoulders still look awfully developed/cut for non-halter bred. Her head doesn't look halterish though, as someone else said.

Tall QH's are usually either halter, hunter, or racing lines. She's definitely not screaming hunter to me (not AQHA hunter anyway).

My 16 year old (that I've owned all his life) is a grandson of Ima Cool Skip out of an old foundation bred mare. Neither of his parents were large (both under 16 hands) and he came out a 16.2 MOOSE of a horse. He's extremely massive, though not cut/defined in his muscles like this mare. He's the sweetest, easiest horse on hooves to deal with, ride, train.

So flukes happen. I worry more about the "alpha" and green at her age and papers lost than anything. And the fact that she's going through several homes, depreciating in value as she goes. Red flags all over. But who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    A difficult horse is hard to sell for any price. Especially out of work and green. It's not the market, it's the challenge/lack of experience/risk.
    I agree. She's certainly not a type I would look at, and 10, green, alpha and 'powerful' sounds an awful lot like a bad character. Looking at her, I wouldn't want her for anything, and she's waaaaaay over priced, so no, there is not alot of market for THAT horse in particular.

And what's with thos steroidian shoulder m'pads??
    They snooze, they munch hay -- oh the abuse! The humanity!!! Won't someone think of the children! - rhymeswithfizz

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    This is an interesting thread...for more reasons than I initially expected.

I still want to know about the puller / neck musculature thing which it was pointed out that I should have noticed and known about.
    http://esiforum.mywowbb.com/view_top...highlight=neck

Either she's:
    a puller
    been ridden in a tight tie down forever and a week
    She's guarding some injury deep down by overusing her neck to compensate. her muscling is WACK.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    alpha and 'powerful' sounds an awful lot like a bad character.

I think alpha and powerful sounds like a kick ass gaming or trail horse.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I think alpha and powerful sounds like a kick ass gaming or trail horse.
    a bold horse for the bold rider...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    a bold horse for the bold rider...
    Today I figured out that that is no longer me! Idiot with chain saw felling large tree on our trail caused our horses to spin and run. It was a bit unsettling, though we quickly got control and dismounted, I was trembling remembering the last major spook ( different horse) when my girth broke ! I do like a forward horse...but one I can control!

Today I figured out that that is no longer me! Idiot with chain saw felling large tree on our trail caused our horses to spin and run. It was a bit unsettling, though we quickly got control and dismounted, I was trembling remembering the last major spook ( different horse) when my girth broke ! I do like a forward horse...but one I can control!
    well, forward, not sideways, right!
    GNU Terry Prachett

she looks so much like my last horse

He was a Hancock line horse, small and fit. Always a trier

When I sold him, he was schooling tempe changes and tightening the canter pirouette.

I would go look at this horse and without a registered name, I would test.

The only time my sweet QH ever dumped me was a spin spook. She spins faster than me, that's for sure. Lol only time she's ever spooked like that, but it was a train on a bridge over us, brakes squealing, couldn't really blame her for leaving in a hurry.

I don't necessarily see the bulky N/H Impressive-bred muscle; however, so many Quarter horses have Impressive somewhere back there regardless. I hardly think you can say "puller" by the muscle in the neck either. Seems like a big leap based off one photo, and looks pretty typical for a heavy-on-the-forehand quarter horse.

What would concern me, however, is the halter under the bridle. Makes me think hard to bridle.

There, that's my "jump to conclusion" for today.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerLabel View Post

What would concern me, however, is the halter under the bridle. Makes me think hard to bridle.

LOL

I have met a few that just keep the halter underneath. (like the NYC carriage peeps, drives me nuts, but they are required to keep it on.)

met one group though, they kept the halter on because their steed was nuts...maybe their doing or they just bought a nutter...but so much more going on I would never do....the halter was but a smallish problem.
    GNU Terry Prachett

green can mean many different things as well. Some view green as the horse can just barely WTC, to others it means that they aren't completely finished in a specific discipline. Before I would judge the "green" label, I would want to know what training she has had. IMO, she looks like she would be a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerLabel View Post
    I don't necessarily see the bulky N/H Impressive-bred muscle; however, so many Quarter horses have Impressive somewhere back there regardless. I hardly think you can say "puller" by the muscle in the neck either. Seems like a big leap based off one photo, and looks pretty typical for a heavy-on-the-forehand quarter horse.

Your leap to hard to bridle b/c of the halter is more reasonable than reading the musculature to interpret the mare's way of going under saddle? So a bulging underneck means nothing to you?

Too bad the ad is so bad. There may be lots of great things about this mare, or not. If the seller rewrote the ad, included pictures of the mare actually being ridden, and maybe included a video she probably would be sold already (assuming she actually is rideable).

I don't understand why people do such a bad job advertising horses. My biggest pet peeve is picture after picture of the horse under tack but not one of it being ridden. (Presumably because the photographer is the rider, but...come on! Invite a friend over and give him/her a beer for taking a few pictures!)

Ads for horses like this are the reason so many people wind up with horses beyond their ability. If this mare wasn't big and shiny and pretty, no one would be interested in her lost-papered, green at 10, alpha self. But people are blind to all of those obvious red flags because she's pretty.
    If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. "Pretty" can be created with good nutrition, grooming, and fitness. Much easier to make a homely horse into a pretty one than an older, green, powerful, alpha horse into a reliable partner. But hey! She'll look great jigging and spooking and bulling her way around the ring/down the trail. Or more likely...standing in the pasture because she's a pain to ride.

She would definitely require a visit in person.

3 members found this post helpful.

as if people are honest about their abilities, even when the horse is ugly...

On the plus side, if the beast is ugly, not a lot of people will have a problem when he's on the truck north...
    GNU Terry Prachett