The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default Walgreens denied me emergency contraception...(UPDATE post 102)

Posting on a new account, because there are members on here that know me IRL and may disagree with me, so trying to remain anonymous.

I am a 17 year old girl in Indiana, where I've read up online that it's legal for any age girl to have access to EC without a prescription. Walgreens's own website says you must be 17 or older without a prescription (again, I am, and I used my license as an ID). The lady at the counter told me I have to be at least 18 without a prescription, was pretty rude, and when I told her the walgreens website said anyone over 17 could obtain it she huffed and told me it said right on the box you must be at least 18 without a prescription.

Please understand I am trying to be a responsible teenager. If I was *extremely responsible* I wouldn't be having sex at all, I understand that. I have never done drugs or done poorly in school, and my boyfriend and I have been dating for 7 months, so I'm not a "crazy" teenager and I would hope that I wouldn't have deserved this. We tried to be responsible, the condom broke on Friday and I have been trying all weekend to be able to drive to the pharmacey but of course we got a huge snowstorm this weekend and today has been the first day I could. That makes it 72 hours, an hour ago. No, I haven't told my mother, and I deserve flack for that. I'm terrified of saying anything and have been stressing out with finals, and now this.

I'm scared but I needed to tell SOMEONE. My boyfriend and best friend are the only ones who know about any of this.
    Last edited by OhCrud; Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Call Planned Parenthood. Even if there is not one in your area, they may be able to help.

ETA: perhaps it is time to talk to your parents?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

25 members found this post helpful.

Go back and demand to talk to a manager. If he tells you the same thing then demand he call the regional manager.

20 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps you should tell your mother so she can help you get a prescription for BC's so you don't have to rely on condoms. I think 3 days after the "accident" is a bit too late for Plan B but I'm not sure. Never used it.

I hope it works out OK for you.

According to the NCSL: "Plan B, one form of emergency contraception that can prevent pregnancy when taken within 72 hours of sexual intercourse, was first approved by the FDA in 1999 for prescription use only for women of all ages. In 2006, Plan B was approved by the FDA as an over-the-counter form of emergency contraception for women ages 18 years and older; women ages 17 and younger needed a doctor's prescription in order to receive Plan B. Then, in April 2009, the FDA issued a statement announcing that in accordance with a court's order, it would make Plan B available to women 17 and older without a prescription. The FDA action did not mean Plan B was immediately available to 17-year-olds; the manufacturer of Plan B, Duramed Pharmaceuticals, needed to apply for approval to market Plan B without a prescription to women age 17 and older. Duramed Pharmaceuticals received approval in July 2009 for over-the-counter availability of Plan B One-Step (a one-dose version of Plan B) for women ages 17 years and older and prescription availability of Plan B One-Step for women younger than age 17 years. In June 2009, the FDA approved a generic prescription-only version of Plan B emergency contraceptive for women ages 17 and younger.

In August 2010, the FDA approved a new form of prescription-only emergency contraception, ella, which can prevent pregnancy if taken up to 120 hours, or five days, after a contraceptive failure or unprotected sexual intercourse.

In December 2011, the FDA approved the over-the-counter sale of Plan B One-Step for all women of child-bearing age. Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius disagreed with the FDA's decision and Plan B One-Step remains available for all ages, but still requires a prescription for women under the age of 17." http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/...tate-laws.aspx

So, according to the above, and with Indiana not showing as having any other specific state laws, Walgreens was wrong to deny you Plan B OTC as you are 17.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

18 members found this post helpful.

As a mom of a 16 year old, I think you are responsible. I would want to know so that I could resolve the situation with Walgreens. Hugs, it will be OK.

21 members found this post helpful.

I believe 72 hours is the max, too. I used it once; I went to the ER to get it because I had no idea it was available OTC. Idiot moment. Doctor and nurses were all very helpful, though. They did talk to me quite a bit to ensure that I hadn't been sexually assaulted and offered to examine me.

I agree that talking to mom would be a good idea. I know it's difficult, but mom doesn't want you to be pregnant any more than you do, OP. If you're really against talking to mom, at least find an older friend or relative who can bring you to a clinic or pharmacy. Best of luck.

2 members found this post helpful.

Do you know a woman over 18 that could get it for you? Or a friends older sister?

I agree that denying you the medicine was wrong, but politics aside, you need to get Plan B asap. Meaning you don't have time to go argue with Walgreens.

If you can't get another woman to go - I vote for telling your mom.
    Unrepentant carb eater

12 members found this post helpful.

From PP of Indiana: Plan B® is now available without a prescription for consumers age 18 or older, but a prescription is needed for women 17 and younger.

You can take it up to 120 hours after intercourse, but I'm not sure if it's as effective as within 72 hours.

If you can't reach your doctor to have a script called in, go to an emergency room. They will either give it to you there, or give you a script. Avoid hospitals affiliated with a church, they may not prescribe it. I know in PA, church affiliated hospitals aren't required to, but are required to refer and transport to a hospital that will.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

4 members found this post helpful.

I second calling Planned Parenthood. They might be able to find another resource for you.

7 members found this post helpful.

glitterless LOL I had no idea it was OTC either. Last time I got it I went through the Dr.
    Unrepentant carb eater

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    So, according to the above, and with Indiana not showing as having any other specific state laws, Walgreens was wrong to deny you Plan B OTC as you are 17.
    This is why you need to escalate it to a manager and right up the chain. Regardless of this cashiers personal beliefs you are entitled to this medication BY LAW. And right now. Get your butt back in to that store and demand they obey the law. If they still refuse you the medication tell them they need to put down in writing that they are denying you the medication and for what reason. Then call a lawyer.

This sort of thing gets my heckles up like nothing else. How dare they.

41 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    glitterless LOL I had no idea it was OTC either. Last time I got it I went through the Dr.
    I think a teenager at work told me later that I didn't need a script for it, LOL Oh well. I find I know less about sex as an adult than I did as a teen. I'm in college taking nursing and saw a female condom and a dental dam for the first time in my life this semester. I had heard of them, but had never seen them until now.

Print out the law, go back with some sort of vedio recorder going (perhaps a friend behind you waiting in line for behind the counter cold/flu medication) and ask again.

Plan B is certainly a lot easier than plan C, D or E.

FWIW the eastern religions (and myself) don't believe a spirit is there until there is a heartbeat and that is a lot later than 72 hours ...(18 days - just checked). 72 hours is really not enough time to process the gravity of what has happened let alone pull yourself together enough to take action to prevent what will impact you one way or another for the rest of your life.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Manahmanah View Post
    This is why you need to escalate it to a manager and right up the chain. Regardless of this cashiers personal beliefs you are entitled to this medication BY LAW. And right now. Get your butt back in to that store and demand they obey the law. If they still refuse you the medication tell them they need to put down in writing that they are denying you the medication and for what reason. Then call a lawyer.

This sort of thing gets my heckles up like nothing else. How dare they.
    I didn't really know what to do... she told me right on the box it said you must be 18 without a prescription. My mom is a successful business woman and I know a lot more about business than the average teenager without ever taking any classes, and I darn well know how to respectfully argue with people that are politically, or otherwise, incorrect. I just didn't really know what to do, I've never been in this position before and I just felt so small.

So... people that have been in my position, how did you go about telling your parents? Honestly I feel comfortable enough to tell his mom but I'd rather tell as little people as possible, and my mom definitely has the right to know if I'm going to go to anyone for help. Parents, how would you want your child to address this with you?

Thank you so much for all of the replies, you guys have no idea how much I appreciate this!

Quote Originally Posted by OhCrud View Post
    I didn't really know what to do... she told me right on the box it said you must be 18 without a prescription. My mom is a successful business woman and I know a lot more about business than the average teenager without ever taking any classes, and I darn well know how to respectfully argue with people that are politically, or otherwise, incorrect. I just didn't really know what to do, I've never been in this position before and I just felt so small.

So... people that have been in my position, how did you go about telling your parents? Honestly I feel comfortable enough to tell his mom but I'd rather tell as little people as possible, and my mom definitely has the right to know if I'm going to go to anyone for help. Parents, how would you want your child to address this with you?

Thank you so much for all of the replies, you guys have no idea how much I appreciate this!
    Speaking as a mom, tell her.

Some years ago I was awakened in the middle of the night by a phone call from my son in the army in Germany telling me he had an STD....
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would just ask her something like, "Mom, I need to talk to you about something really important...just you and me." Get her attention, get her away from others, and then tell her that you are sexually active, tried to take precautions but had an accident with the condom and then tell her about your experience with the pharmacy and that you need her help to get the medicine and a prescription for BC's.

I never had a daughter, but that is how I would have talked to my Mom.

Good luck and (((hugs))). Odds are that you are not pregnant but if you are, your Mom will be on your side.

16 members found this post helpful.

Oh honey, there's a real good chance your Mom knows you are sexually active.
    It's probably not going to be a surprise.
    If you were my daughter, I would want you to say "Mom, I need your help. I have tried to be a responsible young lady and have not had unprotected sex, but on x day, the condom failed, and I need your help getting plan B now."
    You are not a little girl. You are a young adult, and I hope your Mom can be there for you.
    Best wishes.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

28 members found this post helpful.

ABSOLUTELY. I am a mother of a 20-year-old daughter who just had a baby. GO TELL YOUR MOTHER so she can get you to a doctor immediately. Believe me, your mom wants to know NOW, not nine months from now.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

34 members found this post helpful.

Call planned parenthood immediately. they will help.

Talk to your mom. Just say you need to tell her about something that you feel uncomfortable about talking about. She'll get it. Trust in her to trust in you.

Good luck.

4 members found this post helpful.